RPM drop on startup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RPM drop on startup?

Hey all,

I'll get to the point.

Starting my '04 Z for over a year now has been normal, except for the last six months where sometimes at startup the Z would go to normal rev..then drop a little more than normal...make a silent pause sound..then it revs up to stable around 1k.

For the first time today, on a warm day, (not a cold winter or anything) it did the lowest rpm drop and stuttered to almost stalling..and then caught itself.

It seems to have progressed to this point, as it didn't use to go as low in rpm drop as six months ago, then it went a little lower, and now it truly almost stalled. Every startup from then today, about six of them, was dead on perfect.

I'm no mechanic...and this is my first Z bought a little over a year ago.

Mileage at 101,000 and change, was examined by a garage and dealership has seen my car too, all say it's in really great condition.

All help appreciated as to what to look for or try, and thanks sincerely for all help in diagnosing and fixing this issue. This is my baby!

Saved
Old 05-15-2012, 11:53 PM
savedbygrace

Oh I should clarify something...

garage and dealership saw my car when I first bought it...no mechanic has taken a look at the issue I'm describing.

Sorry for any confusion,

Saved
Old 05-16-2012, 01:25 AM
nachospizza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any code throw out? From my experiences it might be a broken MAF sensor or a going to fail Fuel Pump!!! I have the same sympthom like you and I replaced a completel new fuel pump unit OEM and it works fine now no more drop to low rpm on idle!!!

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
Hey all,

I'll get to the point.

Starting my '04 Z for over a year now has been normal, except for the last six months where sometimes at startup the Z would go to normal rev..then drop a little more than normal...make a silent pause sound..then it revs up to stable around 1k.

For the first time today, on a warm day, (not a cold winter or anything) it did the lowest rpm drop and stuttered to almost stalling..and then caught itself.

It seems to have progressed to this point, as it didn't use to go as low in rpm drop as six months ago, then it went a little lower, and now it truly almost stalled. Every startup from then today, about six of them, was dead on perfect.

I'm no mechanic...and this is my first Z bought a little over a year ago.

Mileage at 101,000 and change, was examined by a garage and dealership has seen my car too, all say it's in really great condition.

All help appreciated as to what to look for or try, and thanks sincerely for all help in diagnosing and fixing this issue. This is my baby!

Saved
Old 05-16-2012, 11:54 AM
savedbygrace

Where would the code throw out?, on the left gauge at top of center console?

Mine always reads speedometer as that's how I've set it, but if a code throws...would it stay on that gauge until I click something, or would it disappear before I noticed it?

No codes seen anywhere that I can tell, and thanks for the reply.

My dad wondered about the air filter as well, but we don't know yet.

What did the fuel pump run ya? And is it DIYable?

Saved
Old 05-16-2012, 03:11 PM
mjc1055

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

codes are stored in the ecu. your check engine light would alert you to the fact that your car is throwing an error code. you can go to autozone, borrow an OBD reader, plug it into your cars diagnostic port and see what code is being thrown, specifically.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 PM
savedbygrace

Thanks mjc, then no codes have been thrown, no question.

Any thoughts on what's behind this?

Saved