Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Vent in drivers door

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 11:03 PM
JimH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vent in drivers door

I accidentally broke the vent(s) for heat/AC in the drivers door. Does anyone know how it comes out? I am in hopes it pops out while leaving the door panel in place. Anyone know? Thanks, Jim
Old 08-21-2003, 11:23 PM
JimH

Default Re: Vent in drivers door

Here's the vent I am asking about:
I am wondering if I can pry under the brushed aluminum (plastic) ring and pop it out towards me? Regards, Jim

Originally posted by JimH
I accidentally broke the vent(s) for heat/AC in the drivers door. Does anyone know how it comes out? I am in hopes it pops out while leaving the door panel in place. Anyone know? Thanks, Jim
Old 08-22-2003, 10:33 AM
Silver350inOK

I did the same thing. Accidentally rammed it with my leg getting into the car. They're replacing it under warranty though. I gave them the pastic clip that held the 3 vents together, which wasn't noticeably damaged...but I'm guessing that is an enclosed unit and that they couldn't manipulate it to get it back on.

So......take it to the dealership and they may just fix it under warranty.

Just don't tell them you broke it.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:14 PM
JimH

Default Vent broken

Ahhhhh, that I could go the warranty route I am already well over 36,000 miles and my mfg. warranty has elapsed. I do have the extended warranty, (I knew I would be driving my Z!) but that is a $50 deductible and I was in hopes of doing this myself. Thanks for the reply!

Originally posted by Silver350inOK
I did the same thing. Accidentally rammed it with my leg getting into the car. They're replacing it under warranty though. I gave them the pastic clip that held the 3 vents together, which wasn't noticeably damaged...but I'm guessing that is an enclosed unit and that they couldn't manipulate it to get it back on.

So......take it to the dealership and they may just fix it under warranty.

Just don't tell them you broke it.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:52 AM
FrankieZZ

Default Broken Door Vent

First off , hi Jim ? How are you and Linda these days ?Hope things are fine . While down in the garage hiding the wiring for my Beltronics Vector F1 Accelerometer along the dash of the Z , I took a look at that air vent slat that was broken . The air vent appears to be all one unit with the door release unit . If you lift up the door opener ring , you'll see what looks like a phillips screw head underneath holding the whole chromed unit ,( the door release and air vent )to the door.
If you look into the airvent and turn the slats you'll see thay are attached inside the vent to a fulcrum , so they won't be able to snap out , but rather it looks like you need to change that entire door/airvent unit . Good luck ! Keep in touch !

FrankieZZ
PS I read somewhere that you had 39,000 miles ??? You are amazing !
Old 08-24-2003, 03:27 PM
JimH

Default Re: Broken Door Vent

Hey, Frankie! Good to hear from you. Thanks for the info on the vent removal and I will proceed shortly.
Yup, too many miles and well beyond the factory warranty already
Unfortunately (fortunately?) I won't be going too far too soon as I paid the price for running around the country a few weeks ago. I ran over to Colorado to meet w/some Z's for a "Run thru the Rockies" kind of thing on the 1st of August. Five days and 2,100 miles later I arrived back home again. It was a stunning and terrific run! Two days after getting home I went into a Gran Mal seizure and then full code on Friday morning the 8th of Aug. To make a long story short, I didn't come out of things until Sunday the 10th. I had contracted the West Nile virus from two mosquito bites on my forearm while in CO.
I spent 6 days in the hospital where they told my wife that if I recovered, there was a very good chance I would never speak nor walk again From Friday thru Sunday I fought the staff, tore out my IV's, etc. They could not do the spinal tap series because I was fighting too hard. I remember none of this whatsoever. Finally, Sun. afternoon, I came out of it and they could/did go to work on me in earnest.
After 6 days they released me, but I am awfully weak, yet talking and walking! I give God the glory thru this because the med. people did not give my wife and son any encouragement because I should have come out of the seizure within 20 to 45 seconds and I was in seizure for at least 2 hours and they had not seen that before. Never had a seizure before in my life, nasty lil' virus this West Nile virus
I'm back because I have "Places to go, people to see and Porches to pass!" (Oh, and a vent to fix) Your friend, Jim

Originally posted by FrankieZZ
First off , hi Jim ? How are you and Linda these days ?Hope things are fine . While down in the garage hiding the wiring for my Beltronics Vector F1 Accelerometer along the dash of the Z , I took a look at that air vent slat that was broken . The air vent appears to be all one unit with the door release unit . If you lift up the door opener ring , you'll see what looks like a phillips screw head underneath holding the whole chromed unit ,( the door release and air vent )to the door.
If you look into the airvent and turn the slats you'll see thay are attached inside the vent to a fulcrum , so they won't be able to snap out , but rather it looks like you need to change that entire door/airvent unit . Good luck ! Keep in touch !

FrankieZZ
PS I read somewhere that you had 39,000 miles ??? You are amazing !
Old 08-25-2003, 01:21 AM
FrankieZZ

Default Glad you're better !

Hi Jim ,

So sorry to hear about that West Nile Virus incident . You hear about other people getting this , but you never think it could be you . It sounds like that medical staff was really out there, too !I hope you are getting back your strenght .Julie and I want to send you something . Could you PM me your mailing address in Arizona ? By the way , that Colorado trip sounded like a blast !When I finish up this last school year , I'll hope to join you and the other coast people for a lot of these trips . We just did a 1,000 mile trip to and through Mount Desert Island in Maine with the Z , and I'm still grinning from ear to ear !I can only begin to imagine the fun you had going cross country last year ! Please take care of yourself and I'll be in touch soon ! All the best and get well !

Frank and Julie