Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

car battery dies if left for more than 16 hours

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 02:13 PM
kevincat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car battery dies if left for more than 16 hours

So for the last 3 months, my car has been dying on me if i left it parked for more than ~16 hours. I probably jumped started my car more than 3 times every week and it have gotten very annoying.

I did a power drain draw test last month and it shows that it was pulling 1.29 AMPS/hr. YES 1.29!!!. So started to pull some fuses and it came out that my demon eyes were pulling the 1 amp/hr. But i couldnt trace the 0.29 amps to any of my aftermarkets parts. (I have left the demon eyes unplugged ever since)

I used to have a optima yellow top for 3 years and 3 months ago it died on me, so i purchase an auto silver from advance to replace it. With the optima, i was able to park my car for more than 3 days before the battery drained, but i never really looked into it because i rarely let it sit for that long. Btw, i brought the battery back to advance to get it checked and it shows that it was good.

so the question is, Is there anything else i need to check for that i probably missed on the first test? And is it normal for a battery to die with a .29 amps/hr drain if left parked more than 16 hours.

Im about to do another test in an hour on so. Any comments or advice will help a lot
Old 07-05-2011, 03:12 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you try pulling more fuses to isolate the 0.29 amps it's still draining?

Did you try "all" fuses, not just the ones behind the kick panel?

What other aftermarket or modified electronics do you have installed? Alarm, LoJack, amps, radar detectors, etc?
Old 07-05-2011, 03:58 PM
kevincat

I didnt pull all the fuses. just mainly the one that my aftermarket parts are connected to, which is mainly ign and acc.

I was going to pull pretty much all fuse out today including the hidden one behind the battery but it rain on me so i had to call it quits.

list of aftermarket parts i have installed

Carputer system- remove the fuse and wasnt the cause
Demon eyes- pulled 1 amp/hr. i left it unplugged
v1 radar mounted to mirror- untested
Mini amp for carputer- untested but is connected to ign
nav2tv converter for backup camera for my nav- untested, also connected to ign
backup camera- untested and powered by backup lights

that is all the stuff i have installed. most of it is connected to the majority of the fuse that i pulled.

on a side note, my dome lights have quit on me for more than a year now. even when i tried resetting the ecu, it still wouldnt work. im wondering if its the ecu that is doing the draining. Is that even possible?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:45 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

At this point, I'd say anything is possible - at least until you can rule it out.

I remember somebody telling me not to wire my V1 to the mirror power but I don't remember the reason. I wired it to a switched source. That might be something to try disconnecting first.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 07-05-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:33 PM
kevincat

so i did a quick test and it seems like after 5 minute (with the negative removed and attached to a meter) it shows that the amps drop down to 0.15. I know that the recommended drain is around 0.02-0.04. But is a .15 amp/hr drain capable of causing the battery to die in 16 hours?

i also unplug the v1 and unplug pretty much all of my aftermarket parts and none of them drop it any more than stated.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:45 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

I wouldn't think that .15 or even .29 amp/hr would cause it to drain the battery in just 16 hrs.

If you've disconnected just about everything "external" and it's still drawing that much current, it might be time to look elsewhere - my first guess would be the BCM. That controls a lot of the electrical systems like lights, alarms, windows, locks, etc.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:09 PM
kevincat

so worst case scenario, the bcm is bad. how hard is it to replace it?
i know there is a 40a fuse for the bcm under the hood. is it ok to remove the fuse and then check for the draw again?

about a year and a half ago i shorted the dome lights in a careless attempt to do some wiring and ever since, the dome light wouldnt work with the doors opened or not. But the map lights still work if i press on it. im wondering if that would be that case as to why the ecu or bcm being damaged?

could the alternator being bad cause the battery to drain that fast? i ruled that out because after jump starting the car, i would drive 10 min to work and leave it parked for 6 hours and it would start right up.

right now im trying to avoid buying another yellowtop so that the car wouldnt die on me everyday before i head to work. i want to fix this problem now so i dont have to deal with it again!!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:17 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

The BCM is relatively easy to replace - it's located behind the driver side kick panel, next to fuse box. Certainly pulling the fuse for it would help isolate the problem to it or one of the systems it controls.

A short could definitely be the source of your problems too. It might have friend something in the BCM.

I kinda doubt the alternator unless it's weak and you're not driving the car long enough to get a full charge back in it. From the sound of it, you've had the battery tested and it's okay.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's your alternator, you should check to make sure your battery voltage is around 13-16 volts while your Z is on.

If your PCM is bad it could potentially drain your battery, I would also look into your relays, if they are working or clicking.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:37 AM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Keep the warranty card for that battery because all of this discharging will cut its life in half while you try to find the problem. Conventional batteries HATE this sort of thing.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:22 PM
kevincat

ok so i finally got around to doing the drain test again.

it first pulled up .25 amps before any fuse was removed and then about 10 seconds later it would jump down to .15 and stayed there. After that i removed the 40amp fuse for the bcm and the meter immediately showed .07 and then jump down to .01 amps.

so right now i dont know if i should get a better battery or go ahead and replace the bcm. it is only showing that it is pulling .14 amp/hr. i cant see how that would drain my battery in half a day.

any new advice with the new info???
Old 07-11-2011, 07:44 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Mini-bump. I'm curious to find out what the problem is.
Anyone???
Old 07-11-2011, 09:19 PM
kevincat

my battery is still dying on me even tho it only shows a .07 amp/hr pull. and instead of 16hr im only getting less than half a day. im starting to think that the battery is going bad with all the draining and hard restarting. im bringing it in to Advance in the next day or two to check
Old 07-13-2011, 01:32 PM
kevincat

so i went to advanced to get my battery and alternator tested and it both passed. also it only shows a drain of 0.16 which is what i was getting anyways. so now im really starting to think its the bcm.

if i were to purchased a used one, would i be able to install it and drive it to nissan to get it program or do i have to get it towed there?
Old 07-13-2011, 02:05 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

BCM is model specific but it doesn't need to be programmed. You have to make sure you get on made for your year/trans/body.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:13 PM
kevincat

so is it the ecu or bcm that receives the signal from the key? im worried that if i get another bcm, that it wouldnt recognize my keys. if it doesnt need to be reprogrammed then i wouldnt have to deal with nissan which will make me much happier!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 03:55 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Originally Posted by kevincat
so is it the ecu or bcm that receives the signal from the key? im worried that if i get another bcm, that it wouldnt recognize my keys. if it doesnt need to be reprogrammed then i wouldnt have to deal with nissan which will make me much happier!!!
Must be the ECU based on what the last guy said.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:10 PM
kevincat

i did some searching and most if not all of the poster required that the OP bring it to nissan so that the reprogram the bcm so that the key would work. this is whats troubling me.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:25 PM
kevincat

so i removed the bcm fuse after i got off work last night and replugged it before i left for work and guess what??? the battery is still dead!!!! WTFFF!!!!

what else should i be looking out for???
Old 07-16-2011, 04:58 PM
kevincat

update (sort of)

i took my yellow top battery that i thought was dead, charged it with a schumacher battery charger for 2 days at 2 amp slow charge, and viola!! battery is back to life!!!

i replace my advanced silver top with my yellow top and now my car doesnt seem to die after every night. i still dont know why my car has been dying on me but at least its lasting longer than a day. also my brother who used to have a g35 had the same problem and infinity replace the ac controller on his car and that seem to fix the problem. just thought i let the forum know.

Quick Reply: car battery dies if left for more than 16 hours