Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

WTF? water leaked in the brake/gas pedal during carwash

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:59 AM
user 92720
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF? water leaked in the brake/gas pedal during carwash

ok, so i just got a car wash today (at the "do it yourself" place) just like any other days. but for some odd reason, when i was driving back home, i felt a water drop on my feet (i was wearing slippers) and realized there were water drops on the carpet too. it wasn't like dripping dripping but you can clearly tell water got inside and left a water mark on the carpet too.

when i got home, i managed to squeeze myself under and see where the water was coming from... but i did not see anything except wires. i got worried because i didn't want water touching any wires.

im just curious if anyone had this experience... or know/heard of anything like this. a water leaking in the brake pedal area -.- my best guess is that i recently installed a seibon ts 07-08 hood, which increases the chance of water getting under the hood but other than that, i have no idea what else would be causing this. do you guys think its a big issue? or no biggie? dont know what's going to happen when it starts raining, im sure it won't be this bad though... any thoughts?? thanks guyss
Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yamchehxtodd@ho
my best guess is that i recently installed a seibon ts 07-08 hood
Doubt it. I wash inside the engine bay - no water inside the cockpit.

Did you drill holes to install hood. How are the holes sealed?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 AM
TPete19

Could be from the seal around the windshield or the plastic panels between the hood and windshield. When you were installing your hood, did you remove any of those? Lean on them?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:15 AM
nscheuermann

I had this problem before, not in a Z, but in my Xterra. Water would sometimes leak in after washing the car, having it rained on hard, or sometimes even after running the air conditioner for awhile. Never figured it out though.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:43 AM
user 92720
Banned

Originally Posted by davidv
Doubt it. I wash inside the engine bay - no water inside the cockpit.

Did you drill holes to install hood. How are the holes sealed?

No, all i did was take out my oem hood, and replace it with the new cf hood. thats it.... this is my second time getting a car wash with this hood on. never had this problem before though......
Old 07-28-2011, 09:43 AM
user 92720
Banned

Originally Posted by TPete19
Could be from the seal around the windshield or the plastic panels between the hood and windshield. When you were installing your hood, did you remove any of those? Lean on them?

Nope, all i did was remove the oem hood, and replace it with the new one. thats it..... no drills, no removing, no cutting..
Old 07-28-2011, 09:45 AM
user 92720
Banned

Originally Posted by nscheuermann
I had this problem before, not in a Z, but in my Xterra. Water would sometimes leak in after washing the car, having it rained on hard, or sometimes even after running the air conditioner for awhile. Never figured it out though.

where did it leak? and was it severe or just couple of drops..? it wasnt a huge problem though, right?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Z Fo Sho

the only way water could get there is through the hole in the firewall which is located directly above ur brake pedal. If you check behind your brake box under the hood you will see where the rubber seal is that seals all the wires as they go through the firewall, make sure that there are no leaks or holes in the rubber plug seal. Since you have an aftermarket hood i assume there are cutouts in it for water to enter that area of the engine bay.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:55 AM
nscheuermann

Originally Posted by yamchehxtodd@ho
where did it leak? and was it severe or just couple of drops..? it wasnt a huge problem though, right?
It was more then a few drops. Would usually soak the floor on the opposite side I would turn to. Again, didn't happen all the time, but when it did it was quite annoying. I wouldn't call it a huge problem as it probably had an easy fix, I just never bothered to expolore into it. Mine didn't come from directly above the brake though, it came from what appeared to be back behind the center of the dash because I would leak on both sides.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 AM
slvrman

i have the same problem if someone knows please let me know, it is very annoying to have to blowdry my carpet everytime it rains.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:13 PM
zman_tony310

Default Any updates to this?

Hate to bump up such an old thread. But I was trying to do some research today to see if anyone was having the same problem and this is the only thread that I found. I too have some water leaking directly onto the brake pedal and the carpet underneath it. I was washing the car and noticed it when I was done. If anyone has a fix, please let me know!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:18 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

The best way to find the source of a water leak is to have someone direct a stream of water to all parts of your car until the leak is found. Start low and work your way up. That way, water isn't spilling down your car while you're testing other areas. Remember that water can take just about any route it wants to get to the floor, so don't be surprised if it's the weather stripping on the top of your windshield, a bad seal or grommet on the firewall, a hole in your HVAC system, even a loose sideview mirror can cause leaks. On a sunny day, get a friend to hose your car. Spend about 15 seconds concentrating on each spot and sit in your car with bare feet until you feel drips. It can take a while, but you'll eventually find it. Use a silicon-based sealer to plug up the source of your leak. Since every car is different, and this is not an issue that is common to the car (manufacturing defect), this procedure is the most logical way to diagnose the problem and fix it.