Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

curb rash repair on polish lip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:43 PM
johnha209

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default curb rash repair on polish lip?

i curb rashed my volk gt30's .. i did a search for repairs on curb rash rims but i can only find repairs for rims that dont have a polished lip.. just wondering if anyone on here have any experiences repairing their polished lips and if theres a diy on it on here somewhere?? any help is greatly appreciated.. thanks!!
Old 05-05-2010, 10:57 PM
SoCal-Zzzz

Usually runs about $100. Just call up any wheel repair.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by johnha209
i curb rashed my volk gt30's .. i did a search for repairs on curb rash rims but i can only find repairs for rims that dont have a polished lip.. just wondering if anyone on here have any experiences repairing their polished lips and if theres a diy on it on here somewhere?? any help is greatly appreciated.. thanks!!
If the lips are cleared your going to have to take it to a shop. My LM's had some rash on them and I wet sanded them with 600grit sandpaper to level the scratch then stepped if from 1000grit-2000grit then hand polished them. Its not for the weak hearted.. I also did the same repair on my buddies Strasse wheels which retail for about 1,750.00 each(forged show wheels).

If the wheels are really bad I would suggest you take them to a shop but if its a small area or just a scuff I'd do it by hand:

What you'll need:

600-1000-1500-2000 grit sandpaper

Water bottle(with a pick.. punch several small wholes in the cap)

Polish.. I would highly recommend a quality polish. Find a course polish then a fine polish. I personally used Wenol and it last longer than Mothers and Meguires but the Mothers/Meguire are still quality polishes.

*****... yes your about to sand your volks.

How you'll do it:

1. Clean the wheel Completely!!!

2. Start by wetting the scuff/curbage with the water bottle make sure its wet.

3. Start by folding the sand paper in easy to manuever sqaure and sanding in a LEFT-RIGHT fashion using soft even pressure.. occasionally wetting the area you are wet sanding.

4. Level the scratch as much as possible.. check the area you've just sanded for a uniform sanding area. You should not see any definate sanding marks rather it should look dull.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 with the other sandpaper grits... being sure you clean the rim in between the steps to ensure the lip gets the desired sandpaper grit.

6. In a circular motion begin working the course polish into the area you've just sanded... be moderate in pressure but dont press down too hard. Go over the sanding area until it begins to look shiny.

7. Lastly use the Fine polish to finish up the job... finish the ENTIRE wheel.

If you follow the intructions given you shouldn't even notice any sanding marks and you'll give yourself a High-5 for saving some cash.

Im not familiar with Volk/Rays but I'm betting they have some type of clear coat to protect the polished lip. BE 100% sure of this before you proceed. I'm in Afghanistan right now and do not have access to my laptop.. I took pictures of my buddies wheel repair. I'll post it as soon as I can get to my laptop.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:47 PM
johnha209

damm.. thanks a lot flo rida!!! im sure my volks are clear coated.. itll be ok to do your procedure right?? looks like i got a project for myself to do on monday!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 01:50 PM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
What you'll need:
*****... yes your about to sand your volks.
^Funny $#!T

OP, any pics of said damage?
sharing my experience:
night before a show a buddy decides we should tackle his curb rashed polish lips that did have some sort of clear coating - set out to do only one, when done it looked much better than the others so decided to do all 4

as flo rida suggested
did a similar process but used a really fine steel wool in the final stages of "sanding" was little more flexible and easier to hold.
then polished and polished and polished - we used mothers.
suggest to use some gloves as hands were stained gray for days after.
left arm was bruce banner and right arm was hulk at the end of it all.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Originally Posted by johnha209
itll be ok to do your procedure right??
Well I can only speak of my experience with non cleared lips... Im not 100% sure but it should work.

Originally Posted by vex008
did a similar process but used a really fine steel wool in the final stages of "sanding" was little more flexible and easier to hold.
then polished and polished and polished - we used mothers.
suggest to use some gloves as hands were stained gray for days after.
left arm was bruce banner and right arm was hulk at the end of it all.
Yea use gloves and the fine wool is an excellent idea once you finish the sanding.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

*Steel wool