Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Help! 2007 brake/shifter clicking!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010 | 09:07 AM
lockedcogs

Default Help! 2007 brake/shifter clicking!

Hey everyone,

Was hoping I could get some input with a 'problem' I've noticed with my 2007 Touring Roadster. It might just be me but after I brought my car in to the dealer for a quick post-purchase checkup (I bought the car used with 2k miles 2 weeks ago), I began experiencing a clicking noise...

This clicking is particularly noticeable and can even be felt if: the engine is running and the car is in park; depressing the brake up and down results in a somewhat loud clicking/ratcheting sound that you can actually feel if you leave your hand on the shifter. The clicking seems to be coinciding exactly with the brake lights going on, so I think it could be something to do with the mechanism that controls the brake lights...but I have no clue. The clicking becomes less noticeable while driving but I decided to take it into the dealer once again to have them check it. The technician said that the clicking noise was normal and if I didn't experience it then my car had problems...can anyone here with an AT 350Z try this and let me know?

Thanks in advance for all the help or advice!
Old 08-16-2010 | 10:53 AM
J D

Shift lock solenoid activating? The thing that keeps you from shifting out of park without pressing the brake?
Old 08-16-2010 | 11:36 AM
lockedcogs

Hey JD thanks for the reply, do you think it could be that? I'm hearing the noise and can feel the click through the shift lever, but I wasn't sure if it was normal for it to be relatively audible.
Old 08-16-2010 | 12:08 PM
J D

Just a guess. I don't have an AT Z but have had others that it was audible. Someone with an AT should chime in on how loud it is.
Old 08-16-2010 | 09:27 PM
winchman

I've got an '08 with 5AT. I've never noticed the noise or feeling you're describing. I'll pay close attention for it the next time I drive the car, and I'll let you know.

Are you by chance holding any pressure on the shifter as you depress the brake pedal? That would make the movement of the solenoid more noticeable. Maybe the linkage is mis-adjusted, or there's something putting tension on the mechanism.

Do you know if any repairs have been made on the car? Why would the original owner have gotten rid of it with such low miles?
Old 08-17-2010 | 02:21 AM
winchman

Well, mine does make the noise, and I can feel the click in the shifter. It's really quite noticeable.

I never noticed it because I always have my foot on the brake when I start the engine, and I keep it there until I've shifted into gear.