Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

clutch bleeding an '05

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:24 PM
sways350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch bleeding an '05

Ok I looked and have found nothing useful...

One person say you can use a bleeder tool but only a certain type like a pressure bleeder; which I don't have. I have a vacuum bleeder. Another says you need at least 2 people to do this. Some people say it takes "hours"!! Someone else says to buy a different fluid resivior?! What's the real answer? I don't have hours to waste and I'd rather do it by myself. Can I get some advice here please. Thank you.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 PM
blueVQ

If you dont have the right tools it is hard and takes a long time to do it yourself. What you have to do is just let gravity bleed the system for you. Take the cap off the master and fill full of fluid then open the bleeder valve down on the slave. You then have to sit there and wait while the slave drips very slow and make sure the master does not go empty and suck air otherwise you have to start all over. What i always do is just get any random person/relative/girlfriend to pump the pedal for me... it takes maybe 10 minutes. Open the cap on the master and fill full of fluid then every time he/she pumps have them hold the pedal down and you are under the car and crack the bleeder on the slave to let pressure/air out. DO NOT let them lift the pedal until you shut the bleeder. Then after you shut the bleeder he/she can lift the pedal and it will suck some more fluid from the resevior. you need to stay under the car and just keep cracking the bleeder everytime they push the pedal down and closing it before they lift it up. just get up every 4-5 pumps or so to make sure the reseviour is not empty because as before if it goes empty and sucks air you have to start all over. just keep repeating and the pedal will get harder and harder until it is right. be prepared to have quite a bit of fluid on the floor or in an oil drain pan or something because as you are cracking that bleeder, more and more fluid will come out as you get all the air out. so make sure you have extra fluid because you dont want to run out. hope this helps
Old 01-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Dblock55

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

^^^ what he said lol... ive bled my clutch three times this past month... cant seem to get it to stop sticking.... it only sticks when i rev up high and mostly in higher gears.... i dunno i think the master cylinder is bad, might have to replace it... ive bled this system before with no problems but cant seem to get it this time around... good luck OP... its pretty simple lol
Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 PM
turtlez

Not to highjack the thread but my 03 was grinding going into 5th. I had the clutch bled and it went away. I just got the car and I know the synchros are a common problem. I guess what im asking is did it just need a bleed or will it be coming back shortly? It shifts far better in all the gears now with no hint of grind
Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 PM
sways350

Thanks guys. I'll have a friend help me this weekend hopefully my pedal will come all the way up all the time afterwards.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:31 AM
tw8715

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm i did mine my self.. i just let it drip. just make sure you let it run drive.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:49 PM
blueVQ

Originally Posted by turtlez
Not to highjack the thread but my 03 was grinding going into 5th. I had the clutch bled and it went away. I just got the car and I know the synchros are a common problem. I guess what im asking is did it just need a bleed or will it be coming back shortly? It shifts far better in all the gears now with no hint of grind
ya that doesnt really make a whole lot of sense...i guess maybe there was a little air in it and when you pushed the pedal it wasn't bringing the clutch plate back far enough? almost like shifting with no clutch i guess... but if its gone now i guess you should be fine. just keep your fingers crossed i suppose...haha
Old 01-12-2011, 03:58 PM
blueVQ

Originally Posted by Dblock55
^^^ what he said lol... ive bled my clutch three times this past month... cant seem to get it to stop sticking.... it only sticks when i rev up high and mostly in higher gears.... i dunno i think the master cylinder is bad, might have to replace it... ive bled this system before with no problems but cant seem to get it this time around... good luck OP... its pretty simple lol
if you are going to change the master, what i usually do is change the slave too....the master is the expensive one and the slave is quite a bit cheaper. that way you know that its fixed, you dont want to take the time to do the master and then still have the same problem..lol.... But honestly unless the fluid is leaking somewhere it's probably not the cylinders. If your fluid reseviour stays full but your pedal sticks it may be something else. A while ago i had changed both my cylinders thinking that was the problem and it was still doing the same thing... well long story short it ended up being the retainer clip that holds the throwout bearing was broken. so if something is wrong with the bearing,fork,or clip the bearing might not be wanting to slide back and forth on the input shaft and that would also make your pedal feel funny.