Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2003 6 speed 350z will not shift correctly -PLZ HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 PM
dirty z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 6 speed 350z will not shift correctly -PLZ HELP!

It seems that the shifter is getting stuck. It feels like a screw fell out of the bottom of the shifter assembly and is some how moving around inside.

-Details Below

-When I shift, it use to be a very firm straight foward shift. Now it feels like it twist a little when I shift.

-It is not going into 5th very well right now but some times 2nd. ( as i stated I believe there is something moving around at the bottom of the shifter assembly

- The shifter use to not move around to much while in gear. ( Now it moves like 2-3 inches )

- I can hear a rattling some times

Other than all this the car runs great still and when It is in gear the tranny seems suberb!

So my question... What can I do to fix this? I dont think it is anything major like a tranny. Could it be I need to buy a new shifter assembly?

Thank you in advance I really appreciate it.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:36 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You probably could have taken everything apart and found the cause of your problems in the time it took you to make this thread.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:48 PM
dirty z

Well I have taken apart the top half of the shifter But I dont know how to get the ball part to conme undone. Im trying to search for it but unfortunately im having no luck.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:58 PM
PWSHHOCKEY44

You can follow a DIY on a short throw shifter install:

There are four bolts holding the shift boot onto the transmission tunnel. These are easily removed with a 10mm socket, ratchet and 6” extension.

Now, with that removed you should see a second boot covering the shifter assembly. That just pops off. That will reveal the triangular plants holding your shifter in.

Now you can see the stock retaining plate. Pay particular note to where the reverse lockout in faces! (For those who don’t…it goes toward the passenger side!) The bolts are 10mm. Very simple to remove. Again, ratchet, extension and a 10mm socket, should be easy. Be sure to keep the top shifter plate (triangle thing with 3 bolts in it).

Jack up the car (you can do the entire car if you like, but we only needed to lift up the one side to get access to it. You’ll see another boot covering the linkage, remove that (it slips off). There’s a single 12mm bolt holding the shifter in at this point, you can see it above the composite driveshaft. A stubby ratchet and 12mm socket are all you need. Once it comes loose, the shifter will pop up about 2” in the air, because of the spring underneath it that you can’t see at this point. Don’t worry, that’s normal. Just get back out from under the car and remove everything (including the spring).