Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

throttle body problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had the exact problem. got a new throttle body, did the relearn and it stayed perfect since then. easy fix.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:06 AM
dchi_t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting. maybe that is what i'll end up doing, i REALLY hope its not a bad ECU.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:55 AM
STL 350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having this exact problem as well. Idle's fine around 600rpm once warmed up in the driveway.... if I push the clutch in while rolling say around 55 mph the rpms will go up to about 2500 then drop to 900 then bounce back to 1500 and hover there until I let the clutch out. I have gotten multiple tps sensor codes and sometimes the throttle will stop working all together resulting in me pulling off to the side of the road, car will stall, hesitate to start again then start once it sits a couple minutes. When that happens the gas pedal will not work at all and I assume this it limp mode.

I am going to order a new tb soon and see if this fixes the issue. I have cleaned the MAF sensor, check all intake connections and hoses for leaks and performed all relearns too.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:57 AM
dchi_t

that doesnt sound like the problem we're having. you might have a bad crank position sensor.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 PM
STL 350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then why am I getting TPS code P2135? That's the throttle body...
Old 02-19-2011, 11:38 AM
dchi_t

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
i had the exact problem. got a new throttle body, did the relearn and it stayed perfect since then. easy fix.
so i bit the bullet and got a throttle body from the dealer, disconnected the battery, removed the old TB and replaced with the new (remanufacturered). did the whole pedal dance sequence, (all 4 of them). started it up, RPM dropped down to within spec. drove the car around, came back up, turned off my car, crossed my finger, and RPM went back up to ~1k. i'm going to torch my car now.

I'm all out of ideas. do i need to drive the car around some more so the ecu can have time to relearn, or what?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:07 PM
dchi_t

i am disconnect my battery over night, and doing the procedure over again. however, one slight thing i did notice. my idle is noticeably lower once my car is warmed up from a cold start. if i cold start my car, let it warm up until the temp needle reaches the middle the idle is a tad bit under 1k. once i drive around the car some more and the rest of the car warms up, the idle goes back up to the ~1k range. does this bit of info help?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:18 AM
dchi_t

fail - didn't work.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:47 PM
scoobyrex247

i think the devil took over our cars
Old 03-10-2011, 05:49 AM
steidz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll add my experience. I have an 03 with 95,000 Had the same TB code p0507 and idle issues after cleaning out some of the buildup around the TB.. I also got a Knock Sensor code p0327 at the same time. I tried the all three relearn step and the idle would correct but only last for that start. Finally I disconnected the battery and the plug to the throttle body( dont know if it makes a difference), left it unplugged all night. In the morning hooked up the TB and the battery,did the Throttle valve and pedal position learn and started it up. NO SES light so I and went for a drive. After everything was warmed up my idle settled down to 750 and no issues with the idle jumping around and no repeat on the knock sensor code. Its now 3 days and about 60 miles with a number a starts and all looks good. In fact my idle just started to settle into the 650 range which is spot on with the book.

Hope this gives hope to those in need.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:20 PM
scoobyrex247

After having this p0507 lingering probler for about 2 month, the ses is finally off and its off for about 2 weeks. I didnt do anything, it would turn on n off intermitently but now it seems ok. Idles at 600rpm. My car also passed smog today! Yay. I noticed the ses was off so took care of smog in case it ever returns.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:57 AM
dchi_t

i've been noticing a whistling coming from my engine bay somewhere while driving at night with the radio off. this could quite possibly be a vacuum leak somewhere that is causing the high idle. does anyone know of a good mechanic in los angeles that is able to do a smoke test?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dchi_t
i've been noticing a whistling coming from my engine bay somewhere while driving at night with the radio off. this could quite possibly be a vacuum leak somewhere that is causing the high idle. does anyone know of a good mechanic in los angeles that is able to do a smoke test?
Check the PCV connection and valve as well.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:16 AM
dchi_t

i've check the left PCV valve and hose, the right side is a little more difficult to get to. perhaps it might even be a faulty pcv valve?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:06 AM
dchi_t

Hi all, i Just wanted to give an update. I finally got this crap fixed! yesterday i took it to performance nissan in duarte and they spent the entire day trying to reprogram the TB/ecu. at the end of the day they finally were to get it reprogrammed. they said many factors had come into play to successfully get it to relearn and remember the correct idle. battery voltage, engine temp, etc... he wasn't exactly specific but i'm assuming certain environmental factors had to be met before the ECU will take the reprogram. whatever, i don't care as long as its fixed. kuddos to performance nissan in duarte. top notch folks!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Encino_Man

Originally Posted by dchi_t
Hi all, i Just wanted to give an update. I finally got this crap fixed! yesterday i took it to performance nissan in duarte and they spent the entire day trying to reprogram the TB/ecu. at the end of the day they finally were to get it reprogrammed. they said many factors had come into play to successfully get it to relearn and remember the correct idle. battery voltage, engine temp, etc... he wasn't exactly specific but i'm assuming certain environmental factors had to be met before the ECU will take the reprogram. whatever, i don't care as long as its fixed. kuddos to performance nissan in duarte. top notch folks!
Hmm, wish you had more info.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:00 PM
scoobyrex247

dchi_t how much did duarte nissan charge you for this service?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:58 AM
styy81

hey guys sorry to ride on this thread. Anyone found the right diagnose for this problem? Recently when I clean my throttle body and install back I experience high idling (1.5k rpm). I have ART pipes, stillen Y pipe and aftermarket exhaust with stock drop in KNN filter, Osiris reflash. I also tried the link for relearn and flash back to stock Eco but the problem cannot be fix. I am desperate to get this rectify anyone could help or comment?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 AM
steidz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steidz
I'll add my experience. I have an 03 with 95,000 Had the same TB code p0507 and idle issues after cleaning out some of the buildup around the TB.. I also got a Knock Sensor code p0327 at the same time. I tried the all three relearn step and the idle would correct but only last for that start. Finally I disconnected the battery and the plug to the throttle body( dont know if it makes a difference), left it unplugged all night. In the morning hooked up the TB and the battery,did the Throttle valve and pedal position learn and started it up. NO SES light so I and went for a drive. After everything was warmed up my idle settled down to 750 and no issues with the idle jumping around and no repeat on the knock sensor code. Its now 3 days and about 60 miles with a number a starts and all looks good. In fact my idle just started to settle into the 650 range which is spot on with the book.

Hope this gives hope to those in need.
Did you try disconnecting the battery for extended period( overnight) as I discribed above? Then do the relearns!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:14 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the car MUST be at operating temperature for any of the relearns to actually take effect.

Thats why the OP could never get it to work. Your car will not relearn if you leave the battery unplugged over night and then try to idle control relearn on a cold engine.

The coolant must be above 70C (160F)

Quick Reply: throttle body problem