Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Turns over but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Dirtriderdawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turns over but wont start

So I bought an 04 350z today with 45k miles and on the way home I stopped at a buddies house to show him the car. When I went to check out the car yesterday, it started up great with no problems what so ever. Today, when I go to pick the car up and take it home, again, it starts perfect. I drive it to my friends work, shut the motor off, hang out for around ten minutes and then try to start it again and it cranks but wont start. I pop the hood, look for anything obvious, check the oil, and try several times and eventually it starts.

I then drive over to my buddies house (strait from my other friends work) and shut the motor off. I show him the car, then hand him the keys to take it out for a drive, and again, cranks forever, but never fires. We stand around trying it to get it to start for around an hour and still nothing. The red security light up on the dash under the windshield is either blinking or on solid, but won't turn off.

We did a google search and searched the forums and did everything that some people with similar problems did, but nothing worked. We tried locking the car with the key, unlocking with the key, lock/unlock with the fob, disconnect the battery, flipping the key over, inserting the key and turning it to on for five seconds, then off for 10 repeat, but still, nothing worked. I ended up having to leave my new car in front of his house.

So if anyone has any ideas as to why the key would work sometimes but not others.. please help! I want my baby!

Thanks

P.S. On a side note, the ride to his house was FANTASTIC
Old 09-09-2010, 08:43 AM
cbcm2435

mine did the same thing, but it only did it once and has never done it again, im baffled on what it could be
Old 09-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a similar problem with an older battery. I thought it was odd that it would crank but not start with a near dead battery, but after I replaced it it started right up. If the battery shows good voltage on the meter check the usual suspects. Start with the plugs, I'd say pull the most forward driver side plug (because its most accessible) and check it to see if there is alot of fuel on it next time it doesn't start up.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 AM
cbcm2435

it happened right after i put a new battery in
Old 09-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If that battery sat long enough it could have been low enough to have that problem before being sold to you, and when your charging system had a got at it, the problem was resolved.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Dirtriderdawg

Well I called the Nissan dealership today and described my problem and he confirmed what I thought it was from my research. He said that the programming in the key was most likely incorrect. We are going to try a new key and see if that works. Thanks for all the replies, I'll keep you guys posted.