Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Please help with this cooling system problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:16 AM
blackfairlady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help with this cooling system problem

My 350Z has only 41,000 miles and I just noticed yesterday some white milky specs / spots floating on the surface of the coolant expansion tank. I also opened up the radiator cap, to find the same deposits. I then scooped out a little bit of the white stuff, and wiped it on a rag, only to see it was really light brown in color. The expansion tank also has a brown film inside of it on its walls.

I know that this sounds like a bad head gasket, but I refuse to believe it is true. The car's only five years old, 41k miles, and I sure as heck don't beat on it.

I suspect the culprit to be the Redline Water Wetter I added after my last coolant change about 10k miles ago (using Nissan OE coolant). I read someone having a similar problem with brown gunk forming in his cooling system online, so even though I take many things I hear online with a grain of salt, for my sanity I am running with the possibility that the Water Wetter is what is causing this.

I plan to go back to the dealer to flush out the current coolant and replace it with new. I doubt that this will remove the white/brown deposits in the system. What can I, or rather the dealer, do to completely clean the inside of the cooling system? Please help.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:16 AM
blackfairlady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump
Old 06-21-2009, 12:11 AM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brown deposits could be the very early stages of acid build up, which indicates it's time for a coolant drain and refill.