Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch engages all the way at the top??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Musto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R-TuneZ
i just had my 04's trans/clutch/pressure plate/release bearing/pilot bearing replaced earlier today and i assume that my car now would be very much like driving a new z. my clutch catches as soon as i begin to release the pedal, maybe an 1/8 of the way up.

it sounds like your clutch assembly is worn though, considering what you are describing. a large factor is the year. pre-04.5's had a dual mass flywheel and a normal clutch setup. post-04.5's came with a self adjusting clutch and different flywheel which would be a clear indicator that your clutch is severely worn down.

either way your warranty does not cover any clutch components, nor does it cover master/slave cylinders; i assume one of the aforementioned pieces is the culprit.

what did they charge you to replace all of that? and did you have the whole trans replaced?
Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 PM
CSF

Originally Posted by R-TuneZ
i just had my 04's trans/clutch/pressure plate/release bearing/pilot bearing replaced earlier today and i assume that my car now would be very much like driving a new z. my clutch catches as soon as i begin to release the pedal, maybe an 1/8 of the way up.

it sounds like your clutch assembly is worn though, considering what you are describing. a large factor is the year. pre-04.5's had a dual mass flywheel and a normal clutch setup. post-04.5's came with a self adjusting clutch and different flywheel which would be a clear indicator that your clutch is severely worn down.

either way your warranty does not cover any clutch components, nor does it cover master/slave cylinders; i assume one of the aforementioned pieces is the culprit.
i've never heard that before

EDIT: where did you hear this?

Last edited by CSF; 07-10-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:01 PM
R-TuneZ

Originally Posted by CSF
i've never heard that before

EDIT: where did you hear this?
im sorry, i did not state the information correctly at all, i was pretty exhausted when i posted that last night.

cars that were made post 08/2004, which are considered 2005's, contained the new self adjusting clutch.

cars pre-08/2004 contained a different clutch which is not self-adjusting. i got confused because my car had the self-adjusting clutch type even though it was made pre 08/2004, and i thought it was the other way around or something..?
Old 07-10-2008, 04:15 PM
R-TuneZ

Originally Posted by Musto
what did they charge you to replace all of that? and did you have the whole trans replaced?
yes, i had the whole trans assembly replaced yesterday. the trans was covered under warranty so it didnt cost me anything. to replace the clutch disk and pressure plate, i paid 390. not too bad... considering i would have payed 800+ if i had to have the clutch replace at a later time.