Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Broken Pivot Ball

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:21 AM
BonesZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Pivot Ball

Was shifting from second to third gear and the clutch pedal stuck to the floor and did not come up. Clutch was not working, thought it was the master or the slave cylinder.

After driving home with no clutch, I jacked the car up and took the clutch fork dust boot off. the clutch fork was just hanging and I could see the broken Pivot ball still attached to the fork by the clip. So fun times are ahead of me.

Anybody know of any other sites, or dealers that sell Pivot *****?

Found this site but it was the only one. I have 125k on my car but I'm still hesitant to replace it with a weak stock pivot ball, especially if I plan to go with an aftermarket clutch soon. If anybody has one lying around I'd like to buy it off you.

Oh and there are two different ones. A long one and short one. I have the 2003 version the longer one (39mm) .

http://www.importpartspro.com/chclpiba20ni.html

I need this one.

Not this one.

Wish I had the $$ to replace the clutch while I'm in there
Old 03-06-2010, 10:35 AM
SatchScream

Damn man. EXACT same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I got mine at my local Nissan dealer for like...2 bucks. And you may very well need a new clutch and flywheel, apparently a burned clutch can cause the pivot ball to break.

Last edited by SatchScream; 03-06-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:37 AM
BonesZ33

Originally Posted by SatchScream
Damn man. EXACT same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I got mine at my local Nissan dealer for like...2 bucks.
2 bucks sounds attractive :P I didn't think it would be that cheap... Maybe I will just bite the bullet and replace it for 2 bucks , and do the clutch/flywheel and aftermarket pivot ball later down the road..:/

Thanks for the imput.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Zippo21

Here you go-
http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...67.235.164.225

This same thing happened to me, but I bought a new tranny because I had a grind in 3rd gear. I bought the chromoly pivot ball but found out that the cd009 tranny upgrades the entire fork setup. I'll sell you the one I have sitting here, PM me if you're interested.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:43 PM
winterdevilg35

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

well im one person you should definately talk to because i did it all reguarding my transmission. The thing is you dont need to get the longer pivot ball if you dont want to. You can use the shorter pivotball with a 04+ clutch arm. The 03 clutch arm is lighter than the later clutch arms. Definatly get a reinforced steel pivot ball and while you drop your transmission get a new throwout bearing. If your changing out your clutch,pressure plate, flywheel, ext. then make sure you replace your flywheel bolts because the stock ones strip out very easily. Get a new stainless steel clutch line for less heat soak and reduction in spongy pedal feel. and get a new pilot bearing while your at it. I replaced all that plus clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder for piece of mind.upgraded transmission to the latest and greatest CD009.lol. i also got a shorter short throw shifter and shifter **** for better feel for the gears. In my recommendation i suggest doing work on your transmission components because it makes a difference in driveability and gives you piece of mind. My pivot ball is from IPP so i would say they are your best bet. But again get the long steel pivot ball if you plan on keeping the lighter shift arm with the longer throw or getting the shorter steel pivotball with the heavier up to date clutch arm with the shorter throw. All in personal preference. Have fun. let me know of any questions you may have.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 AM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for argument sake why would you upgrade to the 04+ clutch arm and shorter PB. The clutch arm does not fail but the PB does.

Reason I ask is that a new clutch is going in so might as well do it all at the same time
Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 PM
zach711f

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I broke my clutch fork and the throw out bearing mount...