Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

VERY LOUD Whine when its cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 04:10 PM
brandon3434

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dgnage
My 06 has done that since new, does not seem to be aproblem
was it only when it was cold that it happened?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:20 PM
mclovin.too

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is your drivetrain making the noise and is normal especially in cold weather.

It would not hurt at all to change the transmission and rear diff fluids.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:35 PM
brandon3434

Originally Posted by mclovin.too
It is your drivetrain making the noise and is normal especially in cold weather.

It would not hurt at all to change the transmission and rear diff fluids.
good info, thanks...planning on doing that this weekend, and maybe the belts too...
Old 12-02-2009, 02:38 AM
brandon3434

gonna try to change the tranny/diff fluid and a fresh oil change...ill see if that helps anything...
Old 12-02-2009, 03:02 AM
calin
Banned

I learned to let my car warm up until my RPM's drop to 1k at idle unno:
My Z also makes funny noises if I don't let it warm up before driving.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:16 AM
gyotar

I just changed my Tranny/Diff fluid with Amsoil last weekend and the noise occured yesterday although very muted compared to last year middle of winter with OEM fluids. It hasn't been that cold yet but I assume the noise will return as the temperature drops below freezing. It disappears within a minute of highway driving though. I wonder what it could be.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:14 AM
TJGILROY

very weird....
Old 12-03-2009, 06:05 PM
brandon3434

Originally Posted by TJGILROY
very weird....
agreed.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 PM
n_patel77

Default ..

had the same kinda thing happen with my o4 accord v6... try this... when u start it up in the morning then back out and turn ur steering wheel.. if the noise is more so or louder when u turn the steering wheel, it's the power steering fluid pump...

mine started doing that since probably october as well.... some reason if i don't start my car till afternoon like on weekends it's fine.. but any day i go to work and so have to leave early it makes it... i flush the fluid out and replaced it ... had to go to mechanic to get it done couple of times.. it's a little better.. they said if it continues and is bad will have to change the pump... but since it's a little better i will leave it....but then again this is on my accord v6...!!!

hope that helps.. let us know what happens...
Old 12-03-2009, 08:49 PM
brandon3434

Originally Posted by n_patel77
had the same kinda thing happen with my o4 accord v6... try this... when u start it up in the morning then back out and turn ur steering wheel.. if the noise is more so or louder when u turn the steering wheel, it's the power steering fluid pump...

mine started doing that since probably october as well.... some reason if i don't start my car till afternoon like on weekends it's fine.. but any day i go to work and so have to leave early it makes it... i flush the fluid out and replaced it ... had to go to mechanic to get it done couple of times.. it's a little better.. they said if it continues and is bad will have to change the pump... but since it's a little better i will leave it....but then again this is on my accord v6...!!!

hope that helps.. let us know what happens...
yea i actually tried that the other night when I was checking the levels...im going to try and change all the fluids (tranny/diff fluid) and see if that helps...honestly i dont know if its really a bad thing, just a common thing with cold z's...if i let it warm up it doesnt do it...so im not too worried about it...theres no power loss, but when its cold, it whines, and is harder to shift...

when its warm, its fine...
Old 12-03-2009, 08:56 PM
n_patel77

with my issue my mechanic said it's not big deal but sometimes the noise is loud... i am now at 157000 miles and till ~1000 miles back it never did that... so for me it's just to find out what happened... b/c otherwise it's a beautiful smooth car... not sure if it will do any damage if let alone but according to guys on this forum it doesn't seem like it b/c lots of ppl are dealing with it the way it is...

Originally Posted by brandon3434
yea i actually tried that the other night when I was checking the levels...im going to try and change all the fluids (tranny/diff fluid) and see if that helps...honestly i dont know if its really a bad thing, just a common thing with cold z's...if i let it warm up it doesnt do it...so im not too worried about it...theres no power loss, but when its cold, it whines, and is harder to shift...

when its warm, its fine...
Old 11-30-2011, 06:19 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Sorry to bump this extremely old thread, but I am having similar problems.

When I started my car yesterday morning, the belts (area) were SO loud. And got even louder while turning AND accelerating. So I assumed it was the power steering fluid.. Checked and it was low (under the cold minimum). So I bought some synthetic royal purple steering fluid and filledit to the "cold max" line. The noise completely went away and I didn't come back...UNTIL, this morning.. It was probably 35 degrees out.. I let it warm up and everything and the same noise was back. I might would even say its louder. I need some advice from you guys on what could be wrong or what to check.

Havent taken a really good look at the belts but from a quick look over they didn't look to be worn, etc... Could my power steering pump of gone bad? Or what are some other possibilities?