Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Nissan says my car is Abused and trying to make me sign a disclaimer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 07:52 PM
bixby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by sith
Absuse?
you guys consider that abuse?

well then i guess Nissan didn't really do to much thinking when they released the media about this "sports car". funny how they did The Run, then they had all those demonstrations of it going around a race course marked out with cones. And wasn't there original statement a car for under $30,000. that will go 0-60 in under 6 seconds?

is no one else recalling these marketing campaigns.
Lets see we have 2 maximas, a Truck, a pulsar NX Turbo
and in the past we had 200sx, another truck, 2 sentras.
Not to mention i convinced many friends to buy 2003 SE-R spec V
a 200sx, a maxima, and a 240sx.

The point is the car was designed to be a Sports Car right, but at the same time a daily driver right? Then why is it considered abuse that i have ran my car at the track maybe 3 or 4 times? in the 9 months i've had it.

The trannys are going out no matter WHAT you do to them, case in point my buddies tranny just went out on his at 3,000 miles and he's never raced it.

And i also went and talked to the dealer and i agree'd because he said it's Nissan's own fault. When they replaced it the last time they replaced it with the old tranny and not the new revised one.

if the tranny code ends in 05 it's the old one, the new one ends in 06.
Yes......and it was a marketing campaign . Just like every other car maker. I haven't seen any jeeps climb to the top of Mt. Shasta & drive to the edge of a cliff. Come to think of it, I've not had any beautiful women fall all over me (except my wife) when I order up a bud light either. Boy wouldn't it be nice to have those coors light girls hanging around while you suck down their beer. Again, not trying to flame anyone here. And maybe you do consider your driving to be normal. Bottom line____ if you want to race your car you have to consider the risks you are taking like voiding your warranty. My question is..... How hard are you going to drive it after the warranty is gone? The obvious answer is, you'll probably sell it to some sucker who will inherit all of the headaches you've created by running the crap out of it. The add will read: "For Sale, original owner, super clean, always garaged, low miles, MUST SEE!" The fine print should read "Ran the Sh-t out of it, had 6 tranny's, 2 engines, & 4 differentials, etc. and now it's a big piece of sh-t" More power to you sith

Last edited by bixby; 08-12-2003 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:01 PM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by bixby
Yes......and it was a marketing campaign . Just like every other car maker. I haven't seen any jeeps climb to the to of Mt. Shasta & drive to the edge of a cliff.
i like that one!
Old 08-12-2003, 08:47 PM
sith

Actually i plan on Voiding the Warranty very soon.
I just want a decently designed transmission so i don't have one more headache to worry about.

Fact is fact
and that fact is that Nissan knows the tranny is a piece of crap and that is why they revised it and that is why they are replacing 1 out of ever 20.

Pretty bad odds if you look at how many Z's have been sold.

And their Campaign was to target a buyer, a buyer who wants a car that performs. And if you ask any one at Nissan they will tell you that racing does not void warranty !!

I was singled out because they screwed up the first time and put in another bad tranny and because i bought the car when i was 20. even though i'm still now only 21. but that's not the point the dealer has hated me since the day i told them to shut up and just fill out the paper work cause all they did was tell me how i could not afford one.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:00 AM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by sith
the dealer has hated me since the day i told them to shut up and just fill out the paper work cause all they did was tell me how i could not afford one.
maybe there is your problem....it's called an attitude. he's going to treat you just like you act. with no respect. he might not have thought you were serious about buying...but that doesn't mean you have to be a jacka$$. i'm sure you didn't say what you wrote...but i'm sure you weren't 100% easygoing about it all.

also...how come everyone has so many problems with their z? i've never had any of the problems. no tranny problems, no tire feathering, no window streak, no nothing! did i get the only z that was put together well...and with some though? what exactly went wrong with your transmission?

djk
Old 08-13-2003, 05:52 AM
nandoarc

Originally posted by djkern
maybe there is your problem....it's called an attitude. he's going to treat you just like you act. with no respect. he might not have thought you were serious about buying...but that doesn't mean you have to be a jacka$$. i'm sure you didn't say what you wrote...but i'm sure you weren't 100% easygoing about it all.

also...how come everyone has so many problems with their z? i've never had any of the problems. no tranny problems, no tire feathering, no window streak, no nothing! did i get the only z that was put together well...and with some though? what exactly went wrong with your transmission?

djk
Right on the money, djk. Well said.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:45 AM
jackwhale

djk: You are not the only one who has a Z without any of these problems; I have the other one.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:49 AM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by jackwhale
djk: You are not the only one who has a Z without any of these problems; I have the other one.
nice....finally another person that makes me feel like i'm not missing something (well, technically i'm not missing the problems). but, you know what i mean...missing as in overlooking! we got the "handle with care" z's!
Old 08-13-2003, 07:08 AM
bixby

djk
No problems here either. Oh wait, I did have the window grease issue but it went away on it's own. Are our cars different colors? Maybe they made 1 good one in each?
Old 08-13-2003, 07:32 AM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by bixby
No problems here either. Oh wait, I did have the window grease issue but it went away on it's own. Are our cars different colors? Maybe they made 1 good one in each?
mine is a silverstone. i thought i had the window streaking once...but realized it was just my dogs nose streaks on the window. haha. when i have to drive with him in the car...he likes to sit on my lap and look out the window! but, usually i tell him to sit in the passenger seat and he stays there. (no, he's not this big dog that sheds everywhere....he's a miniature pinscher that's about 7 pounds...if that! haha....so, he makes no mess of the car!)
Old 08-13-2003, 04:29 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

I truly am glad you guys have been so lucky as to have no issues. And the added smugness is a really nice touch.

Let's be very clear about a few things. There is a problem with the tranny. Nissan knows there is. There is also a problem causing tire feathering. Nissan admits this. There is a TSB for the window grease issue, so obviously Nissan believes it is an issue.

Regarding those who have not had any issues, there is a reason the term failure rate exists. Not all failures occur 100% of the time. That does not mean that you are driving better than someone whose car has these issues. It just means that all the conditions exist to replicate the issue in their car and not yours. The reasons for this difference could be many. Build date and part revisions are probably the most important, but only Nissan has all the info to analyze.

As has been pointed out, there are people that have had the tranny issue replicate with extremely low miles driven normally, meaning no racing. Speaking of racing, what is worse, someone who has gone to the drag strip a couple of times, or someone that runs the car hard on the back country roads on a regular basis hours at a time. Well, actually neither can be absolutely stated as abuse. Bottom line, the manufacture has to prove the car has been abused and probably that the abuse caused the failure under investigation (not positive what the warranty or civil codes state on that second half.) Look at BMW; they tried to deny several M3 engine failure claims due to what they called abuse. In the end, they finally admitted there was an issue with the engine. Oh, and their proof of abuse was from logs in the ECU showing over-revving. Sounds like abuse, huh? Well, until you add the fact that the car in question has a SMG II tranny, which should ensure that the engine is never over-revved in any condition, upshift or downshift.

Sith,

Does the letter specify what they define as racing?

Does it then point out how they can prove that you have at sometime done this?

Does it define abuse, and how they correlate the two?

Does it quote from the warranty how they are allowed to require you to sign such a waiver?

Is this a Nissan North America document?

Have you confirmed that NNA initiated this request?

Have you asked NNA how this relates to the other users that have had multiple transmissions replaced?

Have others been asked to sign the same waiver?

JD
Old 08-13-2003, 04:48 PM
sith

Ok well i got my car back today, talked to the service manager and he said he talked to Nissan and they said don't have me sign anything, that there is no point and just have me sign the release forms like usual.

This is what my release form states:

Called Tech Line and due to this vehicle being raced on a regular basis tech will not make the decision for the new trans. Nissan Warranty will need to make the decision. Service Manager talked to Nissan Warranty and authorized replacement of the trans. Installed new trans assy. Test Drove, No other problems found.

That's all it said.

And to the guys he believe that it's my fault.
your entitled to you own opinion but.
#1 don't think just cause what i've posted on here you know me and how i act.

#2 just cause your Z has no problems doesn't mean you are god

#3 don't call me an ******* becaue i was being treated like crap. They wouldn't even let me test drive the damned thing, they said not without money so i told them then i'm not intrested. Then they said a dealer had to go with me, then they wouldn't let me drive a 6-speed. Then just as we walk outside the Z that i ended up purchasing comes rolling in with 2 young kids in it that took it for a drive and weren't even serious about buying it.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:44 PM
gotagetmyZ

My second tranny just gave way to the 3rd gear grind once again. I am waiting for the tranny to come in and so far they haven't mentioned anything about a disclaimer (knock on wood).
I have 20,000 mi. on the Z and for some weird coincidence the first tranny had the exact 3rd gear grind at 10,000 miles. Sure I drive the car hard but something just ain't right! My car has had to many problems: bad trannies, tire feathering, clicking sounds from rear and front, loose this loose that, missing motor mount bolt, loose front strut bar, window grease and service engine light has come on once..... damm whats next? With so many negatives there is no way in Hele I'm signing a disclaimer for anything. I believe one more bad tranny with 3rd gear grind and the "lemon law appies". Either that or its time for a trade in (Supra maybe)

Just m$.02

D-Rock
Old 08-13-2003, 07:39 PM
fresno350

Default tranny

how do you know if you have the 05 or 06 tranny you were talking about??
Old 08-13-2003, 07:45 PM
sith

If you haven't had your tranny replaced and you've had your Z for awhile i'm pretty sure it's safe to say you got the 05

if you've had it replaced look on the receipt that the dealer gave you.
and it should say the serial # and CD006

CD005 is the old tranny
Old 08-13-2003, 11:06 PM
spazpilot

sith:

glad to here you didn't sign anything. i agree this a sports car and it should be driven hard. nissan just has a bad attitude. there god and everyone is wrong. i have some of the problems mentioned in these forums but afraid that if i take it in, it will get worse so i live with them. sad but true.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:09 PM
sith

noway man
you payed 30+ for that thing take it in and keep taking it in until it is perfect.

That's why you buy a new car
Old 08-16-2003, 09:33 PM
uro279

Default Virtually without probs

Having said that, I disagree with those implying that others with probs are abusing. Very judgemental and short sighted. Besides, maybe your talking too soon?

Besides, I just got my second "service engine soon" light tonight. First time gas cap. Second time? It came on after washing my car!

Abuse? Hope not. Otherwise I'll just have to keep my car dirty. Less cleaning!
Old 08-16-2003, 11:03 PM
eskimo

the computer in your car keeps track of EVERYTHING that you do. every RPM that it was shifted in each gear, every gears max RPM it's been at...how many times...etc. so, they will know what's going on. that's probably how they know you are abusing it. if you don't believe that the computer knows all of that...come to my buddies shop...he'll hook everything up to your computer and show you all the info.
::cough:: BULLSH*T!!! ::cough::

only the last five seconds before the air bags deploy
Old 08-21-2003, 12:23 AM
jreiter

<...snip...>
also, the computer in your car keeps track of EVERYTHING that you do. every RPM that it was shifted in each gear, every gears max RPM it's been at...how many times...etc. so, they will know what's going on. that's probably how they know you are abusing it. if you don't believe that the computer knows all of that...come to my buddies shop...he'll hook everything up to your computer and show you all the info.

I'm hesitant to believe it keeps logs which are *that* detailed. I do agree, though, that the computer indeed keeps track of specific types of abuses. A good example would be logging how many times you've hit the rev limiter. That seems reasonable, as hitting the rev limiter is pretty hard on most engines. (Depending on how the limiter works.) As someone else mentioned in another post up above, the M3's do that. Those types of engine logs came into play when all the M3 engines were being ruined. (By a bad crank shaft bearing, if I recall.)

But anway, while I don't think the computers are 100% Big Brother, I do believe they keep track of excessive abuses. In Sith's case, I'd be very interested to hear exactly what information the service department was able to extract from the computer.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:39 AM
djkern
Banned

ok, believe what you want...he's hooked my computer up to it. it has records from when i got it december of 2002. if that's "only the last five seconds before the air bags deploy"....you are correct. but, i seem to be driving it now...air bags in tact and all. but, the computer stores mor einfo than you know...so they WILL know if you are abusing it. believe what you want though...your car is your car...treat it how you want to. i'll treat my car how i want to.

Quick Reply: Nissan says my car is Abused and trying to make me sign a disclaimer!!!