Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Washer fluid not spraying

Old 02-08-2019, 03:59 PM
kauaikarl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350havok
Here's an update. Take wheel and inner fender off to access the washer tank and pumps. All seemed fine, so I disconnected the front hose from the pump and from the front nozzles and sprayed compressed air through it. It didn't seem to have any blockage. I reconnected the hose and turned on the key and tested the washer. The front nozzles sprayed water just like when new, all the nozzles were spaying a strong jet of water. I put inner fender and wheel back on. Later in the day the windshield was dusty, so at a stop light I pulled the stalk to activate the washers and to my surprise nothing happened. The wiper blades moved but only a trickle of water came out. Back home, with the engine off I turned on the key and pulled the stalk to activate the washers and they worked like new, powerful jets of water from all the nozzles. I am at a loss as to why with the key on but engine not running, the washers work fine, but with the engine running they don't work. Any one have an explanation?
Aloha 350havok,

I'm new to this site with this car ('05 350Z convertible) and I have the exact same washer problem that you described. With key on, engine stopped, good fluid stream out of both wiper arm jets. With engine running, a little better than a dribble. It doesn't make sense and defies logic because with the engine running, you would think the washer stream would have even a little bit MORE force since the washer motor now has about 14 volts feeding it instead of just the 12 volts it would have with engine stopped.

Was wondering if you got any further with some answers to this issue, or had any additional insights of your own.

Mahalo,

kauaikarl
Old 02-01-2021, 09:40 PM
johnsal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kauaikarl

Aloha Kauaikarl,

Did you (or anyone else) get their washers spraying right? I just moved to Kona, and my car failed the Hawaii Safety Test today because my windshield washer has never worked on my 2007 Enthusiast model.

I found the Y valve mentioned above, and unplugged the input hose. Nothing. I hear the pump, which, along with the tank, I had replaced years ago, but the friend who was working on something else on the car did that ad a favor, and never bothered to find the source of the issue.

My Z has a salvage title because of a front end accident, so I suspect my issue is that there's an air leak someplace, so the water tank never gets pressurized.

Gotta figure it out because I FINALLY have a DMV appointment in 2 days, and have to find 2 rear tires and trim my windshield tinting below the A(downward arrow)S1 line on the passenger side glass.

At least there's no smog test here, like in California!

Update: Spent all evening pursuing the air leak theory with no luck. But, although could soon I heard the pump when pulling the stalk, there doesn't seem to be any power to the pumps. I read that fuse 84 controls wipers and washers, but that can't be right. My wipers have always worked, and continued to do so with fuse 84 removed. And, there's no voltage on either side of the empty fuse 84 fuse block location, even with the stalk pulled. I'm tired and confused!

Last edited by johnsal; 02-03-2021 at 09:36 PM.