Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

HELP!! Car shakes at 2000 RPM!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:39 AM
importdemon5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experience a vibration sound along with the vibration going through my cars body when I am decelerating around 2-25k.. My problem is with the stock y-pipe and the hf cats that have no bracket supports. It's just my shaking exhaust I think lol. Don't know if that helps you..

What I would do is jack it up have someone push in the accelerater and you lay under the car listeing to where it is coming from, then go from there
Old 06-05-2009, 07:37 AM
PrOjEcT ZeE

lol i just posted this in another thread
i hade a similar problem but mine was acting like it was going to die, this might help some people not everyone. i jacked the car up disconnected the o2 sensor after the cat just the green one passenger side and started my car up and the problem went away i never had the problem again. in my case with no tune running headers/exhaust and etc my car is running too lean killing my 02 sensors hopefully this helps someone
sounds like my problem. i'll try that later on in the day. so how long do you leave it out or should i replace the O2 sensor?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:43 AM
PrOjEcT ZeE

I think I know what you’re talking about... Are you talking about as you are decelerating or accelerating slowly in a specific gear that it happens to cross the 2000-2300 - 1700(Maybe not this low) RPM area and begins to receive a awkward and pronounced vibration through the car... i.e. Steering Wheel, Shifter, perhaps maybe the clutch pedal and other pedals..?

nope the car is in neutral and no speed involved just the RPM coming down from 5000k, and i just check this morning when the car was warmed up it's starts to vibrate at around 1800 RPM. and the car vibrates.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:44 AM
PrOjEcT ZeE

I wonder what it is... if that is the "Shake" or "Vibration" that you are talking about.. Could it be perfectly "normal" like the loud throw out bearing or crazy clutch that these cars have?

nope didn't happen before
Old 06-05-2009, 07:50 AM
PrOjEcT ZeE

I have wondered about this... Could it be a mechanical issue? Maybe we need to get some of those "Engine Stabilizer" mechanisms in order to avoid the shake of the engine or drive train..? This is only a suggestion...

If i do get one of that (engine stabilezer) it won't solve the problem. it will stop the vibration. but the problem is still there.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:53 AM
PrOjEcT ZeE

I experience a vibration sound along with the vibration going through my cars body when I am decelerating around 2-25k.. My problem is with the stock y-pipe and the hf cats that have no bracket supports. It's just my shaking exhaust I think lol. Don't know if that helps you..
i have a full cat back so my Y pipes are after market. guess i'll jack it up again later on today.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:52 AM
ag4670

if it works then i would replace the o2 sensor, if not try disconnecting the other sensor to see what happens. if its a o2 sensor i would replace it but if you dont got the time to replace it just cover up the plug from the engine from water and etc
it was easy to tell with my car since i mod my greddy evo2 into a true dual so i could tell what side it was coming from since one side sounded different from the other
Old 06-08-2009, 07:09 AM
PrOjEcT ZeE

if it works then i would replace the o2 sensor, if not try disconnecting the other sensor to see what happens. if its a o2 sensor i would replace it but if you dont got the time to replace it just cover up the plug from the engine from water and etc
it was easy to tell with my car since i mod my greddy evo2 into a true dual so i could tell what side it was coming from since one side sounded different from the other
well i change all the o2 sensor this week end and still it didn't work, well next i'll try my air sensor. but the air sensor is around 300 bucks. man don't want to jump the gun until i know it's the air sensor.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:58 PM
ag4670

i didnt mean you should replace the o2 sensor bro just disconnect it to trouble shoot the problem, before you waste anymore money i would find someone in your area that wouldnt mind you using the air flow sensor to trouble shoot the problem also this might be along shoot but get some fuel injector cleaner maybe they are clogged thats what mine sounded like until i traced it back to my o2 sensor which was the last thing i actually messed with after i pulled each spark plug out my intake and cleaned my aif flow sensor and a number of other things
Old 06-09-2009, 08:07 AM
PrOjEcT ZeE

i didnt mean you should replace the o2 sensor bro just disconnect it to trouble shoot the problem, before you waste anymore money i would find someone in your area that wouldnt mind you using the air flow sensor to trouble shoot the problem also this might be along shoot but get some fuel injector cleaner maybe they are clogged thats what mine sounded like until i traced it back to my o2 sensor which was the last thing i actually messed with after i pulled each spark plug out my intake and cleaned my aif flow sensor and a number of other things
i use fuel injector cleaner every other tank of gas, and how do you clean the air flow sensor? i don't want my car to start having problem so early in cause i only have 32k on the Z. i'm slowly picking up parts to build it to a 300HP N/A my goal for the Z.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:19 PM
ag4670

i used some quick dry electronic cleaner be very careful i doubt its that cause i cleaned my air filter once and didnt wait long enough for it to dry and caused my car to die and throw a light and etc have you tried reset the ecu yet i had the same goal but realized i wouldnt be happy with just 300 so im gonna boost instead and hopefully make 4 something with my 5at
Old 06-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Xzero

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just installed a 1/2" spacer & used the stock strut bar, that's probably why it shakes. The plenum is hitting the strut bar & making the car, steering wheel & gas pedal shake. Happened to me after the dealship got theirs hand on my car for warranty work...
Old 06-11-2009, 07:35 AM
PrOjEcT ZeE

i used some quick dry electronic cleaner be very careful i doubt its that cause i cleaned my air filter once and didnt wait long enough for it to dry and caused my car to die and throw a light and etc have you tried reset the ecu yet i had the same goal but realized i wouldnt be happy with just 300 so im gonna boost instead and hopefully make 4 something with my 5at
what kind of quick dry electronic should i get? none of my lights came on, i used a snap-on OBD2 cpu to check it had no codes everything was fine.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:41 AM
PrOjEcT ZeE

If you just installed a 1/2" spacer & used the stock strut bar, that's probably why it shakes. The plenum is hitting the strut bar & making the car, steering wheel & gas pedal shake. Happened to me after the dealship got theirs hand on my car for warranty work...
i don't know why but when i installed the 1/2" spacer the strut tower bar just fit perfectly. i'll check it at noon. thanks this might help.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:47 PM
ag4670

Originally Posted by PrOjEcT ZeE
what kind of quick dry electronic should i get? none of my lights came on, i used a snap-on OBD2 cpu to check it had no codes everything was fine.
weird!! did you ecu reset after you installed the exhaust and spacer? maybe it was a bad batch of gas or the ecu corrected the problem it self
Old 07-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Summoning this thread from the grave.

Went to home depot today and when I left BAM! Shuttering, low acceleration, in all gears, I felt the shifter vibrating, the rear, it was like I had a loose tire or something! It only does this while in gear, it wont do this when I rev the car in neutral.

Got home with this, took the (-) off the battery, and waited about 2 hours while I was building my workbench in the garage.

BAM! Turned on the Z like its all good, no shuttering of any kind in any gears ( granted I only drove it around the complex by earlier today it was shaking even then)

Only mods I have are Y pipe, and exhaust. I am guessing this must be something electric since It was fine before I parked it at home depot...
Old 07-29-2013, 07:33 AM
darkhonda2k2

We saw that behavior as a symptom of misfire. we had a coilpack failing and as it went we had short bursts of no power and that type of shaking, first sign was the shifter

it didnt throw a code right away, took about 4-5 times before one lasted long enough for the computer to take notice. when it finally did it was a generic P0300 and took a lot of testing to find which cylinder had the bad pack.

Originally Posted by go7roo7
Summoning this thread from the grave.

Went to home depot today and when I left BAM! Shuttering, low acceleration, in all gears, I felt the shifter vibrating, the rear, it was like I had a loose tire or something! It only does this while in gear, it wont do this when I rev the car in neutral.

Got home with this, took the (-) off the battery, and waited about 2 hours while I was building my workbench in the garage.

BAM! Turned on the Z like its all good, no shuttering of any kind in any gears ( granted I only drove it around the complex by earlier today it was shaking even then)

Only mods I have are Y pipe, and exhaust. I am guessing this must be something electric since It was fine before I parked it at home depot...
Old 07-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Z33Garage

Originally Posted by darkhonda2k2
We saw that behavior as a symptom of misfire. we had a coilpack failing and as it went we had short bursts of no power and that type of shaking, first sign was the shifter

it didnt throw a code right away, took about 4-5 times before one lasted long enough for the computer to take notice. when it finally did it was a generic P0300 and took a lot of testing to find which cylinder had the bad pack.
It kept having issues and I got the cyl 5 missfire code. Took cyl5 coilpack and swapped it with cyl 2 pack and I am currently waiting on any issues...so far so good no shaking or missfires
Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 AM
darkhonda2k2

Originally Posted by go7roo7
It kept having issues and I got the cyl 5 missfire code. Took cyl5 coilpack and swapped it with cyl 2 pack and I am currently waiting on any issues...so far so good no shaking or missfires
that is exactly what i did once it finally threw a 0301 CEL...swapped with cly2 and it took us about 2 weeks before we saw the misfire there. then we replaced coil and no issues since.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Z33Garage

Originally Posted by darkhonda2k2
that is exactly what i did once it finally threw a 0301 CEL...swapped with cly2 and it took us about 2 weeks before we saw the misfire there. then we replaced coil and no issues since.
I figured if the plug is bad it would cause a bigger " missfire" in cyl 2 since its in the middle of crank assembly. On my way home for lunch I swore it did a baby missfire but I wasn't sure and the SES did not light up. Should I be worried during this coil pack testing period about the car going lean or something, since I am not sure how the ECU handles a missfire when regarding the a/f.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Car shakes at 2000 RPM!! HELP