Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Hatch bumpers not springy enough

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 PM
atomicdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch bumpers not springy enough

This issue has probably been answered already, and I apologize if that's the case... if someone can point me to a thread for it I would appreciate it. I have an issue with the rear hatch when I press the trunk button on the remote, or when I press the hatch release, it doesn't spring up enough, so I have to grab the hatch and press the button again. Anyone else have this issue? Are there replacement aftermarket hatch bumpers that fix this problem for good? My Z is an '03 and I've had this problem since like '05. I don't know why I've put up with it for so long lol. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:34 PM
atomicdog

I should clarify... when I say it doesn't spring up enough... I mean it's still latched and I have to press the button again while pulling it up to unlatch it.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Kulwiec

Have the same problem lol, no solutions however.
In for results!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Ak48z

You need to put pennies on top of the springs. Usually 2-4 does the trick.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:58 PM
ndilo21

Or purchase new hatch struts. A bunch of the vendors on here sell stronger ones. the penny thing can work, but I've also heard of it denting the car where the plugs make contact.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
03trackfred

Default Hatch lift supports

You need new lift supports. When you press to open your hatch it will pop right open.
I ordered a set from this ebayer and they work great.
Nice product.

Member id mrlousstuff ( Feedback Score Of 40417Teal shooting star icon for feedback score in between 25,000 to 49,999) About member
99.9% Positive feedback

Visit store: Ebay StoresLift Supports Depot
Item number: 330508429224
Item location: CA, United States
Ships to: Worldwide
Old 02-28-2012, 07:07 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I got new high pressure lift supports but the issue is still there. Tried two pennies, might try three. Too many pennies and you'll see some mosquito bites on the other side of the trunk.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:08 PM
PikesPeakZ

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atomicdog
This issue has probably been answered already, and I apologize if that's the case... if someone can point me to a thread for it I would appreciate it. I have an issue with the rear hatch when I press the trunk button on the remote, or when I press the hatch release, it doesn't spring up enough, so I have to grab the hatch and press the button again. Anyone else have this issue? Are there replacement aftermarket hatch bumpers that fix this problem for good? My Z is an '03 and I've had this problem since like '05. I don't know why I've put up with it for so long lol. Thanks.
Buy Z1's UHP Hatch Struts and it will be fixed.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 PM
atomicdog

I have new hatch struts actually... that didn't fix this problem though, at least for me. It did fix the problem of the hatch not staying up when it's cold, but not this problem.

Sooo... The penny thing actually works or are you guys effing with me?!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 PM
PikesPeakZ

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have new hatch struts actually... that didn't fix this problem though, at least for me. It did fix the problem of the hatch not staying up when it's cold, but not this problem.

Sooo... The penny thing actually works or are you guys effing with me?!
It works kind of. Start with 2 and if that doesn't work try 3. Be careful though too many will create a tiny bump on the top of the hatch.

BTW you may have new hatch struts but he Z1 UHP struts are so strong they push the hatch up when hitting the hatch release button.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:11 PM
R350Zz33

A penny for your thoughts ?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had this issue since day one on my car, but I just blamed it on the nismo wing.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 PM
atomicdog

Originally Posted by PikesPeakZ
BTW you may have new hatch struts but he Z1 UHP struts are so strong they push the hatch up when hitting the hatch release button.
Man I JUST put these other hatch struts on too... but having it pop right up when I press the button sounds really nice. Ugh. I thought for sure by now someone would be making an aftermarket hatch spring that is stronger than stock to fix this. I guess it's time to see what the return policy is on the other hatch struts...
Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 AM
NZMOWND

UHP Struts from Z1 Motorsports, buy them, install them, be happy....i did a video of them in a thread on here to lazy to search tho lol
Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 AM
atomicdog

Originally Posted by NZMOWND
UHP Struts from Z1 Motorsports, buy them, install them, be happy....i did a video of them in a thread on here to lazy to search tho lol
Hmmm.. I'm watching these videos about these struts and they don't seem to be popping the hatch all the way open when the button is pressed... am I misunderstanding? This one has a big spoiler so that's understandable...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-KW5LQ50bcc

But this one has the tiny stock spoiler and it still doesn't just lift right up... (see 4:00 in the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0HWd...layer_embedded

Were you saying that they would pop the hatch all the way up when the button is pressed?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:54 AM
03trackfred

Default Hatch struts

You said when I say it doesn't spring up enough... I mean it's still latched and I have to press the button again while pulling it up to unlatch it.

And what i was trying to tell you by pops right up.... it pops up above the latch. You still need to lift the hatch. You will find no struts that lift the hatch up on their own. Hope this helps explain things better.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:59 AM
atomicdog

Thanks Fred... That does clarify. I was referring to PikesPeakZ's comment that...

Originally Posted by PikesPeakZ
I wasn't sure if he meant that it would push the hatch all the way open or that they would get it past the latch point. Because if it pushed them all the way open that would be effing awesome! I would love to just press the button and have the hatch come all the way up.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 AM
prfectz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Z1 UHP struts will lift the hatch above the latch point if you do not have a spoiler. It will not lift it all the way open.

If you have a spoiler, depending on the weight of the spoiler, the UHP struts may not lift the hatch above the latch point. I had a nismo V1 spoiler and I had the same problem, but without a spoiler it works fine.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 AM
NZMOWND

I wasn't sure if he meant that it would push the hatch all the way open or that they would get it past the latch point. Because if it pushed them all the way open that would be effing awesome! I would love to just press the button and have the hatch come all the way up.
Yeah thats not gonna happen...cant watch videos cuz im at work but im guessing the one with the giant wing is me lol
Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 AM
NZMOWND

Originally Posted by prfectz
the Z1 UHP struts will lift the hatch above the latch point if you do not have a spoiler. It will not lift it all the way open.

If you have a spoiler, depending on the weight of the spoiler, the UHP struts may not lift the hatch above the latch point. I had a nismo V1 spoiler and I had the same problem, but without a spoiler it works fine.
this is wrong...if you get the UHP and not just the HP it will release it all the way beyond the latch point, not open it but beyond the latch point, i have a V3 wing and a 23" TV on my hatch and it still unlatches it just fine...

Quick Reply: Hatch bumpers not springy enough