Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window Problem, cant shut driver door from inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Alex-myZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Window Problem, cant shut driver door from inside

I have had my 03 350z for maybe 2 months and for some reason the windows have never had any issues but today my window when i last put it up it apparently went farther up than it should, and cracked the rubber that it touches at the top on the door whenever its all the way up, and whenever i open the door the window doesn't lower the centimeter it usually does and now i cant shut the door form the inside, i have to push the window forward and slow shut door then push real hard on outside to get it to shut making it not drivable since door wont shut, anyone else have this issue and if so how can i fix? seems every shops closed on July 3rd and 4th and i have to take a trip on the 5th at 9am. I tried to knock the panel like most people say to do in order to move the wiring in case it was a wiring issue and nothing has helped, my passenger window still works fine.

Any help would be great.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:19 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The window has a up position for a complete seal. When you close the door the window glass goes up a couple of mm. Open the door and the widow goes down a couple of mm.

The culprit is most likely the window motor. Search "window motor reset."
Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Alex-myZ

see i would think that but ive tried everything and i know it should go down but it wont, and i believe the window is actually higher than it should be, it was working fine no motor issues seemed to be happening but then it just all the sudden was broke when i got out of car, i think i used to auto close function where i pulled all the way up and it let my window go to far and pushed it off track, because its farther out than it should but idk any way to fix that
Old 07-02-2011, 10:07 PM
amossa

I had this problem few weeks ago.. ended up buying a new motor and regulator for $500 and replaced them myself. I ended up using the passenger side to get in and out for a few days..kinda embarrassing but it was just until I had time to do the fix.

I don't think your window can go up further than it's supposed to because the regulator has a max high and low. You can see what I mean in the pic below:

Here's a better pic so you have a better idea. The window can only go as far as the regulator does, so it's highly unlikely that it went too far up.

Since you're leaving soon.. your best bet is to open the door panel and manually lower the window with a wrench just enough to clear and leave it at that until you have time to inspect whether you need to replace the motor or regulator (or both like in my case). Also, avoid using the switch until you figure out what's wrong because you could end up blowing the motor when it might just be the regular that needs to be replaced!!! Hope this helps...

Last edited by amossa; 07-02-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:53 AM
Alex-myZ

thanks for the help, i went out to work on it this morning before work and somehow it magically was working again, Id assume this is a sign its gonna die out on my soon so i might as well be ready for it
Old 07-03-2011, 08:26 AM
ehsan

$500 is way to much for those parts
Old 07-03-2011, 06:46 PM
amossa

Originally Posted by ehsan
$500 is way to much for those parts
Yeah..unfortunately I'm in Canada and everything is more expensive here. Nissan actually wanted $510 for the motor alone and $200 for the regulator plus tax on top of all that (and another $200 for the labour). I ended up buying an aftermarket motor from my mechanic for $300 tax-in and the regulator from Nissan.