Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Two Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:43 PM
ridered929rr

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Two Questions

I have 2 issues with my Z and wanted to see if you folks could give me some advice or resolutions if you have/had something similar. This is my second 350 I had a 2003 and sold it when we bought our 1st house. I drove my wife nuts looking online at Z's every night and she said get the damn car again and never sell it because your drivin me nuts, sweet, I know why I am still married.

I now have a 05 Touring (exact same as the 2003), Manual, Volks, Bassani Exhaust, Intake, for the most part factory except for the bolt-ons. It has 63k on it I bought it with 15,400 miles and it still has the factory clutch. The clutch has a very loud noise from the throw out bearing while the clutch is not engaged and when the clutch is engaged it goes away. I have had the noise for about 15K but the clutch never slipped. I just dealt with the noise as I have discovered it is a common issue. Over the past week or two the clutch is starting to slipp so I know this needs to be replaced. I am trying to decide on what brand and stage since I want to s/c in a year or two. I will schedule the appt with my mechanic in a few weeks and he will probably do some type of coil-over as well. I recently bought the Volks and I know it needs to be dropped.

I added some bberry pics and they aren't that great but you get the idea. I know I need to get a short antenna and new lugs.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give you some info so I get some good feedback.

My first issue is when I start the car cold, in neutral and with the clutch in, 1 out of 10 times the car will grind like I was jamming a gear (which i don't do or have a problem with while driving) When the car is warm after stopping somewhere it doesn't happen again? This just started and not sure what it is since the car is in neutral and not in gear for the transmission to grind.

My second issue is in 1st or second gear the car for the first second of acceleration seems like I have a knock from using cheap gas or almost as if its not getting enough fuel. I always use 93 and synthetic oil every 4500. I had my mechanic clean the fuel system and injectors. He also checked the plugs which were fine, still factory. It really didn't solve anything and the problem persists. He wasn't sure other than changing the plugs or if it could be due to all gas now having ethanol. He says ethanol will separate over time and cause water in the gas. Not sure about that but mechanic is not my profession. Any thoughts?

I will send more pics when I get the car back with the upgrades and if there was any solutions to the above. I can't get the car in for about 2 weeks so any help until then would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Two Questions-img00023.jpg   Two Questions-img00024.jpg  
Old 06-11-2010, 01:54 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You want a clutch for a supercharger that you do not have? I say no. Get a clutch that suits your needs now.

If the engine knocks has someone messed with the timing?
Old 06-11-2010, 03:38 PM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I say go with a clutch that will suit you now, as well as the supercharger you are planning on getting. Whether it happens or not, having a S/C ready clutch is a very nice reminder of what will/might come (or working at, at least). I would personally determine the hp you're trying to achieve, then go from there. Remember, the higher the hp tolerance of the clutch is, the less fun it is to drive on a daily basis. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:41 PM
ridered929rr

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the opinion on the clutch but why buy something that I will need to change? Doesn't make sense. 100% that it will have a s/c in a year at the most maybe same time as the clutch install if my CBR sells.

Timing has never been messed with.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:00 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

My first issue is when I start the car cold, in neutral and with the clutch in, 1 out of 10 times the car will grind like I was jamming a gear (which i don't do or have a problem with while driving) When the car is warm after stopping somewhere it doesn't happen again? This just started and not sure what it is since the car is in neutral and not in gear for the transmission to grind.
When the STARTER motor is energized, a starter solonoid forces a small gear to push forward on a shaft and engage with the flywheel.

You might have a weak battery or loose connections. The solonoid may be defective. The small gear mechanism (called a bendix) might be sticky or have a bad spring. The starter may not be tight or installed correctly. . . or . . . the small gear or flywheel may have a bad tooth.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:03 AM
Synjn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you do, buy an organic clutch disc. I have an ACT 6 puck and I hate it. Swapping it out next week.
And, superchargers dont make crazy TQ #, the stock clutch will hold a basic SC kit.