Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

"safe Mode" Duhh......

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 06:57 AM
daking350
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation "safe Mode" Duhh......

If anyone ever experienced the Z go into SAFE MODE it is a fugged up experience and you WILL know when it is in SAFE MODE, trust me...Any way, I installed a "wet" line for my N2O system and a NISMO CAI the other day and had the battery unplugged for several days while doing some work on the car..After sitting for a few days I went to start the car and it kept stalling out on me, strange...I thought that the fuel was not getting to the engine and the fuel rail adaptor may be the culprit so I removed it..Still stalled..Checked the CAI made sure all the lines were tight and the Mass Airflow Sensor was plugged in..still Stalled..eventually the car started and ran but all the dash lights were on "check engine light" "vdc" and "slip" and the car would not rev past 2500 rpm, this is safe mode when the car detects a problem somewhere.
So now the trouble shooting begins, Check ALL the fuses, I mean even the ones that are under the hood burried in the battery compartment where you have to take off the plastic shroud that covers the wiper motors/windshield and all the rest of the fuses you can find...everything ok..Double and TRIPLE check the MAS and the fittings all good...OK wait I found the little rubber gasket that goes in between the stock MAS and the CAI still attatched to my old INJEN CAI, maybee thats the culprit. So I (remember this part kids it will make sense in the end) COMPLETELY REMOVE the MAS and unbolt it(as I have done about 50 times in the past with my injen intake) and place the seal in between(is a 3" o-ring gasket) and put it back together.Well now the car wont start at all....So I unplug the MAS and the car starts but runs in SAFE MODE again..WTF???Shut car off plug in MAS and car wont start!!!UH OH, I fugged up my MAS right!!!Where am I going to get a new one in time for MY shows this week?(NY,englishtown and the nationals in NH) Guess I am screwed and going to miss all my shows that I have planned so hard for
So now we are going on about 4 hours of troubleshooting and calling everyone I know and asking questions I reach the point of disgust and pick up the NISMO instruction booklet to throw it across the room in anger..But wait I happen to look down at the booklet that happens to be open to the page where there is the picture of the CAI installed and SOMETHING looks different
Guess what guys!!!I put my friggin MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR IN BACKWARDS....SO the car was getting all wackey readings and not running right.Now keep in mind I have removed and reinstalled my MAS probably 50 times in the past and like 3 times while troubleshooting my car last night..So I fix it, start the car and everything is normal again, but I am still a stupid AZZ..Let this be a lesson to all you DIY ers out there to PAY ATTENTION to the instructions and what you are doing cause a stupid little mistake like that cost me 4-5 hours of my life...Oh well I can laugh at myself now

Last edited by daking350; 10-02-2003 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:20 AM
SirMikel1

1 down.. 1 to go
Old 10-02-2003, 06:53 PM
BriA5

I know the feeling on the mass airflow sensor. I was in safe mode for a few days on an '01 Explorer I was driving because I got a single blade of grass in the sensor. What a mess.. thought the car was in trouble the way it was driving... turns out not a big deal for a BIG change in driving demeanor.