Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Newby, major problems '03 automatic Z . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:23 PM
wildlifeartisan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby, major problems '03 automatic Z . . .

Bought 2003 350z with 97000 mi. from a private seller. She said no problems with car at all. Got it for a low price. Find out later it hadn’t been licensed for last 2 yrs. but had put 25000 mi. on it.
Would not pass emissions when I got it. The transimission started messing up and AT Check and Service eng light stayed on. Several codes came up and a couple were U1000 and U1001. The torque converter and transmission went out right away. AMMCO rebuilt it. Drove it about 300 miles and Service Eng light came on again, transmission seemed fine but went into safe mode and stayed in 4th gear. Took it back to AMMCO. They put in a Engine computer and replaced the “burnt” Neg. Ground Wire to the battery. (Wierd the Neg Grnd is burnt). They sent it to Nissan and got the Eng. Computer flashed there. I took it to Advanced Auto and got a Gel Battery put in. I drove it a couple hundred miles, got the emissions done and passed and got license plate. Drove a couple hundred miles and now the service engine light came back on and transmission went to safe mode again. Codes came on of P1517, U1000, U1001, Catalyst, Evap, MIL on.
When it is running for a few hundred miles at a time it runs like a new car, it’s great. This is driving me crazy that the problem can’t be found and I don’t have much money left to get it fixed for good, if someone can find the problem for good. Obviously the previous owner wasn’t honest with me. I don’t know if maybe it ran off the road into water or what in the world could have happened or something just went wrong? AMCO is saying they believe for sure it is electrical but so far they haven’t fixed it.
I need to find the problem and have a diagnostic person show me that they have found it for sure. I don't know where to take it to get a correct diagnosis. I live around Atlanta, GA. I can’t keep dropping money into this car I don’t have any left.
HELP, please.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:01 PM
freedonutss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So why are you taking it to AMCO?

www.forgedperformance.com

they will take care of you. Its on 75 north and shouldnt be too far from atlanta, ga.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:00 AM
wildlifeartisan

Default '03 major problems

AAMCO did the transmission, then they wanted to find the elctrical problem to help me out, they were frustrated too. They didn't charge me for any labor at all while trying to find the problem and after replacing the neg. grnd wire and the ECU at wholesale parts cost, they thought the problem was fixed. So now since I can see they just don't have the expertise to find the source of the problem I need someone who can. I really appreciate the info on Forged Performance.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:41 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

U1000 & U1001 are very bad codes which usually have to be handled by dealerships or someone that has a Consult.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:18 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on Forged. Give Sharif a call.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:50 AM
lgear080

wow. exactly why all used vehicles need super-thorough inspections. i would have turned around after learning that the car had gone unlicensed for so long.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 AM
wildlifeartisan

Default Newby

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
U1000 & U1001 are very bad codes which usually have to be handled by dealerships or someone that has a Consult.
Had it at Gwinnett Place Nissan, they didn't have a clue. They wanted to do a bunch of unnessasary other stuff to it to try to charge me $2000 for things I already had done at a different dealership, like changing all the fluids and cleaning the fuel injectors. No more dealerships for me. They are scum. The U1000 and U1001 are Communication problems general codes. I am trying to find a diagnostic repair shop that are good with this kind of thing. Thanks though.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:03 AM
wildlifeartisan

Default newby

Originally Posted by CRIDDA
+1 on Forged. Give Sharif a call.
More detail ? too new to understand. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:05 AM
wildlifeartisan

Default newby

Originally Posted by lgear080
wow. exactly why all used vehicles need super-thorough inspections. i would have turned around after learning that the car had gone unlicensed for so long.
didn't learn info til after purchase or wouldn't have bought it. Came up clean on my search. Emmisions people found more detail. Spilled milk now. Need to find source of problem.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:20 AM
lgear080

forged performance is your go-to for this if you're within 200 miles.
doubtful anyone else will be able to work as quickly/effectively as they will.
they know VQ/z33 inside and out.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Originally Posted by wildlifeartisan
Had it at Gwinnett Place Nissan, they didn't have a clue. They wanted to do a bunch of unnessasary other stuff to it to try to charge me $2000 for things I already had done at a different dealership, like changing all the fluids and cleaning the fuel injectors. No more dealerships for me. They are scum. The U1000 and U1001 are Communication problems general codes. I am trying to find a diagnostic repair shop that are good with this kind of thing. Thanks though.
I know what they are, I had a U1000 on my old car. The Consult tool that the dealership has will tell them what is not communicating. All that other crap they there were telling you was BS, glad you didn't listen. You need to find the most exp. tech @ the dealership with the Consult, skip the stupid writers as they know nothing. I'm guessing there's a shorted/cut/crimped wire somewhere. Could have burned out your BCM. Also, one or more of your coil packs could now be fried so make sure you have those checked as well. If Sharif has a consult he's def. the best to take your car to. Electrical problems suck, believe me I know.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:16 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More detail ? too new to understand. Thanks.
Contact Information
PHONE: 770-792-0202

Sandy, Ryan, or Sharif will be able to help you out with setting up an appointment to get the car in there and looked at.
or you can drop him a message
https://my350z.com/forum/members/555...if-forged.html
Old 08-06-2009, 06:12 AM
wildlifeartisan

Default Newby

I know what they are, I had a U1000 on my old car. The Consult tool that the dealership has will tell them what is not communicating. All that other crap they there were telling you was BS, glad you didn't listen. You need to find the most exp. tech @ the dealership with the Consult, skip the stupid writers as they know nothing. I'm guessing there's a shorted/cut/crimped wire somewhere. Could have burned out your BCM. Also, one or more of your coil packs could now be fried so make sure you have those checked as well. If Sharif has a consult he's def. the best to take your car to. Electrical problems suck, believe me I know.
Thanks for your help I appreciate it.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:18 PM
wildlifeartisan

Default Newby 2003 Z problems . . . .

Thanks for everyones help. I started off with taking it to a local garage that specializes in Nissan cars. They found there was sout ash and fire extinguisher power in the bottom of the engine compartment. It had been on fire. They didn't charge me anything. They said it would take a few thousand to replace the wiring harnesses. So I guess I will need to sell it as is to someone who likes to work on Z's ???
Attached Thumbnails Newby, major problems '03 automatic Z . . .-backquarter.jpg   Newby, major problems '03 automatic Z . . .-front.jpg   Newby, major problems '03 automatic Z . . .-sidedriver.jpg   Newby, major problems '03 automatic Z . . .-sidedriver2.jpg  
Old 08-07-2009, 01:35 PM
jebz240

Man i feel sorry for you. so you couldn't see any signs of a fire under the hood? i am sure the labor would be intense but you could more than likely get a engine wiring harness from a junkyard for a good price. I would think that you could replace it your self if you have the patience/time/energy. I maybe wrong but you shouldn't have to remove the entire engine to get to the harness? i dunno GL with it though
Old 08-07-2009, 01:40 PM
06g35meister

Salvage yards would love you to buy a wiring harness from them for cheap.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:23 PM
loudrims_inc

Thanks for everyones help. I started off with taking it to a local garage that specializes in Nissan cars. They found there was sout ash and fire extinguisher power in the bottom of the engine compartment. It had been on fire. They didn't charge me anything. They said it would take a few thousand to replace the wiring harnesses. So I guess I will need to sell it as is to someone who likes to work on Z's ???
OMG!!...thats sooo f---ed up!! u should shop around for wiring harnesses...if u was in Philly, i kno a guy who specializes in engine work and would do it for a great price...shop around, u have to find something!
Old 08-07-2009, 03:14 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

You can get an complete harness from turbo toys (forum sponsor) for $300-$400. The harness can be swapped in 1-2 hours
Old 08-07-2009, 03:27 PM
jebz240

You can get an complete harness from turbo toys (forum sponsor) for $300-$400. The harness can be swapped in 1-2 hours
Do you have to drop the engine?? just wondering myself
Old 08-07-2009, 07:21 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Originally Posted by jebz240
Do you have to drop the engine?? just wondering myself
no, you do need to be able to get to the crank, 02, and transmission sensors/plugs under the car though. Can be done on jackstands/ramps.

Quick Reply: Newby, major problems '03 automatic Z . . .