Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Question for people with lowered z's with bodykits

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 12:29 PM
djkern
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for people with lowered z's with bodykits

ok, i have sprint springs on my car (1.8 inches lowered all around) and i have the nismo body kit on the car. i took it to the dealer today to have the 11K servicing done (i only have 9K miles on it...but i'm taking it off the road for the winter...so, i figured i'd get it done before it sits for the winter). one problem....i get a call today and the guy tells me that he can't get the car on a lift since it's too low.

SOOOOO

what do you guys do?

i'm planning on taking it to jiffy lube or some place like that (that has pits instead of lifts)....i'll make sure to bring a nissan oil filter (or do you have better suggestions on one) and i'll make sure to tell them exactly how much oil goes in the car.

but....what happens when i actually have to take the car in for a repair and they have to put it on the list??? guess i didn't think of that!!

i guess i'll have to find a dealer that either has a pit or has a drive up lift. so far...i'm SOL! d'oh!

(anyone from the boston area that knows of one....let me know!)

thanks!
Old 11-14-2003, 07:56 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my dealer told me the same thing. He said my kaminari skirts lowered it by .75 on sides and cant get me on his lift, i sumarily canceled my maintenance plan and if they need to get it in there for anything ill just pull the side skirts off for them. Its only like 10 bolts on each side so not much of a prob to get them off
Old 11-14-2003, 08:01 AM
djkern
Banned

i found a dealer that has a lift i can get the car on (he told me that he has put lowered cars on it already). i'm going there tomorrow....we'll see how that goes!
Old 11-14-2003, 08:11 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You would think that the Dealers that can't currently service lowered cars would simply invent a way to get the car on the lift. Even if involved just driving the car up on blocks of wood. They don't seem to realize that we will go somewhere else and they are losing business.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:16 AM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by teh215
You would think that the Dealers that can't currently service lowered cars would simply invent a way to get the car on the lift. Even if involved just driving the car up on blocks of wood. They don't seem to realize that we will go somewhere else and they are losing business.
yeah, no kidding. also, when the guy called me to tell me that he couldn't get it on the jack (cause the swing arms would his the side skirts)...well, he was acting as though i was wrong to lower my car and add on a body kit. he was practically yelling at me on the phone. i asked him if there was any way he could drive the car up onto small ramps to get the swing arms under the car...he said he wasn't going to attempt that. then, i called up another dealer that had a lift that you could drive up on...but, he said that the little ramps up onto the lift were too steep and might scratch the car. so, i asked the same thing about driving up wooden ramps that weren't as steep. well, he told me that he wasn't going to try that because he knew it wouldn't work (sure, he knew it would work...he was just being an a$$). but, after 10 or so different dealers, i found one that said they worked with lowered z's already and it would be fine. so, i found a new dealer...guess the one i used to go to is out some business! sucks for them.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:36 AM
jackwhale

I wonder whether the new dealer has a different type of lift or whether they use small ramps.

I can't use my floor jack on the Z either but it's such a simple solution to drive up on 2" thick boards--floor jack works well. I agree with teh215: Have to guess that something similar would work with a dealer lift.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:01 AM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by jackwhale
I wonder whether the new dealer has a different type of lift or whether they use small ramps.

I can't use my floor jack on the Z either but it's such a simple solution to drive up on 2" thick boards--floor jack works well. I agree with teh215: Have to guess that something similar would work with a dealer lift.
yeah....the wooben block idea is easy...why don't the dealers do it??? stupid if you ask me.