Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Severe Oil burning! 04 6mt G coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 05:16 PM
krispyklene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe Oil burning! 04 6mt G coupe

hey guys... recently i have been noticing a huge amount of white/light blue smoke on start ups and the smoke reeks of oil burning. i honestly haven't noticed any power loss... so i brushed it off. i checked my oil and it was almost empty.

I put some lucas oil additive on my last change, but i still am having the same problems. Is it possible that my car has something minor like a valve cover, gasket leak?

in a nutshell, i want to know why this is happening to my car.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:20 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

time for a rebuild.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:30 PM
krispyklene

really superblack350z? i thought that was an option. But didn't know that my symptoms were so extreme that the fix is that obvious? haha

i was thinking about buying a revup longblock wiring harness and ECU or replacing it with a regular DE longblock. needless to say, i don't want to spend a whole lot of money for repair.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:13 PM
SuperBlack350z

its not coming from your valve covers or anything like that. it most likely is your piston rings, seals or something to that nature. if you are seeing blue smoke, its time to either buy another used engine or rebuild yours.

buy a rev up long block, get oil consumption again. just keep your regular DE.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Lee R

http://www.importpartspro.com/shblpa.html

Good luck!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:54 PM
delacroix3721

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
its not coming from your valve covers or anything like that. it most likely is your piston rings, seals or something to that nature. if you are seeing blue smoke, its time to either buy another used engine or rebuild yours.
Exactamundo.

I bought my Z with this issue and bought a new DE with less miles and swapped em out. I'm keeping my original block to build up later, but I wanted to drive the car sooner than it would take to build the original up again.

Good luck!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:09 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Slight overbore, new pistons, rods, rod bolts and headstuds, bearings, gaskets, JWT valve springs and shims, and JWT camshafts. Enjoy.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:22 PM
krispyklene

i might be down for that import parts short block... but will i see any significant gains for dropping an extra grand or so for that block?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:31 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by krispyklene
i might be down for that import parts short block... but will i see any significant gains for dropping an extra grand or so for that block?
no gains just a rebuilt, stronger motor.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:36 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My NA motor built is from IPP. No problems. The insurance to reinforce the motor and a bit of headwork is well worth it. Protect your revs.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:23 PM
krispyklene

hmmm i think that may be out of the question for me then. i think i'll try to source a used motor. i'm almost positive it's the piston rings... the funny thing is that my car runs just as good as when i got it. i even kept up with a e46 m3 the other day lol.

however, i'm sure that it might just be the piston rings... which is about a 100 dollar part, the labor would run me close to 1,000 dollars i'm guessing. anyone know?

i just want my car back to normal for the cheapest way possible.
sorry if i sound like a cheapskate guys... it's just that i'm a starving college student
Old 05-21-2011, 12:46 AM
silvertouringz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats ur mileage?
Old 05-21-2011, 12:55 AM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by krispyklene
hmmm i think that may be out of the question for me then. i think i'll try to source a used motor. i'm almost positive it's the piston rings... the funny thing is that my car runs just as good as when i got it. i even kept up with a e46 m3 the other day lol.

however, i'm sure that it might just be the piston rings... which is about a 100 dollar part, the labor would run me close to 1,000 dollars i'm guessing. anyone know?

i just want my car back to normal for the cheapest way possible.
sorry if i sound like a cheapskate guys... it's just that i'm a starving college student
i feel you on just wanting to fix the problem because of money issues but you have to understand, you will have the motor apart, why not just replace everything else so you dont have to do it twice down the road..and when i say down the road, i mean it can be within a couple thousands of miles, who knows.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:06 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you checked your crankcase ventilation system? There have been some threads about problems with the PCV causing oil consumption issues.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:12 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Since your car is running good and you are looking for a cheap solution....................just keep adding oil as it burns down. Oil is about $4.00 per quart and if you are only burning a quart every thousand miles or so, your annual cost for the additional oil will be about $50. Save your money and rebuild it the right way when you have the funds.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:46 PM
krispyklene

update* this morning i started up my car and it was smoking so, so, so, so much more than before... i kept it on for about 15 minutes and it still was burning a thick amount of smoke... i couldn't drive it without getting pulled over lol. but my dad said he's going to help me pay for repairs if we just swap the engine out... it's much cheaper. but thanks for your input guys! RIP to my vq35de...

hopefully i can keep my longblock and piece it together over time.

and just so you all know... i have just under 80K miles... :\

oh and btw... i'm burning alot more oil than you guys might think... i'm pretty sure it's about 1 quart every hundred or so.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:52 AM
PortugueseG35

Yea im having the same issue with my car I was told by a mechanic that I have a burnt valve and thats y im burning oil and have smoke so I was thinking of getting heads from Z1 to fix the issue could this be a possibility but im also thinking of changing mu pcv valve sorry not trying to steal your thred
Old 07-28-2011, 01:42 PM
winchman

A burnt valve shouldn't cause the engine to burn oil. The only ways oil can get into the combustion chamber are:

through bad piston rings

through bad valve stem seals

through the PCV system

Last edited by winchman; 07-28-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:47 AM
PortugueseG35

Ok so im gonna change the pcv valve first and see what happens if that doesnt work does anybody have a short block they would like to donate lol. jk jk my thing is im a newly married man and times are rough now for me it just sucks cause I havent driven my car in like a month I start it let it run for a bit but im scared of driving the car incase it is the piston rings I dont have the cash for a new longblock
Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
i feel you on just wanting to fix the problem because of money issues but you have to understand, you will have the motor apart, why not just replace everything else so you dont have to do it twice down the road..and when i say down the road, i mean it can be within a couple thousands of miles, who knows.
because if he has no intentions of using a built block for it's intended purpose, a simply refresh of the bottom end will be all that is needed

why spend several thousand on a shortblock that offers him no benefit?

Quick Reply: Severe Oil burning! 04 6mt G coupe