Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

HELP: multiple lights do not function properly (interior and exterior)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 03:23 PM
vndr09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: multiple lights do not function properly (interior and exterior)

Let me start by saying that I went ahead and replaced literally every possible exterior light on the G35 coupe to an LED. The next day is when I noticed the problem... (I know it's not a 350Z, but I figured the wiring (and therefore the problem) could be the same.)

If the light stock is in the AUTO position, and it becomes night time, the ONLY thing that happens is the headlights come on. (same goes for if the light stock is in the ON position...only the headlights come on.) I can't remember if my 350Z had an AUTO function, so just pretend that when I say AUTO I'm referring to when the light stock is in the ON position.

Nothing else functions right. My gauges that normally are bright during that day do not dim at night anymore, and the rest of my interior which is normally off during the day does not light up anymore (so I can't see any of the buttons because they stay black)...however, my door/window switches light up, but that's it.

My front parking lights only work when I am using the turn signal, or locking/unlocking my car. My corner lights don't work period. My rear lights only work when I am braking, but they do not work other than that (therefore, it's super dangerous to drive at night). My rear turn signals work as they should.

So I have the following problems:

(1) Interior does not dim, nor come on (respective to the lights) at night time, or once the light stock is turn to the ON/PARKING position.
(2) Navi no longer auto switches between night and day settings
(3) [Clear] corner lights no longer work
(4) Front parking lights no longer light up at night, but still work when I am activating the turn signal
(5) Rear lights do not light up and night, but only work when I am braking.

I've searched, and I cannot find anyone with the same problemS. Yes, I've found issues where certain people have one or maybe two of the above problems, but that's it. I've tried replacing my front turn signals and corner lights back to stock, but that did nothing.

I don't think it could be a fuse, because some of the issues above involve lights that still work at certain times, but not all the time...but maybe there are separate fuses for different operations for each light?

I have already tried "resetting" my ECU by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for an hour, but that changed nothing.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by vndr09; 07-22-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: updated the attempted fix process
Old 07-22-2012, 04:52 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea how to fix your problem.
Why did you want to replace every light with a LED?
Its sort of a "reap what you sow" deal.
You try to tackle something that makes no sense doing
in the first place now you trying to dig your way out.
Should have a Civic to rice up.Maybe the damage would be less.
Your message reads a hysterical guy freaking out.
I can't stop laughing.
You may want to start with your ECU...

Last edited by JCITY; 07-22-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:21 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change everything back to original bulbs
Get car "happy" again

Then you have 2 options:
A. Leave it alone

B. Change them one at a time and confirm that it didn't eff stuff up before you add another (process of elimination)
Old 07-22-2012, 05:50 PM
vndr09

Originally Posted by JCITY
I have no idea how to fix your problem.
Why did you want to replace every light with a LED?
Its sort of a "reap what you sow" deal.
You try to tackle something that makes no sense doing
in the first place now you trying to dig your way out.
Should have a Civic to rice up.Maybe the damage would be less.
Your message reads a hysterical guy freaking out.
I can't stop laughing.
You may want to start with your ECU...
First, I wanna thank you for your helpful post.

Second, I wanna argue that the LED's are not ricing up anything. They're LED's dude. You know how many Z owners upgrade from the 03-05 Z's to get the LED taillights offered on the 06-08 models? Same thing. My turn signals are now more modern and brighter, my reverse lights actually look white, and my corner lights are also more white as well. Ricing up something would be like putting a huge spoiler onto a Z, just to give you a comparison that makes sense.

Third, not sure what your problem is, but I come on this forum asking for help and you make a fairly uneducated post possible that has no contribution whatsoever to the problem. My experience when people have posted issues on these forums is that first the OP has to put up with the few people who have nothing to do but make pointless posts before you get to the people who actually have experienced the same or similar issue who can help out.

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Change everything back to original bulbs
Get car "happy" again

Then you have 2 options:
A. Leave it alone

B. Change them one at a time and confirm that it didn't eff stuff up before you add another (process of elimination)

I've already changed it back to stock; the issue hasn't changed. This is really quite the phenomenon.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:56 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Wow. Then you're really in a pickle.

LEDs do not have the same resistance as your stock bulbs and if you just swap it all out without any idea of the impact that you can have on your electrical system and components - that's what JCITY was getting at with the rice comment.

It's pretty widely known on here that swaps to LEDs instead of bulbs can cause electrical problems… that's why it's considered "rice" to do, because whether or not you think that it improves form, many do not think that it improves form, and it definitely has a negative impact on function. That's how most folks define rice on here.

RICE =
FORM: Ricers think it looks or sounds good / Normal folks think it looks or sounds bad
FUNCTION: Ricers think it improves performance / Tests or proof shows that it decreases performance

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 07-22-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:05 PM
vndr09

Lol ok when I owned my 350Z for 25 months I never even considered changing anything to LED's, and I didn't...

For the G35 folks, an interior LED kit is one thing, but LED reverse lights and turn signals is like the really luxurious thing to have. Look at EVERY luxury car out on the road today...LED turn signals...they have such a quicker on/off look and look a million times better.

In regards to your FORM/FUNCTION depiction, I agree, however:

My LEDs: look much better according to everyone on the forums (I'd post a freakin video to show you guys but I really don't care that much if a few people, before scrutinizing it themselves, think it's rice). But I GUARANTEE that if you guys saw a video, or just a picture, you would really appreciate how they look. It is quite nice.

My LEDs also do not affect performance whatsoever. That's not an issue.

Herego, LED's (in my respect) are not rice. I will admit, however, that sometimes LEDs can be taken way too far. I understand, but this is not the case. They look SO close to stock, yet so much better.

Lastly, I have two 6 ohm resistors set up on each side of the car to accommodate the loss in wattage. I think the last thing I'm going to try is changing all the bulbs back to stock, and then disconnecting the battery (therefore resetting the ECU), and seeing if that fixes anything.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

And I wasn't saying that it is rice… I was just explaining where he was coming from so you didn't think that he was fresh off the turnip truck from left field.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:18 PM
vndr09

Hmmmmmmm. Welp, now that we've established a defense for anyone on this forum to call my fairly unnoticeable mod rice, we can perhaps move on to a possible fix for the issue?

If there's anyone that has experienced this problem or knows a possible step to fix, lemme know!

I think my next step is going to be combining my first two remedy-possibliities into one: disconnecting the battery, then replacing all bulbs back to stock, and the reconnecting the battery. If this doesn't work, then I'll be willing to try just about any suggestions before I take it into a shop!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:22 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Yep, that's probably a good first step. If that doesn't fix it, I'd guess that you have a problem with your BCM (introduced by the unexpected difference in resistance and load of the LEDs versus the original bulbs).

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 07-22-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:22 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Better safe than sorry...SEARCH

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Wow. Then you're really in a pickle.

LEDs do not have the same resistance as your stock bulbs and if you just swap it all out without any idea of the impact that you can have on your electrical system and components - that's what JCITY was getting at with the rice comment.

It's pretty widely known on here that swaps to LEDs instead of bulbs can cause electrical problems… that's why it's considered "rice" to do, because whether or not you think that it improves form, many do not think that it improves form, and it definitely has a negative impact on function. That's how most folks define rice on here.

RICE =
FORM: Ricers think it looks or sounds good / Normal folks think it looks or sounds bad
FUNCTION: Ricers think it improves performance / Tests or proof shows that it decreases performance
My intent was not to flame the OP.I believe its everyone's perogative to do what they want to their car.If they like it,thats what counts.The LED thing
has gone a bit extreme.Every car parts place now has a full aisle of LED stuff.
It used to be "under car lighting".Now we have moved onto LED's.Thats fine,
I'm not one to be a follower because all the "new cars" have e'm.IMO,some of the new cars like Kia,Hyundai have these lights.At night they tend to look like
something at Christmas.
A little goes a long way.
My point was do your research BEFORE you start something.If you don't,
you may have a ricer on your hands...and one that does'nt work right at that!
The value of this forum is the knowkedge from guys that made it through the
"minefield"of potential disaster.You can learn by reading their screw ups.
We all make e'm.Its a good thing to make less of them.
As mentioned,the LED thing has been widely discussed.Tailight problems and others.Its all about balancing the current to which the car is programmed to accept.If not,kablooey.Same goes for sound systems.You better understand
something about Ohm's Law before you start hook'in up a bunch of speakers.
If not and you are a DIY'er,learn.Or,take it to someone that knows.
The results can be costly.
I tend to get all my ducks in a row...parts,info etc before I tackle something.
Thats just me.When you wing it,don't have the right tools,break off a stud,
you'll wish you spent a little preplanning.I got a new spoiler coming in.Taking off my OEM rear.No biggie really.But,want it to be perfect.There is no quick way to get that pesky 3-M tape off...some things never change.