Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

****Car Starting Issues****

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010 | 07:27 AM
AbsolutSpeedZ

Default ****Car Starting Issues****

Good afternoon! Well, I'm having issues with my car starting. I have a 2005 Touring with a 6 speed. I have an ACT 6 puck clutch and an ACT flywheel, lightweight. My car has trouble starting on occasions. Took it to my mechanic, and it threw out an issue with the crank shaft sensor, not once but twice. I had the sensor replaced and the issue still occurred. On a side note, I've had this set up for a little while now, and this issue started occurring right after the dealer changed my transmission out. The mechanic said if the flywheel has been slightly bumped or anything, it'll cause starting issues. The car acts like it's gonna start, but just doesn't start all the way (if that makes sense). I wish I could put a video on here so everyone can hear it. Does this sound familiar to anyone?!?! I don't wanna have an aftermarket flywheel replaced again, and I'm all out of options
Old 12-02-2010 | 07:32 AM
Al Kapwned

Originally Posted by AbsolutSpeedZ
Good afternoon! Well, I'm having issues with my car starting. I have a 2005 Touring with a 6 speed. I have an ACT 6 puck clutch and an ACT flywheel, lightweight. My car has trouble starting on occasions. Took it to my mechanic, and it threw out an issue with the crank shaft sensor, not once but twice. I had the sensor replaced and the issue still occurred. On a side note, I've had this set up for a little while now, and this issue started occurring right after the dealer changed my transmission out. The mechanic said if the flywheel has been slightly bumped or anything, it'll cause starting issues. The car acts like it's gonna start, but just doesn't start all the way (if that makes sense). I wish I could put a video on here so everyone can hear it. Does this sound familiar to anyone?!?! I don't wanna have an aftermarket flywheel replaced again, and I'm all out of options
Why can't you?
Old 12-02-2010 | 07:48 AM
AbsolutSpeedZ

Originally Posted by Al Kapwned
Why can't you?
I guess I've never tried before lol
Old 12-02-2010 | 08:02 AM
AbsolutSpeedZ

Here is the video:
View My Video
Old 12-02-2010 | 08:11 AM
halcyon901

I don't have sound so I couldnt hear the problem.

I had a similar problem on my car, and when I took it to the shop, they adjusted the clutch wire. They said it wasn't engaging properly. Slight adjustment cured the problem.
Old 12-02-2010 | 11:24 AM
BrooklynZ33

transponder key thing fudging up mine does the same thing (sometimes) watch you led light on top of dash.....when u turn keyy to ON if lred led light on top of dash stays on i cant read chip in key..... somethig like that maybe
Old 12-02-2010 | 12:09 PM
AbsolutSpeedZ

Originally Posted by BrooklynZ33
transponder key thing fudging up mine does the same thing (sometimes) watch you led light on top of dash.....when u turn keyy to ON if lred led light on top of dash stays on i cant read chip in key..... somethig like that maybe
Thanks for the advice, when the issue originally started the dealer told me the same thing, I was hoping it would be minor like that
Old 12-02-2010 | 09:28 PM
winchman

"The car acts like it's gonna start, but just doesn't start all the way (if that makes sense)."

I listened to the video. A closer description would be that the engine spins normally, but doesn't fire.

Here's a list of possibilities for engine starting problem descriptions:

Turn the key, and nothing at all happens.

TTK, and one single click from the solenoid.

TTK, and a rapid series of clicks from the solenoid.

TTK, and engine turns slowly, but doesn't fire.

TTK, and engine spins normally, but doesn't fire.

TTK, and engine spins and fires, but doesn't start running.

TTK, and engine starts running, but dies immediately.

TTK, and engine starts running normally.

Pick one of those, and everyone will know exactly what's happening.
Old 12-03-2010 | 04:27 AM
pntfrk69

im having similar problems, engine is cranking but no fire. have tried everything except ecu replacement
Old 12-07-2010 | 08:36 PM
Nismo Ninja

This actually happened to me this morning. It happens when I don't drive the car for a day or two. I took it to the dealership and they ran some tests and they said everything checked out. Thankfully, it started and didn't happen again throughout the day. Could it possibly be the spark plugs? I'm almost in the same boat as SpeedZ so if anyone can clarify an anwer I'm sure we'll greatly appreciate it!
Old 12-09-2010 | 09:41 PM
AbsolutSpeedZ

I'm away on business for another week and a half and I'll give it a shot when I get home, it doesn't happen everytime, but it's been frequent. It happened right after I had my new transmission put in with my aftermarket clutch and flywheel. Before the Transmission was replaced it was fine.
Old 01-13-2011 | 07:56 PM
pntfrk69

does anyone have any info on this problem? my shop has narrowed it down to the ecu with mine, but cant be 100% sure until they replace it, thanks
Old 02-10-2011 | 06:02 AM
AbsolutSpeedZ

I was told now it could've been my flywheel damaged while my transmission was replaced. It could happen a few times in a few days, taking about a dozen times to start to not happening for 2 weeks. I have an impossible time replicating the issue to the dealer/my mechanic. The LED light doesn't flash, so I know it's not a key issue. Also, it cranks over completely fine, just won't start.
Old 02-17-2011 | 07:47 AM
AbsolutSpeedZ

Originally Posted by winchman
"The car acts like it's gonna start, but just doesn't start all the way (if that makes sense)."

I listened to the video. A closer description would be that the engine spins normally, but doesn't fire.

Here's a list of possibilities for engine starting problem descriptions:

Turn the key, and nothing at all happens.

TTK, and one single click from the solenoid.

TTK, and a rapid series of clicks from the solenoid.

TTK, and engine turns slowly, but doesn't fire.

TTK, and engine spins and fires, but doesn't start running.

TTK, and engine starts running, but dies immediately.

TTK, and engine starts running normally.

Pick one of those, and everyone will know exactly what's happening.
----I believe that's the option, but I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, I can try to do another video?
Old 02-24-2011 | 04:57 PM
AbsolutSpeedZ

I changed the flywheel and clutch back to factory and had my ECU reset to the newest specs and it's still having the same issue, I think I'm gonna cut my losses and sell my car and buy something else, no one can figure it out and it won't stop happening.