Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Need Help with 04 350z convertible

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Maxima3835

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Help with 04 350z convertible

I just purchased a used 2004, Nissian 350z Convertible 72000miles, I live in Mississippi. Yes, it's true what they say about the streets and highways here are crap. Anyway, the car is scraping everything in site. I need to raise it or adjust the suspension. It has Hodgekins sway bars on the front and back but when I checked out the springs on the shocks they were stock not aftermarket lowering springs.

1. What is the correct height without any mods for a 2004 Nissan 350Z convertible? How do you measure that? Can stock front shocks be adjusted?

2. Where is the dirt cheapest place to go for an inexpensive convertible top-have a dealers license to use

3. Whats the largest tires to raise it up from the ground can you go with on 17" rims?

4. The clutch will need replaced soon found cheap new clutches on ebay but the dual mass flywheel does it have to be changed if not bad? I didnt want an aftermarket due to the chatter issue everyone on here complains about.

I know its allot of questions please email me at ilive4msubulldogs at yahoo dot com
Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

1) see pic below. No, the Z shocks/springs are not adjustable.

2) Check this sub-forum.. https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadster-124/

3) Don't use tires to raise/lower the car. You risk having problems with VDC/TCS, speedo & odometer readings.

4) If clutch not bad, then of course it doesn't need to be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails Need Help with 04 350z convertible-snap.jpg  
Old 07-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Maxima3835

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z

Thank you for the fast efficient response. I will check the height as soon as i get off work. I just purchased it and love the performance and handeling but scrapes my low driveway and had a tire replced at the shop and they ripped off my undercarriage dust engine cover. I truly want to raise the car a notch or two but I can't tell if the previous owner changed out the springs or not on the shocks. They modified it with the sway bars but really can't tell on the springs. Is there a way to visually differentiate aftermarket lowering springs from stock?

How can you raise the car 1 inch is all I need on the front would make a world difference on these crappy MS roads.

Any ideas on a roof? I have a body guy to put on. Ebay has them for around $500, just need something affordable. I keep car in the garage at work and home.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:39 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome and Congratulations.

Correct height? Just look at OEM tires.

Plenty of tire recommendations in the tires forum. Read. Learn.

Clutch recommendation are in the drivetrain forum. Read. Learn.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:41 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxima3835
Thank you for the fast efficient response. I will check the height as soon as i get off work. I just purchased it and love the performance and handeling but scrapes my low driveway and had a tire replced at the shop and they ripped off my undercarriage dust engine cover. I truly want to raise the car a notch or two but I can't tell if the previous owner changed out the springs or not on the shocks. They modified it with the sway bars but really can't tell on the springs. Is there a way to visually differentiate aftermarket lowering springs from stock?

How can you raise the car 1 inch is all I need on the front would make a world difference on these crappy MS roads.

Any ideas on a roof? I have a body guy to put on. Ebay has them for around $500, just need something affordable. I keep car in the garage at work and home.
If you are unsure about OEM suspension or aftermarket take it to a mechanic for a look see.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:56 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxima3835

Only if the prev owner changed the springs would that affect the ride height, shocks and sways wouldn't matter. I don't know any easy way to visually tell.

You best bet is to measure the ride height and compare to the chart I posted. That will tell you if it is at the OEM height or if it has been possibly lowered.

LA roads aren't much better than MS so I'm somewhat surprised by your scraping problems. The only place I run into problems is driveways and speed bumps. In my case, it's the front lip/spoiler.

Exactly what is scraping? Exhaust, front/rear, underbody, frame? When does it occur? Up/down driveways? Know that along with if you are at OEM height will help guide you on how to approach a solution.

As for roof - I have no experience with roadster tops so that's why I referenced the Roadster specific forum. I know there are many threads there on the subject of the top and replacement.

As for local shops, check out the Regional forum https://my350z.com/forum/south-central-31/ , I know there is a MS specific thread and somebody there might be able to help you find a local shop.