Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Squeeky belts..........?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:59 AM
ChrisCJ99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeky belts..........?

So I have a 2005 Enthisiast, and I've had a TN kit installed in March. The cars been flawless but just recently I've noticed a high pitched "chirpy" squeek for the first 5-10 mintues of driving the car... I've read arounf about what it could be, and I've seen that it could be the belt "crystalizing"... I did notice that when I had my TN kit installed there was some coolant spilled in a few places (since they had to install new coolant lines). So I'm sure some got on the belt...

But my question is, is this the BELT making the squeek or the pulley? I can't tell..... I'm thinkin I need to replace the belt soon, but my other question is, WHICH belt do I change. I've read that there may be TWO different belts.... So I'm not sure I've never changed a belt, or had a squeeky car Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:47 AM
bmoeller

I'd say spray some belt dressing on it first, then if that doesn't fix it check into other options. My power steering belt squeeked quite a bit, especially right after a wash, but this took care of it. Just a thought.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:11 AM
ChrisCJ99

Thanks for the tip anyone else have any input?
Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 PM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the belt dressing will probably work temporary, but honestly with the climate changes we deal with probably would be best to replace with a high quality belt. If your tensioner was adjusted incorrectly during the original installation the belt could have stretched out. Usually when a pully is squealing it shreds belts like no other. If your not having belts wear out on you inside of a month then its probably not the pulley. Hope that helps.

As to which belt to choose i've never had much luck with anything outside of stock with squealing. Gates of course is a good pick.

Last edited by HondaKiller; 08-22-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Bih350z

Default Chirping or squealing sound wont go away

I have a 2003 350z. About mid way through the winter I noticed a chirping sound when I would turn on the car, its been doing it since I bought it, but it ONLY does it when its cold outside. It slightly chirps and thats the end of it. About a month ago I turned it on to take it for a drive, The chirp was constant. It lasted about 5-10 minutes before I just turned off the car. I changed my pulleys and my belts and figured it was a sure fix, I fired it up and the same problem occurred, I realized it gets softer when I press the clutch, so I took the clutch out, cleaned it and realized it was rubbing every time it would spin, I then put a spacer in it just to keep it from rubbing and I fired it up and it still made the same noise, anyone else have this problem?