Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

PLEASE HELP-03 Z will not start sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:12 PM
keastla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP-03 Z will not start sometimes

This has been an ongoing problem for a few years now. Sometimes my Z will not start. I have no idea why it does not start. Most of the time the car starts fine. I can go months without having an issue. Then one day I put the key in and turn the key and nothing happens. The car makes no attempt to start. Then I wait a minute and try again and it fires right up. I took the car to Nissan a couple of years ago and they ran some tests and told me I need to get my key re-programmed. Charged me 200 bucks and sent me on my way. The car started fine for a few months but then the problem came back. I took the car back and Nissan told me I needed a new battery. I replaced the battery and again it started fine for a few months and started giving me problems again. Some days are worse than others. Most bad days I only need to try 2-3 times to get it to fire up but other days it takes like 20 tries. I hate that it only does it sometimes because its near impossible to get the car to replicate the problem at a shop. Any advice?

Sorry for the confusion. Yes when I say the car does not start I mean it does nothing. I put the key in and turn it and absolutely nothing happens. I take the key completely out and put it back in to start it. Sometimes thats all I have to do. Other times it takes 4 or 5 tries to get it to start.

**Update***
So I decided to run into Auto Zone to get them to see if it was throwing any codes. The code they pulled up was P1615 which is "Nissan anti-theft system (NATS) failure". I called Nissan and they wanted me to bring in the car to replace the anti-theft system antenna. Does that sound like the solution? Anyone have to do this before? I really do not like to go to Nissan with repairs. If I can get the part and replace it myself that would be great. I just want to make sure that will solve the problem. Thank you all for your help.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 AM
BipJip

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the same problem happened to my chevy. the key has a chip in it, and when you get it around magnets it erases the info on the key. now when you put the key back in the ignition it take a few time to reset the keys programing. i ended up replacing the ignition switch and key 4 times before i realized what i was doing.