Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Improving MPG

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:21 AM
Kelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blazed54
1) always use premium

2) on a car as new as yours the only fluid/filter i would change is the engine oil/filter. anything else will be a waste of money and not improve your mpg enough, if at all, in relation to the amount you'd spend replacing those fluids.

3) keep tires at 35psi and i've never heard of using nitrogen to fill the tires with.. don't see how this will benefit the car.

4) your car is still breaking in and mileage will continually get better over the next couple thousand miles.

5) find your actual gas mileage by using the methods mentioned above. and what does the meter in your car say is the avg mph and your avg mpg?
I find that usually the higher your avg mph, the higher your avg mpg will be. for my car, even at an avg 25mph, i get 20.3 mpg. 07 Z with 10k miles.

so if you're getting an avg 16-18 mpg and your avg mph isn't less than 25, then there's still room for improvement whether in your driving or the engine breaking in. if your avg mph is actually less than 25 then your mileage is actually appropriate.

6)finally, since you have an automatic, for everyday normal driving i would shift at like 3.5k to get up to speed. once you're at speed, just keep pressing up till you're in the highest gear allowed at that speed. if you're not going fast enough the auto won't allow you upshift so you can't ever damage your transmission in this manner.

try all these things but don't worry about having fun in your car. The 350Z and HR engine LOVES to be driven hard. As long as you're not redlining at every stoplight your gas mileage should be fine even with a little spirited driving everyday . gl
Hey, wow thanks! Lots of good information there. I'll work on the manual shifting and keep an eye on my avg mph. I appreciate those tips.

And thanks for the reassurance that I can have some fun in my Z.
It's good to keep that in perspective.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Rockin_the_Z

If you're keeping rpm under 3k then you might as well coast down all the hills too. Just put it in neutral. That will help a little bit also. Not sure though since it's an AT. Worth a try I suppose...
Old 04-17-2008, 09:35 AM
blazed54

Originally Posted by Rockin_the_Z
If you're keeping rpm under 3k then you might as well coast down all the hills too. Just put it in neutral. That will help a little bit also. Not sure though since it's an AT. Worth a try I suppose...
if you're in a manual, then coasting down hills in neutral uses more gas than staying in gear. in neutral, the engine needs to burn gas to stay running. if you're in gear but not pressing the gas, then gravity and the spinning of the wheels is keeping the engine running and very little to no gas is used. I've tried both ways many times when i first got my car and coasting in neutral everywhere, even on highways, had me averaging 18 mpg. Driving the way i do now i get 20-21 mpg.

not sure how automatic works though so i leave that up to someone else to find out.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:04 PM
tartman

Putting an automatic in neutral to coast and dropping it back in gear will shorten the life of the tranny.. Puts more stress on the transmission
Old 04-17-2008, 12:09 PM
JSDZ33

dont put an automatic in neutral while coasting. this is NOT like a manual. the pin that locks it into gear will be going up and down at the rate of whatever speed you are going and is harmful to the tranny. DONT do it, especially at highers speeds.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:48 PM
iknowitsfast

Originally Posted by Kelson
I checked both air filters and there was a snack cake wrapper trapped in one of the intakes, blocking airflow. I'm sure that was having some effect. I'm also going to switch to 93 octane or at least start using an octane booster to help as well.

Thanks!
Kelson
a SNACK CAKE wrapper?!?! hahahhahaha, ive never heard of that before. Oh and although it was subtle, you said FILTERS. god Im jealous that you newer Z guys get two intakes! also just use the 93, dont sweat the octane booster.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Kelson

Originally Posted by iknowitsfast
a SNACK CAKE wrapper?!?! hahahhahaha, ive never heard of that before. Oh and although it was subtle, you said FILTERS. god Im jealous that you newer Z guys get two intakes! also just use the 93, dont sweat the octane booster.
Yeah, my brother didn't know that either and was a wee bit jealous too.

As far as the snack cake wrapper, maybe my Z was hungry.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:21 PM
350Zforlife
370Zforlife

you were using regular on your newly beloved Z??? I was using 91 when I bought the car but now I use 93 premium.... I have heard bad things about Octane boosters ..so, I would stay away from those... Just run 91+ gasoline and you should be fine...

A.K.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:41 PM
ckthepilot

Originally Posted by davidv

I got some gasoline pills on eBay. Two pills to a tank of water. Works great.
How much were they selling for?
Old 04-19-2008, 10:37 PM
rythex

LOL @ switching to premium. Maybe you should stick with your civics.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:52 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Thumbs up

Hate to spoil the fun for some of you guys, but octane rating has NOTHING to
do with MPG! If in doubt, contact the SAE. CR did extensive research on that,
&, nope, no relationship between the two. Only reason to use premium is to
avoid pinging, "dieseling", etc. Here's a "blasphemy" for you Zed AND premium
gas lovers: None of my vehicles get premium ("Z", P'finder, Accord); NONE of
them ping OR diesel (just a mild loss in performance). Sorry for the disap-
pointment!--the "Z" heretic.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Kelson

Originally Posted by rythex
LOL @ switching to premium. Maybe you should stick with your civics.
Thanks for the constructive, helpful reply.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:34 AM
Bary626

Heh, no I didn't buy my Z for MPG. But from what I've seen on these forums, I'm getting pretty horrid MPG for the Z. I'm not comparing my MPG to what I got on other cars. Rather, just against what others get with their Zs. I want to take care of my Z and do what I can to make sure the low MPG isn't a symptom of something else.

A 10+ MPG difference is pretty significant, IMO.

Thanks!
Kelson
Kelson

Don't believe what others say as they can post what they want doesn't make it true.
The 350Z 2007 is rated 20 City - 27 highway and that's on high side for sure!
I love these people that post numbers higher then manufacture says, real trip!

I've own 16 brand new cars & never once did I get more then sticker says.
Many people haven't a clue I guess to figure their MPG because car computer is way wrong!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:54 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Does my car computer look wrong to you?

<-----------
Old 04-22-2008, 04:18 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get about 16-17 during the week when I drive 4 miles to work and back home. So my car is still running rich most of that time from being cold. When I get on the highway I get over 24-25+.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:08 AM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
Hate to spoil the fun for some of you guys, but octane rating has NOTHING to
do with MPG! If in doubt, contact the SAE. CR did extensive research on that,
&, nope, no relationship between the two. Only reason to use premium is to
avoid pinging, "dieseling", etc. Here's a "blasphemy" for you Zed AND premium
gas lovers: None of my vehicles get premium ("Z", P'finder, Accord); NONE of
them ping OR diesel (just a mild loss in performance). Sorry for the disap-
pointment!--the "Z" heretic.
So if it works for you its a fact? great logic.

Your motor will retard timing from low octane way before you audibly hear any pinging, once you hear your motor pinging damage is already being done. Maybe not catastrophic damage, but certainly not good.

Some people bought the Z as a sports car, so performance is a big thing on their mind and running an octane that does not make their motor pull timing is priority.

I can understand the desire to maximize your MPG. But I refuse to save a whole $2-3 per fill up to put crap fuel in my car and causing it to NOT run properly, and under the right conditions WILL do damage to your motor.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:49 AM
350Zforlife
370Zforlife

Originally Posted by nkohler
So if it works for you its a fact? great logic.

Your motor will retard timing from low octane way before you audibly hear any pinging, once you hear your motor pinging damage is already being done. Maybe not catastrophic damage, but certainly not good.

Some people bought the Z as a sports car, so performance is a big thing on their mind and running an octane that does not make their motor pull timing is priority.

I can understand the desire to maximize your MPG. But I refuse to save a whole $2-3 per fill up to put crap fuel in my car and causing it to NOT run properly, and under the right conditions WILL do damage to your motor.
Agreed 100% ... If I wanted a car that uses regular gasoline and get 500 MPG, I can buy a Toyota Corolla ....

Last edited by 350Zforlife; 04-22-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Kelson

Originally Posted by nkohler
I agree completely.

My concern, however, is that I'm wasting considerably more than just a few bucks per fillup compared to fellow Z owners because of my lower-than-normal MPG, even with 93 octane fuel.

I most certainly did not purchase my Z with the notion that it would get fantastic MPG. However, if most others can manage to pull 24-30mpg out of their Zs and I'm only eeking out 16-19 or so, then something's not right.

I'm paying close attention to my driving habits, so I'll see if I can increase the numbers any just by driving more evenly and slowing down a bit. Also, once I get my first oil and filter change, I'll see if that has an impact. Finally, since i'm at only about 2,200 miles on this vehicle, it's still breaking in, so it may improve a bit on its own in a few thousand miles.

Thanks again, folks.
Kelson
Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 PM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

FWIW- I average 22mpg and drive in a mix of traffic driving back and forth from the office.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:46 PM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree completely.

My concern, however, is that I'm wasting considerably more than just a few bucks per fillup compared to fellow Z owners because of my lower-than-normal MPG, even with 93 octane fuel.

I most certainly did not purchase my Z with the notion that it would get fantastic MPG. However, if most others can manage to pull 24-30mpg out of their Zs and I'm only eeking out 16-19 or so, then something's not right.

I'm paying close attention to my driving habits, so I'll see if I can increase the numbers any just by driving more evenly and slowing down a bit. Also, once I get my first oil and filter change, I'll see if that has an impact. Finally, since i'm at only about 2,200 miles on this vehicle, it's still breaking in, so it may improve a bit on its own in a few thousand miles.

Thanks again, folks.
Kelson
Since you have been running low octane if I were you I would put premium in it and reset the ECU so that it re-learns its maps. ECU resetting procedure is found here: or you can unplug your battery for a full 24hrs, however not many people can let their car sit that long.

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm

IMO 16-18mpg is low, I drive fairly aggresively in my 2003 and I typically see 20mpg at the worst, ususally i stay in the 21-22 range with combined city/highway and giving it hell every now and again.

Quick Reply: Improving MPG