Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Newfoundbiker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!

Ok so I need help here please, I own a 2003 Nissan 350Z and I'm having overheating problems, today I replaced the thermostat in the car and the car is still overheating, I have called around to garages and what not they say it could be the water pump, sensor, or maybe even head gasket I live in Newfoundland, Canada.

The nearest Nissan dealership is over 2 hours away for me so I'm trying my best to have to avoid towing in the car for service. I have had pressure test done on the car at 30psi and it never budged, had it on the car for about 10 mins. Thermostat was replaced this afternoon but didn't make a bit of difference, still rising it's temp bar. Also checked oil to see if any coolant was in it but it was clean. If I decide to go with replacing the water pump what kind of labour is involved?

If worse comes to worse, and it is the head gasket how much we talking for the gaskets? Labour? Nissan quoted me 16 hours labour to do the 2 gaskets, never gave me a price on them. So anyone with any suggestions on what to do please help! Thanks guys
Old 05-22-2009, 06:16 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Air bubble in the system? There is a bleeder for getting air out, little valve right about in front of the battery cover, under a screw cap. Very common to have to do that whenever you have opened up the cooling system, as in replacing a hose and/or thermostat. Get the car up to temp, open that up a bit, and bleed off any air that might be there. Assume the fan is kicking on when it should? I'm guessing bad thermostat, which you addressed, and then air in the system.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Newfoundbiker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the thermostat was changed today, when I took off the coolant cap coolant would pulsating out of it randomly when the car heats up. We tried to filling it up a few times and bleed the lines, maybe it is airlock but only a short 1 min drive up the street the temperature hand was up close to max. So nobody thinks it could be a water pump?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:27 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a suggestion. Put a subject in the subject line like

Squeaking brakes

instead of

Help

Need help immediately

or

If you don't help right away I will die!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:35 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you may have air in your system now at least. It's a common occurrance after work like what you've performed... Do a search and you'll find the proper way to bleed air out of your car. I understand you had the problem before but you might as well make sure there isn't any air just in case the thermostat actually was the problem but you're getting the same issue because there might be air.

Also, when you say it might be a sensor, I assume you're talking about the car incorrectly reporting that the engine is hot. Does it feel hotter to you under the hood? You should be able to tell the difference between the car running normally and overheating.

If it's still overheating at that point, it may be the water pump but I don't read of those going bad very much at all on the 350. Good luck.

Last edited by cheshirecat79; 05-22-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I retitled and move your 1st thread to the correct section. Please see it. I am having this thread locked...

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...-and-down.html