Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

need some serious help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 04:56 PM
jurd_7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Computer Issues

I've got an '04 350z that will only idle, we replaced the Climate control ECM because someone told us that it could be part of the problem. But all it's doing is still idling, also the traction control light and engine light keeps coming on. When they put it on the machine it says it's the throtle sensor, could this be the truth or is it just tricking sensors???

Thanks

Last edited by jurd_7; 06-30-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:12 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If it says it's the throtle sensor, then its the throttle sensor, the car doesn't have a sense of humor to play games with you.lol
Old 06-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by midz350
If it says it's the throtle sensor, then its the throttle sensor, the car doesn't have a sense of humor to play games with you.lol
Haha

Probably is.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:38 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a suggestion. Put a subject in the subject line like

Squeaking brakes

instead of

Help

Need help immediately

or

If you don't help right away I will die!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:45 PM
BlkdOutZ

Dont post multiple threads one right after another, you are not going to get a faster answer. All you are doing is irritating people by making them read basically the same post over and over.

A mod should delete one of these threads and create a new title that displays what this guy needs some "serious" help with
Old 06-30-2011, 06:46 PM
BlkdOutZ

Originally Posted by davidv
Just a suggestion. Put a subject in the subject line like

Squeaking brakes

instead of

Help

Need help immediately

or

If you don't help right away I will die!

Old 06-30-2011, 06:47 PM
jurd_7

Sorry... I'm only 17 lol. Just trying to figure this out.

I was trying to figure out this car and it's issues I can't understand why the Climate Control ECM is effecting the throttle sensor and making the car idle only and show a check engine light and effect the traction Control Sensor yet you can reset the computer for a little while and it works fine then goes back to doing what it was doing. My dad went to the junk yard and pulled a ECM from another car and it worked for a few minutes and got the same issues again. Any one have a suggestion ?
Old 06-30-2011, 06:58 PM
jurd_7

Originally Posted by BlkdOutZ
Dont post multiple threads one right after another, you are not going to get a faster answer. All you are doing is irritating people by making them read basically the same post over and over.

A mod should delete one of these threads and create a new title that displays what this guy needs some "serious" help with
I didn't mean to post it twice either, my computer was acting up
Old 06-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Ruthless18x

Originally Posted by jurd_7

I was trying to figure out this car and it's issues I can't understand why the Climate Control ECM is effecting the throttle sensor and making the car idle only and show a check engine light and effect the traction Control Sensor yet you can reset the computer for a little while and it works fine then goes back to doing what it was doing. My dad went to the junk yard and pulled a ECM from another car and it worked for a few minutes and got the same issues again. Any one have a suggestion ?
Finish high school and learn how to use punctuation.

Then come back.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:09 PM
jurd_7

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Finish high school and learn how to use punctuation.

Then come back.
That wasn't me typing that message but that's alright. I came on here for advice, not criticism. If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Ruthless18x

That wasn't me typing that message but that's alright. I came on here for advice, not criticism. If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it.
Then don't use your age as a crutch. Makes you look like a little *****.

Anyways, the climate control box shouldn't have anything to do how the car runs. You can have all of that **** unplugged and it will run fine, the fan just blows full blast.

Who told you it was the the throttle sensor, Nissan?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:31 PM
jurd_7

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Then don't use your age as a crutch. Makes you look like a little *****.

Anyways, the climate control box shouldn't have anything to do how the car runs. You can have all of that **** unplugged and it will run fine, the fan just blows full blast.

Who told you it was the the throttle sensor, Nissan?
I was just clarifying that I'm not used to using these types of sites, not attempting to use my age as a "crutch."

A mechanic tried to tell me that but it didn't make any sense.

1. Why would the ECM have anything to do with the sensor? Doesn't the ECM deal with the air conditioning?
2. How easy are those sensors to replace, would my dad and I be able to do it? Or would it have to be taken to a good mechanic?

Last edited by jurd_7; 06-30-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:19 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Z you have is equipped with the optional age sensor to protect you from yourself.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:41 AM
1LightBrick

When I have an issue, which seems to be often (owning an elderly bimmer, (yes im in both the eurotrash and jdm scene)), I get a diagnosis of what the computer says is off, and then fix the broken part.
If a headlight buld is out, I will read "HEADLAMP OUT" and not wonder if my coolant level could also be causing my burnt bulb.
To quote you, "SOMEONE," told you they could be related in someway. "SOMEONE" is an idiot.
Stop crying, replace the throttle sensor (cause thats what the car says is wrong), and then come back to us.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:48 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its cool. Take a deep breath and go slow with this.

You have a cold and warn idle. This is an ECU function. The ECU is sensitive to simple things like disconnecting the battery. Sometime it will fix itself. Study “reset ECU” here.

SLIP is a traction control function. Do you have TCS or VDC?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:21 PM
shift_love

I was just clarifying that I'm not used to using these types of sites, not attempting to use my age as a "crutch."

A mechanic tried to tell me that but it didn't make any sense.

1. Why would the ECM have anything to do with the sensor? Doesn't the ECM deal with the air conditioning?
2. How easy are those sensors to replace, would my dad and I be able to do it? Or would it have to be taken to a good mechanic?
throttle sensor could either be the actual peddal assy or the throttle body, since this car uses drive by wire and has no IACV all of the vaccum workings for idle is built into the throttle body, if you replace the throttle body and you dont do a reflash or self learn through consult the car will not idle properly until it runs those programs by itself, which means it would need to be driveable, the ecu or ecm as you are familiar with saying it stands for engine control module or unit, it controls the ignition timing, emissions equipment and fuel curves based on inputs from the air fuel ratio, air intake readings, and what not...it has nothing to do with the air conditioning, thats controlled through the bcm which stands for body control module, if you dont know any of this i have two suggestions for you...research before working on your car, or dont work on your car, take it to a shop and have them diagnose and correct the problem. also, you cant just go swapping ecus from other z's theyre pretty much all different and need to be reconfigured for nats and CAN communication in order to function properly once installed in a new vehicle
Old 07-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Don't just start replacing parts *****-nilly. Get your FSM (Factory Service Manual), and bust out the DMM (Digital Multi Meter). Test the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). If this tests good (specs should be in your FSM), then test the throttle pedal assembly because as shift_love said, the car uses Drive By Wire.

Post back with your results.

Again, as shift_love said, the ECM is COMPLETELY unrelated to climate control function.

EDIT: Here's some links for the FSM. https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...anual-fsm.html

Last edited by Vivid Racing; 07-01-2011 at 03:39 PM.