Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Squeaking....ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010 | 07:36 AM
Firebase99

Default Squeaking....ideas?

Hey guys, i did a search but couldn't find anything this specific. Issue is I just heard a very annoying, not too loud (can only hear it when Im parallel to something so the sound bounces) squeaking sound. Its cooling off and my windows are down. It only appears to squeak when im in gear. If I go to neutral there's nothing. I could just be coasting in any gear and as long as Im parallel to something, moving car, overpass, etc, I hear it. Just had my belts replaced about maybe 8000 miles ago too. 2005 Touring, 6MT, 60K miles.
Old 11-15-2010 | 09:51 AM
tylerxfire

my bed...squeak .....squeak.......squeak....squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak
Old 11-15-2010 | 09:56 AM
davidv

Seriously how would I know. Take it to a shop and put it on a lift.
Old 11-15-2010 | 11:39 AM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by davidv
Seriously how would I know. Take it to a shop and put it on a lift.
WOW Dave!! You're just brilliant. What a great idea!!! I never would have thought of doing anything like that. This forum is so very lucky to have you as a member. We are all humbled.
Old 11-15-2010 | 12:41 PM
PerfZ

Originally Posted by Firebase99
WOW Dave!! You're just brilliant. What a great idea!!! I never would have thought of doing anything like that. This forum is so very lucky to have you as a member. We are all humbled.
What did you expect? Do you seriously think a random squeak can be diagnosed on a forum, especially with the limited information given? Um, that would be "No".
Old 11-15-2010 | 01:36 PM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by PerfZ
What did you expect? Do you seriously think a random squeak can be diagnosed on a forum, especially with the limited information given? Um, that would be "No".
Hey there Einstein, title clearly reads "Ideas". Geezuz, one asks for a little help in this place...bam!! One little murder and Im Jack the Ripper!!
Old 11-15-2010 | 02:10 PM
PerfZ

Davidv gave you an idea and you slammed him for it. And it was about the best idea you could expect.
Old 11-16-2010 | 05:31 PM
NDmoney

All retarded answers... a "squeak" could be anything from drivetrain to suspension. Firebase - you have any mods (ICE, Intake, etc.)? Does it happen when running the AC or all the time? Does it happen when the car is not in motion? You will need to have a little more of a baseline for any specific analysis.

Puttting it up on a lift tells you nothing... Knowing the way your car reacts and when/where the noises come from helps...

With that being said, any moving part will make a noise. This could be described as a squeak...

Do some more analysis and run through the process of elimination. If you have no baseline for testing you have no good data... Everyone has some kind of "idea" of what is making noise but they are too afraid to be wrong to help you.

I appologize for the ignorance you have experienced in this forum. Don't hate on them just cause they lack the ability to help you... Help yourself and get to know your car.