Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Fan Running, A/C doesn't work, and Tach doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:02 AM
krischunboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fan Running, A/C doesn't work, and Tach doesn't work

Help!!!! I have a 2004 350z Base, all stock, everything was working fine last night. Only thing I did kinda weird was run the A/C while the car was off, but even after that, the car was running fine. Then on my way home I hit a puddle I didn't see, and car still ran fine all the way home. When I woke up this morning my car started and all but I noticed the fans would come on even before the car started which never used to happen on cold starts. So I shut the engine off and tried it again, same thing. Then when i was driving I noticed that the tachometer no longer worked (stuck at zero), and my A/C was no longer cold!! engine itself sounded fine and no check engine lights were on. I tried the heater and that works, warm air comes out. When I got to work, and tried shutting and restarting the engine again, same thing, fan constantly runs. So I disconnected and reconnected the battery in hopes it would reset something and now the car doesn't want to start! It cranks really good, just refuses to start. And still also have that problem where the fans kick on a few seconds after having the ignition in the "on" position (didn't attempt to crank the engine yet). Anyone have this issue??? Please help!!?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:36 PM
krischunboi

Default Help!!! My car won't start!!!

It started up fine this morning. I went to disconnect the battery in hopes of being able to fix another problem. After reconnecting the battery terminals, my car no longer wants to start. It cranks up fine, it just refuses to come on. I tried that NVIS reset in the manual (ignition on, wait 5 seconds, ignition off, wait 10 seconds, ignition on, wait 5 seconds, ignition off, wait 10 seconds, then on and crank) with no success. So now not only does it not want to start, I also have the radiator fans kicking on whenever the ignition is on the "on" position, my A/C no longer works, light comes on but no cold air comes out, and of all the gauges, it appears my tach and my temperature gauge is not working. Please help!!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:37 PM
krischunboi

This is for a 2004 350z Base 6 sp manual
Old 11-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

uh if all you did was disconnect the battery, have you started with the basics? do you have a wire brush to ensure all the contact area is clean?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:48 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check fuses.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:01 PM
FLAMADSCIENTIST

Originally Posted by Entaille
uh if all you did was disconnect the battery, have you started with the basics? do you have a wire brush to ensure all the contact area is clean?

Yea my positive terminal was corroded pretty bad once, would crank but not start. As soon as the terminal was clean...BAM had enough juice to fire! check the connection and the charge, battery may be drained just enough..
Old 11-12-2010, 01:16 PM
831_Z33

Originally Posted by FLAMADSCIENTIST
Yea my positive terminal was corroded pretty bad once, would crank but not start. As soon as the terminal was clean...BAM had enough juice to fire! check the connection and the charge, battery may be drained just enough..
+1 sounds like a battery issue.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:29 PM
krischunboi

Thanks so much for the input guys, I'm on lunch break now but I won't get a chance to try it until after work. I'm glad they got forums like these, its awesome, just everyone helping each other out Yeah, it was weird, like i said last night everything was fine, then I went to start my car in the morning, cranked right up but before I even crank the ignition the fans kick on full blast (which was strange since it never does that) and stays like that until I shut the engine off. And as I was driving, I noticed my A/C was not cold anymore and that my tachometer read zero, unsure about the temp gauge, I guess maybe that's not working too because it stays on the bottom (unless its due to the fans blowing keeping the engine cool ? not sure). I figure a disconnect and reconnect of the battery would fix all of this but it didn't and now I am where I am. Hopefully it will be just a bunch of fuses and a bad battery terminal connection. Thanks again and i'll let you folks know what happened.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:12 PM
z2g

I think its a blown fuse. my friend had a similar problem. ended up to be a blown fuse
Old 11-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1. If you have your a/c on and start the car the fans will come on to cool the condenser.

2. if you disconnect the battery and reconnect it then try to start the vehicle and it cranks, but does not run. Then perhaps you need to lock and unlock the car with either the key, or the fob in case the alarm has set. Not allowing it to start due to the anti theft assuming it is being stolen and shutting the fuel or spark down. But a bad terminal connections would also have some issue with this as well. But if she is cranking nice and hard with power then i doubt it is the battery connection.

3. I would check the fuses as well. Also check the coolant temp sensor. Check to see if the plug came off. That will make the fans stay on as well.

4. Depending on what kind of puddle you went through might just be a coincidence
Might be a fusible link at the right rear side of the engine compartment.
Might be one of the cooling fan relays stuck on. See what type of speed the fan is spinning at and choose the rely according to the legend.
There is also a CPU that controls all the speeds that may or may not have gotten wet.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 11-13-2010 at 07:08 AM.