Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Changed Coolant and now AC does not work???

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 PM
robbinsj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changed Coolant and now AC does not work???

I changed my coolant the other day with my retarded friend that is an actual mechanic. I was installing a oil cooler and a coolant hose that goes to the stock sandwitch block was in the way. The tard told me it was a oil return from the engine and I removed "as oil was drained" but I got covered in dark neon green fluid. Thus I drained all the fluid and bought some discount auto 50/50 to top her off. We filled it up while the car was running until full then we put the heat on and pushed the gas to heat her up "Tards idea". Then after it was heated the tard told me to remove the radiator cap, I told him he was stupid and that alot of boiling fluid will shoot out. The tard argued and claimed a little will come out but mostly just trapped air. To say the least I was right and the mechanical tard was wrong. As I watched the neon green gyser cover my new VIS CF fusion hood untill it stopped and we could put more fluid in. We capped it off and everything seems fine when I am driving except the pure fact that my AC NO LONGER WORKS! Concidering I live in FL I am hating this majorly. Does anyone know WTF is wrong or does the radiatior fluid have nothing to do with it and it was simply bad timing on it dying. The odd part is it worked perfect when I was working on the car just the day before and after I changed the coolant and ran the heater it is dead. I also have a TN kit in witch the rerouted the AC lines but I called them and they told me that would have nothing to do with it. Anyone ever herd of this? The car is 3 years old and only has 33,000 miles and the AC is out. PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by robbinsj; 11-14-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:24 PM
SoldzMyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Air is in the coolant system when you disconnected the coolant line in the oil filter area. You need to purge all of the air. He was kinda right, but there is a purge valve near the battery that you use to purge all the air. Search for in in the forums for the full instructions.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Low coolant or air trapped in the system will not cause the A/C not to work. The heater may not work but the a/c is a separate system. The only way that could cause the a/c not to work is if your car is overheating and the ecm shut down the a/c to prevent damage. To answer your question....not sure what you did to cause the a/c not to work. Can you hear the compressor turning on when the a/c is on? If not then you disconnected something for the compressor.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:24 PM
robbinsj

Originally Posted by Tim@Performance
Low coolant or air trapped in the system will not cause the A/C not to work. The heater may not work but the a/c is a separate system. The only way that could cause the a/c not to work is if your car is overheating and the ecm shut down the a/c to prevent damage. To answer your question....not sure what you did to cause the a/c not to work. Can you hear the compressor turning on when the a/c is on? If not then you disconnected something for the compressor.
I can not hear the compressor, where is it located and what possibly could have been disconected?
Old 11-16-2008, 02:27 PM
robbinsj

Opened the radiator cap and fluid is not full to the cap. I put more fluid in and now I am looking for the coolant purge valve near the batter and can not find it. Anyone know where this is ?