Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

throttle body problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:04 AM
styy81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
the car MUST be at operating temperature for any of the relearns to actually take effect.

Thats why the OP could never get it to work. Your car will not relearn if you leave the battery unplugged over night and then try to idle control relearn on a cold engine.

The coolant must be above 70C (160F)
I tried the relearn several times finally set idling below 1k but still on the high side like 800rpm. Now the problem is it likes to spurt and jerk randomly. At first I thought it was air con kicking in so I off it but the problem is still there. It does spurt and jerk randomly. Anyone could advise what may cause it or my TB is totally damaged after cleaning? I heard from local not sure if it is true that our oem TB are coated with a layer of special paint, if we remove it during cleaning tb it will cause this high idling and spurting
Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed some weird stuff happening after cleaning mine, then I bought a can of electrics safe lube (probably overkill, basic lube would probably have been fine) from a Radio Shack and that helped with my issues.

I also hear the TB's going bad fairly commonly. Not to mention the possibility of a dirty or bad MAF after removing the tube and possibly being bang around. Aside from that stuff check for air and vacuum leaks.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:27 AM
styy81

Do you guys suggest if I should buy a new TB and if this could rectify this issue?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:50 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they are only 50-80$ on ebay, might as well.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:31 AM
styy81

Originally Posted by str8dum1
they are only 50-80$ on ebay, might as well.
You mean buy oem TB from eBay right? Able TP rectify this problem if I install new TB? Now idle seems stable but car is sperting and farting during idle.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:23 PM
silvertouringz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had the high idle problem after cleaning the TB. My idle was around 1100. tried relearn numerous times with a stop watch with no results. I disconnected the battery overnight and started the car now and the idle is back to normal and where it should be around 850 (i have cams). i know im bumpin the thread, but i wanted to be helpful.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:50 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are a couple of things people need to pay attention to here.

1) This is specifically for people who get the re-learn to work (instantly sets the correct idle speed when performed) But then the high idle problem returns after turning the engine off, then back on again.

2) Engine temp does have to be hot, so you can't do it when cold.

No, i can't set mine either.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:54 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

I'm posting this same response in a few threads for this problem in the hope that someone else will benefit from it.

My idle problem is fixed, and by that, i mean the problem where it does not remember the correct low idle after turning the car off.

I did a couple of things differently during my last reset, which i'll explain below, but here's the points i used.

1) Car fully up to running temperature (required)

2) Reset performed per the book, correctly takes new idle setting (as normal each time i do it)

Two things i did/did not do this time that seemed to make the difference:

1) I turned off the interior fan before starting the procedure.

2) I did not rev the car a few times after the new lower idle had taken (even though the procedure calls for it)

I have no idea which of those two made the difference. All i know is, that it's now remembering the new idle and it's super smooth.

I had loaded a new map on the car a week previously, and i had the door open and the fans on low with the engine off for a few mins before starting it, i do have LED interior bulbs.
However, it complained of battery voltage too low and would not let me flash until i had closed the door and turned the fans off.

This has never been a problem before when flashing and whilst i don't think it's a problem directly, i'm wondering if it showed up another problem that perhaps contributed towards the issue.

The battery isn't that old but it's possible it's not as well as i thought, I'm thinking the battery voltage during the reset procedure, which is done with the ignition on but engine off, was causing a problem with the learning portion.

Short version;

* I came home and turned off the engine, fans and kept door closed.
* I ran the procedure, acquiring the lower idle, but omitting the rev testing at the end.
* Turned off the engine and shut the car up for the night.
* Everything perfect once up to running temperature the next day.

Hope this helps someone out.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 PM
ColeParker

Default Code P0507

i know im starting up a dead thread, but im having the p0507 code come up, i got it scanned by autozone and then came home and did the ecu reset. and it went off for a day and came back on, i never had a high idle at all, it was always normal. i took it to the local shop that i trust, and they couldnt find a leak anywhere or anything wrong. so i tok my car back and did all the resets and relearns and it came back on 7 hours later. i need help
Old 08-02-2012, 07:04 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Er, i only posted a few days ago, not too old

So what *is* your idle actually at when you get this code?
Old 02-23-2020, 10:28 AM
Brayanblanco22

Originally Posted by STL 350Z
I am having this exact problem as well. Idle's fine around 600rpm once warmed up in the driveway.... if I push the clutch in while rolling say around 55 mph the rpms will go up to about 2500 then drop to 900 then bounce back to 1500 and hover there until I let the clutch out. I have gotten multiple tps sensor codes and sometimes the throttle will stop working all together resulting in me pulling off to the side of the road, car will stall, hesitate to start again then start once it sits a couple minutes. When that happens the gas pedal will not work at all and I assume this it limp mode.

I am going to order a new tb soon and see if this fixes the issue. I have cleaned the MAF sensor, check all intake connections and hoses for leaks and performed all relearns too.
hey man it’s 3 months i am trying to find someone who would have my same problem.. it was the throttle bodies???