Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Grinding 2nd Gear.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Balthazar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding 2nd Gear.

So from the get go I've had problems with 2nd gear in my car. I was told "that's just how it is" but I've never been exactly thrilled with that response as I don't think a grinding gear should ever happen if you are shifting properly.

Anyway it's not the kind of thing that happens EVERYTIME I go from 1st to 2nd but it has happened enough that I got into the habit of just not using 2nd.

Reading the Top 100 questions thread I saw the part about a supposed TSB for this problem.

Q: Help!! My transmission is grinding from 1 -> 2, 5 -> 6, etc! YES, I'M SURE I PRESSED IN THE CLUTCH ALL THE WAY!

A: Don't worry, you aren't alone... check out the Repairing forum for more info. There is also a TSB out for this problem. Take it to the dealer, and make them ride in the car with you. Make sure you know how to replicate the problem, or else they will not fix it.

There is no "Repairing" forum I can find, I searched this maint. and repairs forum but so far all I can find is someone saying to go check the TSB DB which I did and couldn't find anything (aside from something about the manual transmission fluid type that should be used for the MT).

So my questions are:

1) Is there a TSB for this? And if so, where can I find it to print out and take with me.

2) Whether or not there IS a TSB, if I can take my car in and, with them in the car, show them that it intermittently (I want to say mostly when cold) grinds from 1st to 2nd, will they replace my transmission (or otherwise fix the problem)?

I have an '05 with 28,xxx miles on it that I bought April 15th of 2005. So, until I read that FAQ I had resigned myself to being stuck with it, but now if i can have it fixed/replaced, I'd obviously like to in the just under a month I have left on my warranty (or is the warranty for this longer than the 3yr/36k warranty?).

Thanks in advance guys, and I hope I didn't miss some obvious thread on it, I've spent the last hour or so searching...hopefully I'm not retarded.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Balthazar

Beuller?
Old 03-23-2008, 08:07 PM
TouringThe350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warranty- They'll replace the trans. Take it now.

You should have a 5 year/ 50K powertrain warranty (not just the 36K bumper). Take it to Nissan and drive with them to duplicate it. Just had the same thing and got the whole thing replaced under warranty with 42K in an 06.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by TouringThe350

You should have a 5 year/ 50K powertrain warranty (not just the 36K bumper). Take it to Nissan and drive with them to duplicate it. Just had the same thing and got the whole thing replaced under warranty with 42K in an 06.

+1
Old 03-29-2008, 09:59 AM
350 Rookie
Banned

Theres a couple of things.

Its eithe ryour clutch or your 1/2 gear synchros

To test your clutch, put it in reverse. if it goes into reverse easy. Its not your clutch. if takes a little bit of struggle, its your clutch not disenganging.

If it goes in easy, then your 1-2 syncro needs to be changed.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:09 PM
ownZ

Originally Posted by TouringThe350

+1

Sometimes the dealers will give you BS saying it's your clutch or how you drive(which I think is a damn insult). Just keep trying every dealer you know, because all Nissan dealerships will honor the warranty. I had to try a couple dealers.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:30 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

Originally Posted by ownZ
+1

Sometimes the dealers will give you BS saying it's your clutch or how you drive(which I think is a damn insult). Just keep trying every dealer you know, because all Nissan dealerships will honor the warranty. I had to try a couple dealers.
well knowledge is power. Dealers think we are stupid and theyll ******** you. If you know what you are talking about, then you can overpower them and warranty yourself. haha.

but ya, try more dealeships.