Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Scraping/squeeking noise - Front right side?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Echo853

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Scraping/squeeking noise - Front right side?

Looking at some other posts, it looks like it may be a belt. Given the location (sounds like it is coming from under the front right headlight), any specific thoughts?

This just started tonight when I was about 50 feet from my parking stall at home. I'll be bringing it into the shop tomorrow, but I'm wondering if it is fine to drive, or if I should be looking at spending the money to get it towed. So far, no noticeable performance effect (thankfully).
Old 05-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Mazinger Z

I think I have the same symptoms. Maybe a sound clip? I'll try to get one too...
Old 05-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Echo853

A little more information today. When my wife and I went to look at the car this morning, here's what we saw.

Picture of front passenger side (plastic shield is improperly fastened):

Picture of front driver side (plastic shield is in the normal position):

Video of car squeaking when I sit in it with the engine off:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c26-MRFfdm8

Video of car squeaking/scraping when driving forward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iai-qW_XDUo

I've phoned the local Nissan dealership and described the problem, then offered to send them a link to the pictures and videos. They declined. When I asked if the car would be fine to drive to the dealership without being towed (which I'm pretty sure it is, since it is making noise even with the engine off), they said they wouldn't know until they had a chance to examine it on a lift.

Anyway, I suspect that the noise is simply the plastic shield rubbing against something it shouldn't be, and that it'll be fine to bring it. I'll have another car trailing behind me just in case I break down or I lose a piece on the highway.

I'll include updates later, just in case anyone ever has the same problem.

Last edited by Echo853; 05-06-2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Youtube videos wouldn't embed. :(
Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 AM
sayito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the first video doesn't sound like plastic rubbing against something, that is metal vs metal. idk
Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Mazinger Z

Yea, sounds like you needa grease something. Nvm, that's not my sound :/
Old 05-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Echo853

The noise has stopped. I brought it into the Nissan dealership anyway, and they tried to sell me on $500 worth of crap that I don't need, including a servicing that I'm 3,000km away from, which is a long time considering my daily round-trip commute is 5km.

I told Nissan I would think it over, and contacted a local mechanic. After he saw the pics and videos, he stated that it was probably a rock that wound up somewhere it shouldn't, and worked itself free. If it happens again, bring it straight to him, otherwise don't worry about it. Apparently he gets a lot of these this time of year. No cost for this consultation.

Back at Nissan, I go to pick up my car, and they again push me to spend $500 on an early servicing, claiming this will fix the issue. I needed to press the guy to find out if they were able to determine where the squealing noise was coming from. They finally admit that they simply bent the plastic guard back into place, and suggested that they could permanently correct it by drilling holes into my frame and zip-tying it into place. I decided this probably wasn't a very good idea.

End of the day the car runs fine, I only spent $30, and I think I have a new place to bring my car.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:34 AM
08350zboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what year is your Z? i have an 08 that makes a rubbing/sraping sound when I turn my wheel all the way to the left or right while turning. I only have 1400 miles on my car. Did you get your sound resolved? If so, what was it? Thanks