Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

CSC went out on my 08!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CSC went out on my 08!

My extended waranty wont cover it and neither will the 60k miles waranty through nissan. Needless to say im pissed!

I will be doing the work myself since its not covered and wanted to upgrade to the z1 CSC heavy duty setup and keep my stock clutch as it is still good.

My main question is will this upgraded CSC have any effect on my waranty in regards to the transmision? Ive tried searching and havent really found anything of importance....Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:15 PM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing it probably will affect the warranty..or at least in the eyes of the dealership. Bottom line is that they'd have to prove the HD CSC contributed to whatever went wrong or broke. Changing out a part doesn't necessarily void the entire warranty, but it'll probably make things a little difficult when you're trying to claim something, drivetrain related. As far as how it would specifically affect the drivetrain, I'd probably leave that to the experienced to respond.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:20 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nissan will try its best not to payout warranty money. They will come up with a dozen reasons.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Junkster

Well i have the 60k miles waranty through nissan but i also got extended waranty through the Ford dealership where i picked up the car.

Im thinking the same thing, but i really dont want to be replacing that stupid CSC every time. It decided to break on me while on the skidpad im pretty sure the stock plastic crap CSC doesnt react too well to clutch kicking i guess

Im debating just saving myself some money and replacing it with OEM CSC and crossing my fingers that it will last me another 40k miles...

Still any feedback will be greatly appreiciated!
Old 11-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Junkster

Lol 60 views and 2 comments?! sheesh! lol

Looks like im going to buy the Heavy duty CSC from Z performance. I dont see how they could ever attribute any tranny problems to a Slave Cylinder or SS lines...that just makes NO sense to me. Specially since the stock unit is a plastic POS...I guess if i ever blow up the tranny i could always just drop it and swap it out before i send it in JUST in case...

My main question is, i was onder the impression that the CSC needed to be replaced everytime the tranny was dropped due to the piston extending out farther than normal when taking it out and getting contaminated with clutch dust and dirt and stuff...

If thats the case as per the FSM, how would they not cover the part now? I mean if i blew up my tranny and they had to rebuild it, wouldnt that part have to be replaced with a new one as a result of them removing the tranny?!?! So confusing...
Old 11-21-2011, 01:46 PM
musubi

Originally Posted by Junkster
Lol 60 views and 2 comments?! sheesh! lol

Looks like im going to buy the Heavy duty CSC from Z performance. I dont see how they could ever attribute any tranny problems to a Slave Cylinder or SS lines...that just makes NO sense to me. Specially since the stock unit is a plastic POS...I guess if i ever blow up the tranny i could always just drop it and swap it out before i send it in JUST in case...

My main question is, i was onder the impression that the CSC needed to be replaced everytime the tranny was dropped due to the piston extending out farther than normal when taking it out and getting contaminated with clutch dust and dirt and stuff...

If thats the case as per the FSM, how would they not cover the part now? I mean if i blew up my tranny and they had to rebuild it, wouldnt that part have to be replaced with a new one as a result of them removing the tranny?!?! So confusing...
Yes, a new CSC needs to be installed. If you're using an aftermarket item (i.e. HD CSC) in the trans and your trans blows, they can repair/replace it for you, however it'll probably be at your cost, unless you could prove the non-stock HD slave did not contribute to the blowing of the trans.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Junkster

Originally Posted by musubi
Yes, a new CSC needs to be installed. If you're using an aftermarket item (i.e. HD CSC) in the trans and your trans blows, they can repair/replace it for you, however it'll probably be at your cost, unless you could prove the non-stock HD slave did not contribute to the blowing of the trans.
If thats the case then why is this not covered by my waranty then? lol

If this isnt covered then i guess when my tranny blows up they will cover everything OTHER than the CSC when they have to replace the old one regardless if it was still functional or not??

I just dont understand how the tranny can be covered but this isnt...i mean is what im saying making sense??
Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish someone would start a class action lawsuit against Nissan for the CSC problems. It just makes me sick that you guys have to put up with the such a POS system on your cars.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Junkster

^ seriously!

This **** just doesn't make sense to me...and why they designed this Csc out of plastic is retarded...shame on Nissan! Lol
Old 11-21-2011, 09:54 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i have the 60k miles waranty through nissan but i also got extended waranty through the Ford dealership where i picked up the car.

Im thinking the same thing, but i really dont want to be replacing that stupid CSC every time. It decided to break on me while on the skidpad im pretty sure the stock plastic crap CSC doesnt react too well to clutch kicking i guess

Im debating just saving myself some money and replacing it with OEM CSC and crossing my fingers that it will last me another 40k miles...

Still any feedback will be greatly appreiciated!
HMM...what were you doing here and what else have you done as far as racing/skid pad stuff? The CSCs on 08s (those not subject to CSC recall on some 07s) should be fine. Those that failed on some 07s were defective and recalled. I know the HD CSC is much stronger, but I have an 08 with stock set up and 43K mi with no problems at all. If you hammered the clutch (as you indicate here), then that's what can happen.

Last edited by ronn1; 11-21-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Junkster

Originally Posted by ronn1
HMM...what were you doing here and what else have you done as far as racing/skid pad stuff? The CSCs on 08s (those not subject to CSC recall on some 07s) should be fine. Those that failed on some 07s were defective and recalled. I know the HD CSC is much stronger, but I have an 08 with stock set up and 43K mi with no problems at all. If you hammered the clutch (as you indicate here), then that's what can happen.
well i was clutchkicking to initiate...As far as any prior track or skidpad stuff that was my first time...

I wasnt beligerently beating the crap out of it, i thought it was kind of normal "abuse" as far as im concerned. The stock unit looks identical to the recalled CSC and its still made out of plastic which is retarded as fawk..regardless i have another track day on the 11th thats double the distance from this past track day and im not trying to get stranded and have to search fora tow home again...

The reassurement of replacing the stock unit with a LEGIT setup is well worth the price of admission IMHO...
Old 11-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Itzcashew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nissan should cover your csc. its a well documented issue, fight it till they fix it.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM
musubi

If thats the case then why is this not covered by my waranty then? lol

If this isnt covered then i guess when my tranny blows up they will cover everything OTHER than the CSC when they have to replace the old one regardless if it was still functional or not??

I just dont understand how the tranny can be covered but this isnt...i mean is what im saying making sense??
To me, since the CSC is part of the drivetrain, the part should be covered under warranty by replacing it with the OEM CSC. Your question was if the HD CSC would have an affect on the warranty if you installed it. In that case, the dealership may give you a hard time if something should happen.

Just playing devils advocate here, but the dealership may decide to fight and aim towards not covering the trans (if it blows) while using the HD slave.

I agree that a slave may not do much to blowing a trans or ruining anything, but as davidv mentioned, Nissan will do their best not to dish out warranty money.

Why not install a new flywheel and clutch while you're you're in there? HD Slave might be a little overkill for the stock, as the HD slave was intended for the increased pressure from the aftermarket pressure plate. But I understand the concern for it blowing again.

Check your warranty info and read the magnuson moss warranty act.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Junkster

Originally Posted by musubi
To me, since the CSC is part of the drivetrain, the part should be covered under warranty by replacing it with the OEM CSC. Your question was if the HD CSC would have an affect on the warranty if you installed it. In that case, the dealership may give you a hard time if something should happen.

Just playing devils advocate here, but the dealership may decide to fight and aim towards not covering the trans (if it blows) while using the HD slave.

I agree that a slave may not do much to blowing a trans or ruining anything, but as davidv mentioned, Nissan will do their best not to dish out warranty money.

Why not install a new flywheel and clutch while you're you're in there? HD Slave might be a little overkill for the stock, as the HD slave was intended for the increased pressure from the aftermarket pressure plate. But I understand the concern for it blowing again.

Check your warranty info and read the magnuson moss warranty act.
Yea, if something happens with the tranny ill just swap it out back to stock before i send it in for waranty work...screw it...i just dont want to get stranded 1-2+ hours away from home like last time, this is just reassurement...

as for nissan/ford (waranty by both) they stated that although the transmission is covered, the CSC is a wear item and not technically an "internally lubricated part" so its not covered...guess it fits under the catagory of the clutch i guess....
Old 11-22-2011, 03:46 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Itzcashew
Nissan should cover your csc. its a well documented issue, fight it till they fix it.
Maybe you should read this

Clutch kicking:

http://www.driftingstreet.com/clutch...technique.html

Don't Break The Driveshaft!!

The only big downside is that the clutch just wears down a lot faster, and in some cases it can break something in the driveline. So always keep your car and its parts in top condition! To upgrade parts that are exposed to a lot of stress, such as, in this situation the clutch, is not a bad idea at all
Old 11-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Junkster

What does this have to do with my OP? lol

Originally Posted by ronn1
Maybe you should read this

Clutch kicking:

http://www.driftingstreet.com/clutch...technique.html

Don't Break The Driveshaft!!

The only big downside is that the clutch just wears down a lot faster, and in some cases it can break something in the driveline. So always keep your car and its parts in top condition! To upgrade parts that are exposed to a lot of stress, such as, in this situation the clutch, is not a bad idea at all
Old 11-23-2011, 02:13 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

What does this have to do with my OP? lol
I think he's insinuating that you kind of did it to yourself by placing an OEM component under stresses it was not designed for, and now you're angry that it broke. If you're going to track/thrash your car, you probably want to upgrade those parts anyway.

Overall though, I do agree with you in the sense that it's a poorly designed part and should be recalled. I find it laughable that Nissan gets away with saying the recall only applies to the 2007 model when it didn't change one iota by the time the 2008's came out. The best thing you can do is file a safety complaint with the NHTSA. If they get enough complaints, then Nissan might be compelled to do something about it. I've filed a complaint on the CSC bottoming out, but that was just trying to get up to speed from a stop. I wasn't throwing the car around.

Regardless, don't let the dealer know what you were doing when the CSC blew, or they're just going to laugh in your face. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Junkster

oh I know...I hAven't and will not mention any of the track stuff...and to be honest it was all very minor in regards to clutch kicking, I was using weight transfer and powering over most of the time with the occasional clutch kick to get my angle a little more aggressive...

It doesn't take much to get the z sideways...it's not like how I clutch Kick my ka in my 510!

I already ordered the HD CSC and it should be here friday or Saturday. So regardless of whether or not Nissan changes their mind (my tech sent them a requesting email to reconsider) I'm still going to replace the part and keep the new part they replace as a spare just incase...

I highly doubt Nissan will do anything in my favor however...

I don't plan on upgrading the clutch or flywheel untill I burn out my Clutch...an even then I may just replace with oem stuff just to avoid more possible waranty issues if I were to have problems with my tranny down the road...this is already a bug enough of a headache as it is!

Originally Posted by zakmartin
I think he's insinuating that you kind of did it to yourself by placing an OEM component under stresses it was not designed for, and now you're angry that it broke. If you're going to track/thrash your car, you probably want to upgrade those parts anyway.

Overall though, I do agree with you in the sense that it's a poorly designed part and should be recalled. I find it laughable that Nissan gets away with saying the recall only applies to the 2007 model when it didn't change one iota by the time the 2008's came out. The best thing you can do is file a safety complaint with the NHTSA. If they get enough complaints, then Nissan might be compelled to do something about it. I've filed a complaint on the CSC bottoming out, but that was just trying to get up to speed from a stop. I wasn't throwing the car around.

Regardless, don't let the dealer know what you were doing when the CSC blew, or they're just going to laugh in your face. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:17 AM
sfierros86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wanted to say that i was in the same boat as you.... my csc went out on 07 base model and i had only driven the car for 2k since i got it. i baby the my z so i just had the bad luck of it going bad. i have an extended warranty i purchased from future ford of clovis but when i called they told me it wast covered. so had to drop my tranny. i spent 700 in parts to get it running again. i got a jwt clutch kit, nismo pilot, ss clutch line, oem csc from concepts. so far happy with the stock csc and jwt clutch. took me a day to drop the tranny and put it back in the car, so I'm hopping the oem csc will hold at least 20k.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 PM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sfierros86
just wanted to say that i was in the same boat as you.... my csc went out on 07 base model and i had only driven the car for 2k since i got it. i baby the my z so i just had the bad luck of it going bad. i have an extended warranty i purchased from future ford of clovis but when i called they told me it wast covered. so had to drop my tranny. i spent 700 in parts to get it running again. i got a jwt clutch kit, nismo pilot, ss clutch line, oem csc from concepts. so far happy with the stock csc and jwt clutch. took me a day to drop the tranny and put it back in the car, so I'm hopping the oem csc will hold at least 20k.
Don't bet on the oem CSC holding. Do your research and you will see the JWT clutch is particularly bad on the oem CSC because the JWT pressure plate's fingers are not the right shape / contact point on the throwout bearing.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic here but its been shown more than enough times that if your upgrading your clutch on an HR, you need to replace the CSC. There is a sleeve you can put on the bearing to help but i'm not sure how its performed in the field.

Good luck!