Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Help with Clutch Switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:47 AM
a12548

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Clutch Switch

On my 2005 Z, it seems that I need to press the clutch down harder and harder to get it to turn, and even then it will have a slight crank hesitation. I was about to buy a new battery but after reading up on this I realize the switch is likely be the culprit. I havent even looked under there yet, what I'd like to know is, is it adjustable by hand, assuming the switch isnt 'bad'. Or is it easier to replace the switch, and is there a dummies guide to do it myself.
Thanks...
Old 09-13-2009, 03:41 AM
donut_ballz

That is the same exact problem I have. You can manually press the clutch switch while turning the key, to get the car started. When I was looking at the clutch switch I noticed that it has some kind of thread and bolt at the end, and I'm assuming that it might be adjustable. I'm going to try it sometime today but if you look right at the clutch pedal, you will be able to see the switch and the threaded end and bolt.

Also the clutch switch looks real easy to fix. It's a $14 dollar part on rockauto.com or you can order it at your local auto parts store. From looking at the part, it seems that all you will need to do is unplug the back and use the threaded end and bolt to lock it down/adjustment.

Last edited by donut_ballz; 09-13-2009 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:17 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is adjustable and will be obvious how to adjust once you squeeze under there assuming the switch is still good.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:33 PM
jray8

bump, kinda having the same symptoms, results anyone?

***edit

i just adjusted mine 30mins ago, so far so good, dont worry, you cant cause any problems if you press it while the car is running(tried just to make sure).

part is only $15 bucks so if it keeps up ill just replace it but wanted try the adjustment first bc i always lose the correct seating position after vacuuming the car. pretty sure its the culprit as i am having the same symptoms

Last edited by jray8; 09-25-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:25 AM
absolutanne

i have an 06 350z 6MT. Had the same exact problem. Thought it was the battery at first, so went to autozone and changed it out for $95. It still won't crank with a brand new battery. Pressed the switch manually 2-3 times while turning the key and the car starts every time with no hesitation. Glad to know the part is cheap and not too hard to fix!! Wished I didn't changed my battery, although it was an OEM 53 mos old. Keep the info rolling, guys...
Old 11-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Count Driftula

Originally Posted by Count Driftula
Sup man,
Yeah, the clutch interlock switch is the one you are refering to; the one behind the clutch, where the bracket pushes on the black button which activates the switch.

I had the same problem, it woundnt start, then after messing around with the button and/or wires, the car would start just fine.

I decided to bypass the switch, but you could buy a replacement from the dealer or autozone or somewhere for about 20-30 bucks.

If you buy the replacement, just unplug the wires, and figure out how to remove the switch from its own bracket, put the new one in, and plug the wires back in. (never figured out how to remove the switch lol)

If you want to bypass it, all you have to do is pull out the plug with the wires (seperate the button/switch from the wires/plug) which go into the back of the switch. Then, take like an inch of wire, strip both ends by about 3/4 of an inch. bend it in a horseshoe shape and push each end into the two exposed leads of the wires/plug. I wrapped it very tightly with electrical tape, and stuffed it back towards the inner foot well.

It is techincally safer to solder it and cover it, due to the fact that an improper electrical wire (if exposed) could short something...but I just went crazy with electrical tape...

Also, if you decide to bypass it, you MUST REMEMBER to have the car in neutral (or be stepping on the clutch) when you start it, or else it will jump like 3 feet forward (and possibly over a parking block, curb, into a wall, over a person, etc.)
Although, if you retain the habit of pushing the clutch in, it wont jump no matter what (cuz the clutch is in)
... but with a bypassed switch, you can technically just start the car without having to depress the clutch as long as your careful.

It is not generally recommended to bypass if you have mulitiple drivers or kids or someone who could possibly start it/have it jump forward upon starting when they are not expecting it to.
But since I am the only driver, (and I ALWAYS check to make sure it is in neutral first, and/or depress the clutch), then I dont really care to buy the replacement, and I like the ability to start the car without actually having to be on the clutch.

Let me know if this helps, or if you have anyother questions.

-Driftula
Old 10-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Bill_350Zzzz

Same issue here... replaced the clutch switch today thanks to my Step Dad. It is possible I may have a starter issue, but I just wanted to give all of you a heads up! We found a ground strap that wasn't connected to anything. The car had been laboring for sometime upon start up which is why I thought it was the switch. Anyway.. FWIW, the switch is in, and now I wait to see if any other issues pop up.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:25 AM
Crazytweeker

Sup man,
Yeah, the clutch interlock switch is the one you are refering to; the one behind the clutch, where the bracket pushes on the black button which activates the switch.

I had the same problem, it woundnt start, then after messing around with the button and/or wires, the car would start just fine.

I decided to bypass the switch, but you could buy a replacement from the dealer or autozone or somewhere for about 20-30 bucks.

If you buy the replacement, just unplug the wires, and figure out how to remove the switch from its own bracket, put the new one in, and plug the wires back in. (never figured out how to remove the switch lol)

If you want to bypass it, all you have to do is pull out the plug with the wires (seperate the button/switch from the wires/plug) which go into the back of the switch. Then, take like an inch of wire, strip both ends by about 3/4 of an inch. bend it in a horseshoe shape and push each end into the two exposed leads of the wires/plug. I wrapped it very tightly with electrical tape, and stuffed it back towards the inner foot well.

It is techincally safer to solder it and cover it, due to the fact that an improper electrical wire (if exposed) could short something...but I just went crazy with electrical tape...

Also, if you decide to bypass it, you MUST REMEMBER to have the car in neutral (or be stepping on the clutch) when you start it, or else it will jump like 3 feet forward (and possibly over a parking block, curb, into a wall, over a person, etc.)
Although, if you retain the habit of pushing the clutch in, it wont jump no matter what (cuz the clutch is in)
... but with a bypassed switch, you can technically just start the car without having to depress the clutch as long as your careful.

It is not generally recommended to bypass if you have mulitiple drivers or kids or someone who could possibly start it/have it jump forward upon starting when they are not expecting it to.
But since I am the only driver, (and I ALWAYS check to make sure it is in neutral first, and/or depress the clutch), then I dont really care to buy the replacement, and I like the ability to start the car without actually having to be on the clutch.

Let me know if this helps, or if you have anyother questions.

-Driftula
hey I have a 2005 revup 6speed manual. Well wiring harness burn so I got another one but it off a automatic ,it don't have
The plug for clutch switch ,how can I bypass that .so out will start