Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Nissan says my car is Abused and trying to make me sign a disclaimer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 08:12 AM
mdelia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

um, no way that's possible. People would have found the storage device for the car by now. It might store things like when a CEL was thrown, but it won't store when the car was shifted in every gear.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:16 AM
djkern
Banned

the numbers he showed me were VERY detailed. more than just peak rpm and average rpm. there were thousands and thousands of rpm listings and speeds and average times. for all i know the computer that was hooked up to my car could have been a gimmick...but it was VERY VERY detailed. more detailed than i even expected. i'm just stating what i saw when he did it to my car.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:39 AM
jackwhale

djk: I agree with your observation. I don't want to compare Chevy with Nissan but the Chevy service dept was trying to figure why a 'check engine' light kept turning on and when they hooked up the computer, he mentioned that I had been speeding at a certain time on a certain day (two weeks previous). I looked at my calender and I indeed was speeding home from work.

I find it hard to believe that the computer stores all information from every minute the car is running throughout the life of the car; but there must be certain specified conditions that determine when information is stored. i.e. rpm at red line, O2 sensor variation, overheating, etc.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:43 AM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by jackwhale
djk: I agree with your observation. I don't want to compare Chevy with Nissan but the Chevy service dept was trying to figure why a 'check engine' light kept turning on and when they hooked up the computer, he mentioned that I had been speeding at a certain time on a certain day (two weeks previous). I looked at my calender and I indeed was speeding home from work.

I find it hard to believe that the computer stores all information from every minute the car is running throughout the life of the car; but there must be certain specified conditions that determine when information is stored. i.e. rpm at red line, O2 sensor variation, overheating, etc.
yeah, that sounds more like it. maybe all those numbers were just me speeding or going over a certain RPM that nissan has as a cut off marking. maybe EVERY number is far fetched. but, they do store more than a lot of people think.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:46 PM
jreiter

The idea of the car's computer logging extremely detailed info about my driving habits has me very interested. I would love to dig deeper into this topic.

I don't yet own a Z (working on it), but I do currently own an Audi A4. I also own the VAGCOM software for it (works with all OBD-II VW/Audi cars), which allows my laptop to interface with the OBD-II port. I can see and adjust just about every aspect of things about the ECU, but I don't know of a way to access these driving logs. (If even possible.)

Is there similar aftermarket software available for Nissans? Anyone know if any of this software can access those driving logs? And better yet... modify them?

I'm a privacy nut. While I don't mind the ECU logging excessive abuses like hitting the rev limiter, I definitely do not want it logging everything I do with the car.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:29 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Joe,

Probably your best source of info other than the dealership, would be Chebosto. TechnoSquare would probably have noticed at least a portion of the datalogging.

Sounds like an even better reason to run an aftrmarket EMS.

JD
Old 08-21-2003, 03:23 PM
uro279

What's an EMS?

Thanx
Old 08-26-2003, 08:43 AM
NCSUteg

nm you already talked about the memory stuff...

97 gsr