Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Problem with ECU

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:09 PM
AAKK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with ECU

First off,forgive me if my poor English irritates you. I am trying my best to give you as much detail as i can.It is kind of long but that all happened to me.
I have a 2003 Nissan 350Z with 91k,aftermarket alarm system,bone stock.A week before the trouble happened,i took my car to the audio shop to have them replaced the OEM amplifier because it was bad, then i noticed that my trunk lock was no longer working, even if you push the button near the license place nor the remote control.
I took my car,which was running perfectly fine to the shop that i have been in business with them about 4 years. The owner inspected the car and said of of the electrical unit (i don't know exactly its name) that control the lock was bad and need to be replaced. But when he opened the trunk to replace to lock, it was working just fine when he used the electrical circuit tester to touch it so he suspected there is something wrong with the fuses. At that moment, he had another car coming from the tow truck and one of his employee came over and said he can rewiring the fuse to fix it then he messed up my fuses, as the result, my car can't not be started and he also removed my alarm sytem out.
After that, i had to tow to my car to Nissan dealer and they charged me 220 to diagnose the problem, 2 days later they call the owner of the shop and said the computer box that control door lock,trunk lock,etc is bad (CBM) and they quoted a new unit for 750 .
I am right now in desperate for a car since i am about to lose my job because i have been coming to work late.It is 45' driving or 2.15 taking bus.
Do you have any idea what's exactly is the computer box and where can i get it for cheap ? I tried searching on courtesypart.com but i don't know which part is it.Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited by AAKK; 03-03-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:03 PM
z2g

you're looking for a BCM? try ebay
Old 03-03-2010, 04:21 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When a mechanic says "computer box" he may mean anything. Computer box for the brakes. Computer box for the steering. Computer box for the audio system.

The Engine Control Unit is unique and does NOT control everything. I can guess what controls the locking system, but it would be just that. A guess.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:25 PM
AAKK

Hi
I've just talked to the dealer and the thing i need to get is BCM (body control module).i found one on ebay (sorry i can't save the picture from ebay) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...#ht_500wt_1182

This one come off from a automatic 04 while mine is 03 manual. does this one fit mine and do i have to reprogram the keys after installing this ?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:54 PM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can sell you mine, I'm parting out my entire car. So everything is for sale. PM me if you want it.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:04 PM
AAKK

Updated !!
I am so glad that i have my car back today after 2 week of car-less. The first diagnosis indicated that the problem should be the BCM was wrong - when i towed my car to another dealership, i had another diagnosis and the real problem is the malfunction internal antenna or whatever it's called (code NATS) so it does not pick up signal when reprogramming the key. The total cost to make my car runs again was 488 (in contrast with 695 + labor for the BCM the other dealership quoted me).But now the airbag light is on, i need to take my car back so they will have an advance diagnosis again but most importantly, my car is running perfectly now,somehow, smoother than before
I went to the dealership that gave me a wrong diagnosis and asked for a refund but they refused it even i talked to the service department manager. They reasoned that since they would only suspected the BCM was bad and they also noted that there would be a further diagnosis to solve the problem. I showed them the paper work from the dealership that fixed my car indicating that there's nothing wrong with the BCM but they were just simply stupid, that's fine. I will comeback tomorrow with the note from the mechanic who pulled out the BCM to test it to prove them that you were wrong. You charged me 224 for a wrong diagnosis,otherwise i will contact NissanUSA about this case.
Thanks everyone for your help.