Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

check engine soon? code p1084

Old 06-29-2009, 04:28 AM
  #1  
joeyz12
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine soon? code p1084

tried looking up the code but had no luck. does anyone know what that code means?

thanks
joeyz12 is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 05:18 AM
  #2  
Boogshag
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Boogshag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 459
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

i tried doing some research for you, but i could only come up with that particular code for BMWs...and it was:

Fuel Control Mixture Rich (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

I couldnt find a general code for it or a nissan specific code..
Boogshag is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 AM
  #3  
PerfZ
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
PerfZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: hilliard ohio
Posts: 2,402
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

P1084 Fuel Control Mixture Rich (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
This was not specific to the 350 so can't guarantee it but it was a simple Google search.

OBDII nissan P1084
PerfZ is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 05:25 AM
  #4  
joeyz12
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

thanks guys. i took it into the shop and they plugged the device in and all it said was the code and "description unavailable"
joeyz12 is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 05:44 AM
  #5  
Boogshag
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Boogshag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 459
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by joeyz12 View Post
thanks guys. i took it into the shop and they plugged the device in and all it said was the code and "description unavailable"
sounds like they really helped you out...
Boogshag is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 06:06 AM
  #6  
joeyz12
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Boogshag View Post
sounds like they really helped you out...
they said they would get back to me today with an answer but i want to see that happen

problem is they reset the light so if i go to the dealer there wouldnt be anything to diagnose. correct me if im wrong
joeyz12 is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 06:36 AM
  #7  
Boogshag
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Boogshag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 459
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by joeyz12 View Post
they said they would get back to me today with an answer but i want to see that happen

problem is they reset the light so if i go to the dealer there wouldnt be anything to diagnose. correct me if im wrong
I dont think resetting the light deletes the code...but dont quote me on it
Boogshag is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 06:45 AM
  #8  
305LOPEZ
Registered User
 
305LOPEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Miami-Kendall, FL
Posts: 105
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

It does delete the code. You will have to wait until it the CEL comes back up before you take it to the dealer.
305LOPEZ is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 06:59 AM
  #9  
joeyz12
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 305LOPEZ View Post
It does delete the code. You will have to wait until it the CEL comes back up before you take it to the dealer.
dam shouldnt have taken it to the shop
joeyz12 is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 07:04 AM
  #10  
305LOPEZ
Registered User
 
305LOPEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Miami-Kendall, FL
Posts: 105
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by joeyz12 View Post
dam shouldnt have taken it to the shop
If it's a real problem to be concerned about the CEL should appear within the next 300 miles. I could've very will just been an ecu fart lol
305LOPEZ is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 07:13 AM
  #11  
joeyz12
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 305LOPEZ View Post
If it's a real problem to be concerned about the CEL should appear within the next 300 miles. I could've very will just been an ecu fart lol
im hoping it was a fart
joeyz12 is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 07:14 AM
  #12  
crg914
Registered User
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 1,734
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by joeyz12 View Post
thanks guys. i took it into the shop and they plugged the device in and all it said was the code and "description unavailable"
That's because anything that starts with a P1xxx is a manufacturer specific code and a universal scan tool most likely will not read it.

The only codes that by law have to be available for all shops/diagnostic equipment is P0xxx codes.
crg914 is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 07:16 AM
  #13  
joeyz12
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by crg914 View Post
That's because anything that starts with a P1xxx is a manufacturer specific code and a universal scan tool most likely will not read it.

The only codes that by law have to be available for all shops/diagnostic equipment is P0xxx codes.
but i looked all over the internet for that code for a 350z and couldnt find anything. nither the 2 posters above. any ideas?
joeyz12 is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 07:25 AM
  #14  
crg914
Registered User
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 1,734
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

It looks like PerfZ posted what it was. If you want to be 100% certain it will have to be read by a Consult III, which is the Nissan OEM diagnostic tool.
crg914 is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 07:30 AM
  #15  
350z 6spd
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 568
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

p1084 in the 07 service manual is the EVT control position sensor. Not sure what year your car is though. If it's an 03-05 non-revup it would mean something else b/c they don't have EVT and could also be different for an 06 even if it is a revup with EVT.

Last edited by 350z 6spd; 06-29-2009 at 07:32 AM.
350z 6spd is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 07:53 AM
  #16  
joeyz12
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 350z 6spd View Post
p1084 in the 07 service manual is the EVT control position sensor. Not sure what year your car is though. If it's an 03-05 non-revup it would mean something else b/c they don't have EVT and could also be different for an 06 even if it is a revup with EVT.
its an 06 rev up. what is the evt control position sensor?
joeyz12 is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 08:13 AM
  #17  
350z 6spd
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 568
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The rev-up has both variable intake valve timing and variable exhaust valve timing. On the back of the motor there are sensors that read the position of the intake and exhaust cams. The EVT control position sensor (in this case the code reads for bank 2.) is the sensor that reads the position of the exhaust cam on bank 2. It tells the ECU where the cam is and the ECU adjusts the advance/retard of that cam accordingly. Again, I'm not sure if this is the problem because I am looking at the 07 service manual and we are talking about two different motors/ecus so the codes may or may not be the same.
350z 6spd is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 08:17 AM
  #18  
VO...
Administrator
iTrader: (25)
 
VO...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Down Under & Dirty
Posts: 58,629
Received 2,732 Likes on 1,830 Posts
Default

Moved...
VO... is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 08:24 AM
  #19  
joeyz12
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 350z 6spd View Post
The rev-up has both variable intake valve timing and variable exhaust valve timing. On the back of the motor there are sensors that read the position of the intake and exhaust cams. The EVT control position sensor (in this case the code reads for bank 2.) is the sensor that reads the position of the exhaust cam on bank 2. It tells the ECU where the cam is and the ECU adjusts the advance/retard of that cam accordingly. Again, I'm not sure if this is the problem because I am looking at the 07 service manual and we are talking about two different motors/ecus so the codes may or may not be the same.
just called up the dealer they checked the code and told me exactley what you said- the evt sensor. now im just curious if theres a problem with this how does it affect my car performance wise etc.
joeyz12 is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 11:08 AM
  #20  
350z 6spd
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 568
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

If your dealer hooks up the consult 3 they can see if it is actually the sensor or if something else is causing it to throw that code. I cant see it affecting the performance too bad considering the non-revup de motor didn't even have variable exhaust timing but, I would fix it.
350z 6spd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: check engine soon? code p1084


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: