Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

HELP! 2003 350z Touring Model Power Locks and Passenger Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 AM
pr0xx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! 2003 350z Touring Model Power Locks and Passenger Window Problem

Hey guys,

Sorry if I posted in the wrong place, I'm new here. Last night, I got in my Z and for some reason, the alarm went off for no reason (not sure if this is relevant to anything). Once I got in the car, I realized that the power door locks were not working. I rolled down both windows and noticed that the passenger one will not roll back up. The driver side works fine (except the power door locks). I have checked all the fuses, window lock button (lol), and tried to reset the battery. The windows have worked perfectly fine until last night as well as the power door locks. I have not tried resetting the window motor yet, but am not sure that would do anything. I saw another post where someone had the same problem and it was a loose-wire issue in the door frame. I live in a pretty crime-heavy area and need to get the window back up ASAP. Where should I look and is there any quick fix? It's Sunday and the dealer is not open.

Thanks,
pr0xx
Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Z4ToddB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjangin
Thought I would post this here in case anyone has the same problem in the future.

First thing that happened was my driver's side window motor seemed to be going out. It would roll up or down very slowly. So I used the method of banging the crap out of the door or slamming the door when it got stuck to get it back up. After a while any time I would turn the ignition off and open the door, my passenger window would roll down by itself.

I tried the reset procedure on the passenger window many times, and it didnt help. So I unplugged it so it would stay up until I figured out what was going on.

I replaced the driver's side window motor, and now both windows worked wonderfully with the car on, but both would roll down as soon as the ignition was off and a door was opened.

Finally, FINALLY, today after months of frustration I figured it out. There is a feature on our cars that when you put the physical key in on the drive side and hold it for a few seconds, the windows roll down automatically. My banging/slamming the door when my original motor was half dead had made the little electronic piece that sits on the lock come loose, and therefore it was always sending a roll down signal when it could to both windows. I took the handle off and put the piece back on and all is finally well with my windows.
Not sure if this is the exact issue, but might be worth a try?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Moved to the correct subforum