Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Overheating? Fans or Thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:32 PM
IXI DECAY IXI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating? Fans or Thermostat?

I did a search but didn't really find a definite answer for my question. I have a 2004 350z and for the past few months the cars temp is fine while i'm moving and driving but when I sit still or i'm in stand still traffic for a while it starts to overheat.

I just went outside and popped the hood and turned the AC on for about 5 minutes and my fans never turned on so my main question is. Is there a fuse that controls the fan or could my fan motors be bad or did I not give them enough time to turn on?

I'm guessing my thermostat could also be the problem after reading some threads but I would like to diagnose the fan problem first.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:29 PM
CTS13

Are you good at testing electrical equipment? Lets break out the possibilities.

Fans-Not likely but disconnect the fans from under radiator support and stick sewing needles or something equivalent in the connector and send voltage down one side and ground the other. Fans should spin.
Fuse-Clearly just check fuse and make sure its not blown
Relay- Tricky but unlikely, google on how to test your relay.
Thermostat- Check your bottom hose, if that is hot as well, then your thermostat opens and thats not the issue.
Air - Make sure theres no air in lines, jack up the front of the car and take off the radiator cap, start the car and let it run for 10 mins on idle, then hold the rpm steady at 2k and should empty out any air in system. fill up if it goes down.
wires- LASTLY but most complicated, check continuety with multimeter from ecm to fans but im sure your wire going bad is highly unlikely.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:33 AM
IXI DECAY IXI

Originally Posted by CTS13
Are you good at testing electrical equipment? Lets break out the possibilities.

Fans-Not likely but disconnect the fans from under radiator support and stick sewing needles or something equivalent in the connector and send voltage down one side and ground the other. Fans should spin.
Fuse-Clearly just check fuse and make sure its not blown
Relay- Tricky but unlikely, google on how to test your relay.
Thermostat- Check your bottom hose, if that is hot as well, then your thermostat opens and thats not the issue.
Air - Make sure theres no air in lines, jack up the front of the car and take off the radiator cap, start the car and let it run for 10 mins on idle, then hold the rpm steady at 2k and should empty out any air in system. fill up if it goes down.
wires- LASTLY but most complicated, check continuety with multimeter from ecm to fans but im sure your wire going bad is highly unlikely.
Do you happen to know which fuse would control the fans or what it would be labeled in the manual?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:34 AM
IXI DECAY IXI

Also, I was thinking maybe my fan motor could have went bad but wouldn't it be very rare for both fan motors to go out at the same time? That's why I'm thinking fuse as well.

Was 5 minutes of idle with the AC enough time to allow the fans to turn on or do I need to let it run longer?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:58 PM
CTS13

I never have a/c in any of my cars so i wouldnt know that method. To check your fans, just send voltage down the wires like i said and that should result in a fail or spin. I doubt its your fans, start with the easy stuff first. And i have no idea where the fuse is.

Last edited by CTS13; 03-11-2012 at 08:10 PM.