Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

70k miles on 04, what to do?

Old 07-20-2011, 10:42 AM
briin79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70k miles on 04, what to do?

i am like most people that do not live in the upperclass and able to afford all maintenence at the stealership when needed. Thus far i replaced brakes, heater core, radiator, belts, plugs at 30k. other than that always had an oil change on time. What should i really be doing to ensure this baby will run for much longer? What would you guys recommend to be done immediatly, and what could wait. Thanks for the input.

On my old Mustang i put in full synthetic on an engine that had 160k miles on it. Well that caused the oil to work to good. it blew the head gasket. at 70k miles on the 350z would you guys make the transition to blend for 2 cycles then full synthetic?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:28 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Huh!? You are blaming synthetic oil for blowing your old Mustangs head gaskets? Not sure if anyone has ever debated oil on my350z before... Maybe try a search. Read each post carefully and get back to us with your decision.
70k miles isn't that many.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:50 PM
briin79

Originally Posted by DaveJackson
Huh!? You are blaming synthetic oil for blowing your old Mustangs head gaskets? Not sure if anyone has ever debated oil on my350z before... Maybe try a search. Read each post carefully and get back to us with your decision.
i didnt but thats what multiple mechanics stated. the synthetic oil was so good that it crept through the tiny holes in the gasket and allowed more flow. The conventional oil build up was actually helping the gasket keep it from mixing.

My question is a general question on what people would do in my situation. there is no standard protocol to what i was asking.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:24 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I follow the recommended maintenance in the book.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:20 PM
AJCaron12

Why was the radiator and heater core replaced at 30k??
Old 07-20-2011, 04:20 PM
AJCaron12

Oh, and I hate synthetic oil, but that topic belongs in another thread.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:32 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by briin79
i am like most people that do not live in the upperclass and able to afford all maintenence at the stealership when needed. Thus far i replaced brakes, heater core, radiator, belts, plugs at 30k. other than that always had an oil change on time. What should i really be doing to ensure this baby will run for much longer? What would you guys recommend to be done immediatly, and what could wait. Thanks for the input.

On my old Mustang i put in full synthetic on an engine that had 160k miles on it. Well that caused the oil to work to good. it blew the head gasket. at 70k miles on the 350z would you guys make the transition to blend for 2 cycles then full synthetic?
Chill out...my 03 just hit 70,456.
Only thing I've done is oil changes every 6,000 valvoline semi-syn.
Brakes/front&rear.Belts at 60,000.
Same plugs...Thats it dude.Same oil pressure...car runs better than new.
Why the radiator/heater core?
Plus mods,popcharger,intake z tube,spacer,Nismo catback.

The Nissan motor is pretty bullet proof if you don'y overdue it..

Enjoy yourself,you'll livelonger!

Last edited by JCITY; 07-20-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-20-2011, 04:40 PM
SlipZ

Originally Posted by JCITY

i do the same thing, except i use PYB 5-30w, OEM Oil Filter in 3k intervals. Engine runs good and pulls hard. I also cleaned the TB and MAF @ 70k. Other than that i followed OEM maintenance schedule. By the way, i have over 100k right now and still running strong.

have fun with your Z!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:29 PM
mattleegee

i would blame FoMoCo

I drove a toyota truck usings 5-30w synthetic up to 178,000 and when i sold it (to buy my Z) it was running perfect. Wheeling, towing, snow, traffic, it did it all and barely burned any oil inbetween changes
Old 07-20-2011, 07:34 PM
billsrcursed

Transmission/differential fluids... but ya, pretty much what everyone is saying, relax and follow your maintanence schedule.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:20 AM
briin79

Originally Posted by JCITY

LOL dunno why all the relaxes. The heater core was a faulty part that ultimately was covered under a recall. the radiator is something i am not sure of. I do have the JWT Popcharger installed. She does still run strong and pull hard but i just wanted to make some prememptive measures to ensure her logevity.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:21 AM
briin79

Originally Posted by AJCaron12
Why was the radiator and heater core replaced at 30k??
Recall. the motor was overheating when replaced the car cooled down just fine.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:30 AM
briin79

Originally Posted by SlipZ
i do the same thing, except i use PYB 5-30w, OEM Oil Filter in 3k intervals. Engine runs good and pulls hard. I also cleaned the TB and MAF @ 70k. Other than that i followed OEM maintenance schedule. By the way, i have over 100k right now and still running strong.

have fun with your Z!!!
MAF? Its just discouraging when i look at the scheduled maintenance and look at all that i have missed. One thing i do want to do is clean out the throttle body, i feel a slight burp when at idle sometimes. Not often though. I saw this youtube video and thought it would be a good idea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwdYzWzc170
Old 07-21-2011, 06:46 AM
DaveJackson
Master

If you've never cleaned the MAF, I would start with that before digging further. Try this stuff or something similar: http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co....aspx?PN=05110 Heck, I'm half sure it's brake cleaner (acetone) but not "sure" enough to cheap out and chance it.
I know it's intimidating reading the things you've missed, but following many of those service suggestions is just like an insurance policy to keep you from getting stranded/inconvenienced at the side of the road one day, rather than a catastrophic failure of a major component. If you're not that concerned about getting stuck on your way home from work one day, then you can chose to ignore some of them.
For example, I'm not that sure if/when it says "replace all rad hoses" but I would never do that unless there was obvious flaws/wear or one had finally failed. I know it's cheap of me, but I am confident that I will know if it fails right away and I'm not that worried about the hassle of dealing with it at that time. Now, if I traveled a lot more to remote areas with my vehicle, I would probably think differently. I take a close enough look at those components often enough that I feel confident in using my judgement to determine their replacement interval, rather than blindly following a book. You know what I mean?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Bret86944

Probably a good idea to change your coolant.

Why the plugs? I can't remember offhand but I thought the stockers would good for like 75 to 100k miles?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:05 PM
SlipZ

Originally Posted by briin79
MAF? Its just discouraging when i look at the scheduled maintenance and look at all that i have missed. One thing i do want to do is clean out the throttle body, i feel a slight burp when at idle sometimes. Not often though. I saw this youtube video and thought it would be a good idea
..Just follow the OEM schedule and you wll be fine. Most of the Maintenace procudure is listed in the DIY or Tech area. As dave jackson, says you can choose not to do extra, but its your call..Regarding the TB, do not disconnect the TB wire connector when you clean them. You have enough access to clean it without taking the connectors off. If you disconnect the TB connector you need to do the throttle reset procedure which is long. Do your research and ask the mODS if you have to..

-C

Last edited by SlipZ; 07-21-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:49 AM
Mcutali

Thumbs up 70k

i have a 04 touring 72k miles, every fluid has been changed twice. using 10w-30 mobil 1 oil if not the oil psi gauge is off the chart.
check rear subframe bushing for leak. check hoses to heater core and relief valve. make sure u get the tranny fluid from stealership gl4 additive must be in it for brass synchros. check cyclinder 6 for oil in spark plug tube.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:47 AM
DaveJackson
Master

^HA!
This reads a bit like you've only changed your oil twice!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:36 AM
briin79

If you've never cleaned the MAF, I would start with that before digging further. Try this stuff or something similar: http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co....aspx?PN=05110 Heck, I'm half sure it's brake cleaner (acetone) but not "sure" enough to cheap out and chance it.
I know it's intimidating reading the things you've missed, but following many of those service suggestions is just like an insurance policy to keep you from getting stranded/inconvenienced at the side of the road one day, rather than a catastrophic failure of a major component. If you're not that concerned about getting stuck on your way home from work one day, then you can chose to ignore some of them.
For example, I'm not that sure if/when it says "replace all rad hoses" but I would never do that unless there was obvious flaws/wear or one had finally failed. I know it's cheap of me, but I am confident that I will know if it fails right away and I'm not that worried about the hassle of dealing with it at that time. Now, if I traveled a lot more to remote areas with my vehicle, I would probably think differently. I take a close enough look at those components often enough that I feel confident in using my judgement to determine their replacement interval, rather than blindly following a book. You know what I mean?
You nailed it right on the head of pretty much what i was looking to hear. good advice from all. didnt understand really what the rear bushings guy was saying. I will have the tranny fluid swapped out and clean the TB.
I am in the same boat about hoses. the belts were replaced because of major wear.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:37 AM
briin79

Originally Posted by SlipZ
..Just follow the OEM schedule and you wll be fine. Most of the Maintenace procudure is listed in the DIY or Tech area. As dave jackson, says you can choose not to do extra, but its your call..Regarding the TB, do not disconnect the TB wire connector when you clean them. You have enough access to clean it without taking the connectors off. If you disconnect the TB connector you need to do the throttle reset procedure which is long. Do your research and ask the mODS if you have to..

-C
Thanks for the heads up. u just saved me and a friend lots of headaches

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 70k miles on 04, what to do?