Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch engages all the way at the top??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 01:22 PM
ZenDragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch engages all the way at the top??

Ive had my Z for a couple weeks now and I test drove a few Z's before deciding on this one. During my test driving both new and used Z's I dont remember anything like what I am experiencing with this car. I have been driving a stick for over 5 years now so I don't think this is really a issue of skill, though this clutch feels significantly different than any other car I have owned, so it may just be an matter of getting used to it.

Nevertheless, I wanted to ask here if this was normal before I make a fool out of myself at the dealership trying to get them to fix something that's not broken.

Basically the clutch doesn't grab until maybe the top 1/4 or less of releasing the peddle. Most cars I have driven would "feather" somewhere near the middle and grab hard at 3/4s, but it seems like this car doesn't grab at all until 3/4s. This has resulted in some rather embarrassing stalls which I have never really had a problem with in my previous vehicles.

Please tell me I am not crazy.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:22 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a DIY on here as to how to adjust the pedal travel. First question though. How many miles does it have on it? If it's excessive, the clutch could just be shot.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:39 PM
ZenDragon

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
There is a DIY on here as to how to adjust the pedal travel. First question though. How many miles does it have on it? If it's excessive, the clutch could just be shot.
I bought it used with about 44000 miles on it.

Still have a while to go on the factory drivetrain warranty, I just want to make sure I get these kinds of things fixed before the warranty is up, so Ive been very attentive (maybe paranoid) to all the possible issues.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:08 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

If the previous owner drove the rear off of the car or if they were a "clutch-rider", it could very well just be a worn clutch.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:18 PM
ZenDragon

If the previous owner drove the rear off of the car or if they were a "clutch-rider", it could very well just be a worn clutch.
So what you are saying is that it is not normal?? lol
Old 05-02-2008, 03:29 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

To be vague. Maybe. Maybe not. The Z definitely engages a little later and with more force than some are used to (me included. I killed it on my test drive!). You might see if you could test drive a new one to feel the difference.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:31 PM
AVmagneticZ

I have the same issue I barley push in the pedal its annoying and for me hard to get used to I'm a beginner at stuck though. but compared to Honda cars its way harder since it's so close to the top. car has 22000 miles on it so I don't k now if its worn clutch but apparently this car is know for its high friction point on the clutch
Old 05-02-2008, 03:35 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Originally Posted by AVmagneticZ
I have the same issue I barley push in the pedal its annoying and for me hard to get used to I'm a beginner at stuck though. but compared to Honda cars its way harder since it's so close to the top. car has 22000 miles on it so I don't k now if its worn clutch but apparently this car is know for its high friction point on the clutch
Apparently you're having problems because you've got a grain on you clutch.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:47 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you just need to get used to it... when the clutch starts slipping when it's fully engaged.... then you have a problem.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:49 AM
AVmagneticZ

Apparently you're having problems because you've got a grain on you clutch.
haha sorry barely
Old 05-03-2008, 11:02 AM
AdriaN-

ya the stock clutch engages high... i hate it.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:40 AM
ZenDragon

Yea it doesn't seem to be slipping at all. I was driving a SE-R Spec-V previously which is almost just the opposite, it engages way down at roughly 3/4 pressed, so this has really taken some getting used to. Maybe I just didn't notice on the test drives because I wasn't being so nit-picky due to the fact that I didn't own it yet! haha
Old 05-05-2008, 03:41 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

I got stubby little legs, so it's a good thing that it engages late for me.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:57 AM
eclipZe

I've developed this problem in the last couple of weeks. Clutch engaged way sooner when I got the car. Now my foot's almost off the pedal when it engages. Also doesn't seem to be grabbing as well as it did in any gear.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:13 PM
VT-RDZSTER

This is interesting because I have just been thinking the same think lately with my Z. Just picked up my 2004 350Z roadster about 2 months ago, and like ZenDragon's, my car had 44000 miles on it (up to 46400 now). Maybe it is just me and I am either getting more used to the car or didn't pay enough attention to it when I first got it, but it also seems to me that the clutch engages just at the very top before it is completely let out. It also feels really soft and light (much more so than other manuals I have driven). I wondered if the clutch is going on me but it seems to shift alright and when I gun the engine and when it is fully engaged there is no slipping of the RPM's (which is what I have been looking for). I really wonder if I am just getting used to the car because I feel like it drives a little different than when I got it but it could just be my imagination. Someone once told me that the closer to the top that the clutch engages means your clutch is wearing out. I don't know if this is true or not. It seems like from what others have said on here that the Z's tend to engage high on the clutch. I have been trying various shift/clutch techniques to get the smoothest shifts and I now find myself barely pushing in the clutch between *****. It does tend to shift smooth (and quick) with this technique. As long as it isn't something that is not good for the car, I'll keep driving this way... If someone knows otherwise please let me know.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Musto

Originally Posted by VT-RDZSTER
This is interesting because I have just been thinking the same think lately with my Z. Just picked up my 2004 350Z roadster about 2 months ago, and like ZenDragon's, my car had 44000 miles on it (up to 46400 now). Maybe it is just me and I am either getting more used to the car or didn't pay enough attention to it when I first got it, but it also seems to me that the clutch engages just at the very top before it is completely let out. It also feels really soft and light (much more so than other manuals I have driven). I wondered if the clutch is going on me but it seems to shift alright and when I gun the engine and when it is fully engaged there is no slipping of the RPM's (which is what I have been looking for). I really wonder if I am just getting used to the car because I feel like it drives a little different than when I got it but it could just be my imagination. Someone once told me that the closer to the top that the clutch engages means your clutch is wearing out. I don't know if this is true or not. It seems like from what others have said on here that the Z's tend to engage high on the clutch. I have been trying various shift/clutch techniques to get the smoothest shifts and I now find myself barely pushing in the clutch between *****. It does tend to shift smooth (and quick) with this technique. As long as it isn't something that is not good for the car, I'll keep driving this way... If someone knows otherwise please let me know.
I would get your clutch checked out, it shouldnt be soft and easy to push it, theese clutches are decently firm. i would say my clutch engages at 40% to full release...or a little closer to the floor than halfway out.

you might need to replace the clutch.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Ztouring04

ill tell you wut i have an 04.5 touring with 30k and my clutch is still rock hard engagement piont is wierd ...i just onna change it out for a jwt cltuch and end it aahh
Old 07-08-2008, 10:39 PM
mikez97

Originally Posted by Ztouring04
ill tell you wut i have an 04.5 touring with 30k and my clutch is still rock hard engagement piont is wierd ...i just onna change it out for a jwt cltuch and end it aahh
ahh i love my JWT clutch and flywheel you wont be dissapointed.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:44 PM
AVmagneticZ

im getting that rpm slip up when im flooring it sometimes but i feel maybe thats just the bumps im going over in an uneven road? like my car jumping but i dont think all my wheels are commin off the ground so **** i guess its slipping?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:33 PM
R-TuneZ

i just had my 04's trans/clutch/pressure plate/release bearing/pilot bearing replaced earlier today and i assume that my car now would be very much like driving a new z. my clutch catches as soon as i begin to release the pedal, maybe an 1/8 of the way up.

it sounds like your clutch assembly is worn though, considering what you are describing. a large factor is the year. pre-04.5's had a dual mass flywheel and a normal clutch setup. post-04.5's came with a self adjusting clutch and different flywheel which would be a clear indicator that your clutch is severely worn down.

either way your warranty does not cover any clutch components, nor does it cover master/slave cylinders; i assume one of the aforementioned pieces is the culprit.

Quick Reply: Clutch engages all the way at the top??