Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Regular unleaded gas/ sluggish motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:05 PM
03basesedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
"The plugs have probably been trashed from running the lower octane gas, change them."

Why is that? Plugs usually last 100K miles on regular in lots of vehicles using only regular gas. I'd go with putting in premium gas, resetting the ECU, see how it runs, and then take other action as required.

Don't do the compression test until you find out if more work is required. You can do it when you change the plugs, IF you have to change them. If it runs right after the ECU reset, you're good to go.
Mine looked like they were ready for a change at 75k. The car was stock until 65k.

OP, change the plugs, use premium, rest ECU, and check to make sure the throttle body is opening all the way when at WOT.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:15 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My daughter bought a new Mazda CX-9 V6. The manual said to run premium, but she put in regular to save a few bucks. The cat system failed twice while it was under warranty, and the dealership siad it was the result of running regular fuel The dealership told her it would be $1800 if it went out again after the warranty expired, so she traded it for a Subaru Outback.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 PM
AJCaron12

Originally Posted by bailey bill
My daughter bought a new Mazda CX-9 V6. The manual said to run premium, but she put in regular to save a few bucks. The cat system failed twice while it was under warranty, and the dealership siad it was the result of running regular fuel The dealership told her it would be $1800 if it went out again after the warranty expired, so she traded it for a Subaru Outback.
Yeah always use what the car recommends.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:26 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bailey bill
Doesn't surprise me. The ECU would have had to majorly retard the timing and dump fuel to keep the block from grenading, which in turn caused higher EGT's and roasted cats.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:38 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by venmichaels
I just recently purchased an 03 350z 6mt with 70k miles

This is my 3rd 350z, and this one seems to run very sluggish..
The motor sounds fine.. idles perfectly.. no noticeable sounds/shaking at all..

HOWEVER. its SLOWWWW.. very sloww to accelerate.. when im cruising in 2nd gear going 40 and punch it! it is very slow to accelerate.. The rpm's climb slowly and it doesnt have that 'kick' when u got WOT..

If the Previous owner was using regular gas.. did he PERMANENTLY screw up the air/fuel mixture..? Can this be reversed if i started using PRemium fuel only?????

Please advise...
Do you know for a fact that the previous owner used only regular gas? That seems a pretty difficult determination to make without knowing the previous owner.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Nebiros

Whenever I buy a used car with basically unknown maintenance history I completely go through it.

New air filters, induction service, fuel injector service, compression check, new plugs, and change all fluids front to back. You could also send out an oil sample to check the internals.

Good luck
Old 04-03-2011, 03:15 PM
AJCaron12

Originally Posted by nebiros
whenever i buy a used car with basically unknown maintenance history i completely go through it.

New air filters, induction service, fuel injector service, compression check, new plugs, and change all fluids front to back. You could also send out an oil sample to check the internals.

Good luck
+1000000000000000000000
Old 04-03-2011, 10:23 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The last used vehicle I bought was a six-cylinder '90 Ford pickup with 19K miles on it in '92. I sold it in 2003 with 105K miles on it.

I never touched the drive train except for a fan belt replacement and routine oil and oil filter changes on the engine. When I sold it, the original air filter, radiator coolant, AT fluid, spark plugs, and rear end oil were still in it, and it was running and driving just fine.

I know the fellow I sold it to kept it for several years with no issues, so the truck obviously wasn't dying when I sold it.

Routine maintenance (with the exception of engine oil and filter) is highly overrated, but if it makes you feel good, have at it.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:51 AM
venmichaels

i reset the ecu and began running premium only.. there is still no difference is performance.. and to add more info.. The motor has a loud and audible ticking sound coming from the top of the motor.. the ticking speeds up as i step on the accelerator.. I fear that the ticking is 'rod knocking' or a stuck lifter...

I was hoping the ticking was because of the grade of gas... but even after running premium its still ticking... any ideas?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by winchman
The last used vehicle I bought was a six-cylinder '90 Ford pickup with 19K miles on it in '92....
Those engines were freakin bullet-proof.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Noor93y

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im about a year late but whatever, Ive been doing my research and what ive understood is that becuase lower octane fuels have more burning resistance the engine thinks its burning when its not. Again im not expert (so if im wrong correct me) thats what i understood. and that the engine will start knocking when too much regular fuel is used. What does that mean? knocking???
Old 05-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Kcee91

Originally Posted by Noor93y
Im about a year late but whatever, Ive been doing my research and what ive understood is that becuase lower octane fuels have more burning resistance the engine thinks its burning when its not. Again im not expert (so if im wrong correct me) thats what i understood. and that the engine will start knocking when too much regular fuel is used. What does that mean? knocking???
Basically, the higher the octane the less knock you should experience. As others have said, different engines require different grades of fuel like regular, mid grade, or premium. Most cars run regular now I believe, but the higher end cars always are PREMIUM for a reason. Again, other people mentioned the ECU will cut back on timing to compensate for regular. To be honest, just run premium from now on. There's no going back in time to see if it's been ran on regular. Knocking is basically a knocking sound. Nothing to it, but that. It's just more pronounced and you will definitely hear it.