Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

O'reilley wont honor my window motor warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:35 AM
ZKansasZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O'reilley wont honor my window motor warranty

So I bought the unlimited warranty from O'reilly for the window motor since it keeps going out on me.
I've been using the warranty for about 4-5 times for the last couple years now.
Yesterday, the guy at O'reilly told me that they wont do that for me anymore. I asked him for the reason and he said:"There is no way 1 part keeps being defected like this. There must be something else wrong to the car. Therefore, we wont honor the unlimited warranty anymore"

I told him that this is a known fact about nissan window motor.
blah blah blah...

But whatever it is, I bought the unlimited warranty, I should have the right to replace it, shouldn't I?

Oh, I have a 350z, Davidv (just in case you waste your time to post a picture of my profile again)
Old 12-13-2010, 05:38 AM
derekinthez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the "unlimited warranty" and see what it says. In the meantime, buy the next one under a different name.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:45 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Break down and by the OEM motor - how many times did you say you have had to re-install the same defective part? isn't your time worth anything?????? Regardless, they SHOULD be honoring the warranty - you need to call corporate.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 AM
glenns280

drive your car into the front doors
Old 12-13-2010, 07:37 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by glenns280
drive your car into the front doors
Old 12-13-2010, 07:50 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If it's not installed properly, or there is a problem with the window mechanism, track or something in the door, then it's not a problem with the motor, is it? Oreilly is right, one or two failures would be attributted to the motor, more than that would make me suspect something else.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:53 AM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, did you ask O'Reilly "pretty please" to replace the once again defective window motor??
Old 12-13-2010, 11:04 AM
stein

Originally Posted by ZKansasZ
So I bought the unlimited warranty from O'reilly for the window motor since it keeps going out on me.
I've been using the warranty for about 4-5 times for the last couple years now.
Yesterday, the guy at O'reilly told me that they wont do that for me anymore. I asked him for the reason and he said:"There is no way 1 part keeps being defected like this. There must be something else wrong to the car. Therefore, we wont honor the unlimited warranty anymore"

I told him that this is a known fact about nissan window motor.
blah blah blah...

But whatever it is, I bought the unlimited warranty, I should have the right to replace it, shouldn't I?

Oh, I have a 350z, Davidv (just in case you waste your time to post a picture of my profile again)

Sounds like something other than the motor... You may want to read up on the "unlimited warranty" as there may be a limit to the number of replacements they allow.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:22 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a water heater once with a "lifetime" warranty on everything except the tank, but the fine print explained that they would only replace each component one time during the warranty period. After that experience, I did better. The extended warranty on my heat pump says they will fix/replace anything needed to keep the unit functioning as it was designed to function.

Why are the window motors such a weak point? Does it have anything to do with the little shift in the window every time the door is opened or closed?

That's gotta be a lot of added wear on the motor. Lots of people, myself included, hardly ever lower the windows on their cars. On the Z, I bump the driver's window down just enough so it doesn't move when I open/close the door, and leave it there. The passenger door doesn't get much use, so I leave it all the way up.

Last edited by winchman; 12-13-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:11 PM
ZKansasZ

Imma read that little paragraph when I get home tonight to find out!
Thanks for all the feedbacks, guys!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:23 PM
can'tZme

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
If it's not installed properly, or there is a problem with the window mechanism, track or something in the door, then it's not a problem with the motor, is it? Oreilly is right, one or two failures would be attributted to the motor, more than that would make me suspect something else.
^^ What he said. I work at NAPA and I wouldn't warranty it either after that many times.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:57 PM
splby

just got mine from them and installed it this past weekend...

hope it doesnt go out on me that many times.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:07 PM
ndilo21

Definitely read the "unlimited warranty" because if it is truly unlimited the reason for failure shouldn't matter. I do remember reading a thread about badly aligned window tracks cause a harsh stress on the window motors which is why they fail (and probably what's happening in your case), but they are a pain in the *** to properly align.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:55 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by splby
just got mine from them and installed it this past weekend...

hope it doesnt go out on me that many times.
What a talent hito, basic wrenching ability & serious "street dancing skills," also.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 PM
SQBassHead

Originally Posted by PerfZ
Break down and by the OEM motor - how many times did you say you have had to re-install the same defective part? isn't your time worth anything?????? Regardless, they SHOULD be honoring the warranty - you need to call corporate.
+1, i replaced mine with OEM bc ive heard TOO MANY stories like this.....

(knock on wood) i havent had a problem
Old 12-13-2010, 11:23 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
I bought a water heater once with a "lifetime" warranty on everything except the tank, but the fine print explained that they would only replace each component one time during the warranty period. After that experience, I did better. The extended warranty on my heat pump says they will fix/replace anything needed to keep the unit functioning as it was designed to function.

Why are the window motors such a weak point? Does it have anything to do with the little shift in the window every time the door is opened or closed?

That's gotta be a lot of added wear on the motor. Lots of people, myself included, hardly ever lower the windows on their cars. On the Z, I bump the driver's window down just enough so it doesn't move when I open/close the door, and leave it there. The passenger door doesn't get much use, so I leave it all the way up.
Good question.

The window motor is pretty complicated. Open. Close. Close then seal 1/8 inch. Auto-open with key fob. Open with key. The more electronic gizmos incorporated into any operation - the greater the chance of breaking.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:18 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
... Why are the window motors such a weak point? Does it have anything to do with the little shift in the window every time the door is opened or closed?...
I've driven my Z daily for almost 7 years now and never had the slightest problem with the windows. While there have been numerous complaints there are still a lot of us with no problem at all. There have been several people like OP that report multiple problems with the window/motor, including several replacements. To me, that screams "it's not the motor, it's what the motor is driving". If you have a bad mechanism, i.e. the window is binding and taking more force than the motor was designed to handle, then sure you are going to burn up motors. But you can keep replacing them until the day the car dies and it never going to solve the underlying problem.

Motor replacement is only curing a symptom, not the cause.