Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

VDC Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 PM
ICEMAN76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDC Problem?

I bought my 2003 350Z track, about 4 months ago.
there is a stretch of highway that is about 1.5 miles down hill with some curves. I always put the car in Nuetral while going down the hill( gas prices are a *****) I have noticed that while going around the corners once in awhile the car will shudder like the brakes are locking up or something, I was thinking that it might have something to do with the VDC? once when it did it the slip light came on. Conditions: dry pavement going around 60 or so. the corner isn't that sharp. they car should easily do that around the corner. I haven't messed with the tires or rims. I find this to be very unnerving, I would hate to have it happen to me when the conditions are wet ( of course I would not be going that fast on wet pavement) I was wondering if this type of thing has happened to anyone else? any ideas?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:55 PM
R-TuneZ

i go faster then 60mph on wet pavement all the time, no problems. if the slip light is flashing, this means that the VDC system is active, thus the shuddering from your brakes. however if the slip light is staying on, this could mean that there is a problem with the system. either way VDC should not be compensating for anything during highway cruising unless you are making sharp turns... this does not sound right. maybe you should experiment with it a little bit, see what triggers this phenomenon. is it only during 60mph+ highway driving? my VDC usually does not kick in unless i have lost traction around a sharp turn, due to excessive speed, etc...
Old 07-23-2008, 03:45 AM
ICEMAN76

I don't know why it shudders at that speed in this corner, I find it hard to believe that I'm losing traction, the road does have some ruts in it maybe that makes the VDC think that it is losing traction. I'll I know is that if it is kicking in and it does that when it's wet out, I'll be heading for the autobody shop or worse.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:18 AM
jbudnick504

Thats weird I had a problem with mine but only when I lowered the car too much
Old 07-23-2008, 07:20 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

have your alignment checked....if one tire is experiencing more force than the other the VDC will recognize that...........

is it a possibility one or both of your rear's could be out of alignment?

-j
Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 AM
robertinmesa

there is a stretch of highway that is about 1.5 miles down hill with some curves. I always put the car in Nuetral while going down the hill( gas prices are a *****)
placing the car in neutral allows the gas to flow through the injectors. leave it in gear with cruise on and the gas will stop flowing when necessary to maintain speed(engine brake). you will improve you MPGs.

i would play with the VDC a little and see what triggers your problems. It sounds like you should take it in and have it looked at.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:23 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ICEMAN76
I always put the car in Nuetral while going down the hill
I had to stop at this dumb remark. Sorry.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Z'd

check your front and rear tire pressures.

Even with OEM wheels and tires, if the fronts are newer than the rear and particularly if there is a difference in pressures, it could cause this problem.

Speaking from experience.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:53 PM
SC 350Z

get hte car alligned had the same problem, as stated above your car is prob out of allignment like mine was it was cause an uneven amount of pressure on the left rear tire and anytime goin into a right hand turn with the vdc active the slip light would always come on with any speed over 50mph,OR just every time you get in the car turn the system off. VDC
OFF
Old 07-30-2008, 09:17 AM
chromesilverz

Agree. Check your tire pressures...you might have a nail.